• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why cover license plate in ads?

I'm curious why people "Photoshop" their license plates to make them unreadable in ads and other postings. What do they think might happen?

If I had a plate number I could find out where you live (assuming you listed your home address on the registration) and probably where you work in a matter of a few minutes. Then if I "wanted" your car I would know where to find it and then steal it.

Also, some people who track their cars don't want photos on the track for insurance/warranty concerns.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.....

You look like an officer of the law (in your avatar), so you should know something about crime.

I have heard of several incidents of cars been stolen because the thief found the car from a license plate photo.

This exact thing happened over on Rennlist a couple years back when a Lister had his 951 stolen by a guy who got the location of the car from a pic of the license plate.

If you dont think thieves are checking out this site and others like it for cars to steal you are just been naive.

I understand the track vs. insurance risk (although I don't condone it, it just jacks up the premiums for the rest of us).

As for finding out where someone lives, we drive around in our NSXs with plates exposed to thousands of people, so the subset of those looking at ads with bad intent would be tiny by comparison. Anyone at anytime can follow me home and steal the car, or take photos & videos and post them on-line for even more thousands to see.

I used to be a reserve police officer when I was in California. Years ago, they changed the laws to make it more difficult for "regular citizens" to get registration info through the DMV, for exactly the security reasons you explained, so I'm not sure that's a good reason to cover plates in ads (at least in CA).

I think some people cover their plates because they "heard something bad could happen" if they didn't...whether that's justifed is why I posted the question.

As for finding out where someone lives, we drive around in our NSXs with plates exposed to thousands of people, so the subset of those looking at ads with bad intent would be tiny by comparison. Anyone at anytime can follow me home and steal the car, or take photos & videos and post them on-line for even more thousands to see.

Well, its the law of averages (so to speak) at work here... the chances of you driving your NSX (or whatever other car) around town and just so happen to come across a car thief that wants your particular car, is FAR slimmer than someone that specifically wants vehicle X, and goes to vehicle X forums and see's where vehicle X's can potentially be in his area, and even better - know what mods are on it ahead of time because the owner told everyone. :eek:

Just my thoughts ;)

There is a really simple solution to making your plates not visible at track events -- grab a screwdriver and just remove them. I do it when I race for safety anyway. If that thing rattles loose and falls off the car while on the track imagine how upset the driver behind me might be. :eek:

Another simple solution could also be some form of lead poisoning...........

XTTrapCombo.jpg

Well, its the law of averages (so to speak) at work here... the chances of you driving your NSX (or whatever other car) around town and just so happen to come across a car thief that wants your particular car, is FAR slimmer than someone that specifically wants vehicle X, and goes to vehicle X forums and see's where vehicle X's can potentially be in his area, and even better - know what mods are on it ahead of time because the owner told everyone. :eek:

Just my thoughts ;)

EXACTLY!!

EDIT: Just needed to add more for those still not convinced. It is just sooooooo easy and convenient for a thief looking for an NSX to come to Prime........find a car with the mods he is looking for..........find a pic of the plate and now all he needs to do is monitor the right forum to see your not attending a certain meet or event cause you will be "out of town that weekend" and thats it.......car stolen.

there is as the problem of the false plates, if a guy with the same car as you, it will place false plates with your numbers on its car with an aim of having fun and of making excces speed, all the infringments
be sent to you and you will have much problem with justice, that is rather often done in Europe :mad:

Here in the United States when you get a traffic ticket, the cops take down the VIN number to make sure the plates match the vehicle. I'm surprised they don't do the same in Europe!

I don't care about the theft thing, it's the false identity deal. If some evil person wanted to hit their car with a hammer and then say it was a blue NSX with plate soandso that hit them and drove off. Or worse yet making a fake plate for their blue NSX and using it in a bank robbery.

The thing with the hammer probably wouldn't stand a chance as the burden of proof is on the complainant. There would have to be evidence that the incident in fact took place.

As far as the bank robbing deal . . . I've never met an NSX owner yet in need of robbing a bank. ;)

Here in the United States when you get a traffic ticket, the cops take down the VIN number to make sure the plates match the vehicle. I'm surprised they don't do the same in Europe!

In Belgium and Europe, the police force is based on N° of plate for the infringements for excess speed ( radar pics), the infringements are noted by far and stopped not the cars, it is organized receive the fine directly has to pay by the postal service at home! , if a guy stole your N° of plate… it is you who to pay its infringements!
eh yes… it is not beautiful all that! :mad:

and here I thought this thread was going to be about people rolling around with their car dealership's name all over their car via license plate frames. That was the first thing I changed on my TL, and when I picked up the Pathfinder I had them remove them before I drove it off the lot :biggrin:

If I had a plate number I could find out where you live (assuming you listed your home address on the registration) and probably where you work in a matter of a few minutes. Then if I "wanted" your car I would know where to find it and then steal it.

Also, some people who track their cars don't want photos on the track for insurance/warranty concerns.Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.....

This part I get, but as far as using the plate number for address etc...every day your NSX is on the road hundreds of people could easily jot down the plate number for any purpose. But.....to each their own!

This part I get, but as far as using the plate number for address etc...every day your NSX is on the road hundreds of people could easily jot down the plate number for any purpose. But.....to each their own!

Please refer to post #6

As far as the bank robbing deal . . . I've never met an NSX owner yet in need of robbing a bank. ;)[/QUOTE]

Have you been to a gas pump lately:mad: ???

ROFL . . . see post #17. It's well over four bucks for 91 test octane in California, and Florida is nearly three bucks. CRAZY! Somebody's kid is going to Harvard . . . and it ain't mine! :eek:

You wanna gripe about "nearly $3" in Florida??? :p

I'm up here in Bellingham, WA (state)... 92 octane (best we can get) is $4.37!!!!!!

:mad:

Back