• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is the Porsche Cayman better then the NSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
NetViper said:
NSX-R vs GT3? No contest. The GT3 is much faster. 400HP, NA, way more TQ and similar weight.
You'd better re-check your numbers. The GT3 has 380 hp, not 400, and the NSX-R has significantly more horsepower than the regular NSX. The NSX-R also has a weight advantage of several hundred pounds compared with the GT3. The NSX/NSX-R also consistently outperforms other cars with a similar power-to-weight ratio. The GT3 generally did 0-60 around 4.5 seconds in magazine tests, which is about the same as the NSX-R.

nsxtasy said:
You'd better re-check your numbers. The GT3 has 380 hp, not 400, and the NSX-R has significantly more horsepower than the regular NSX. The NSX-R also has a weight advantage of several hundred pounds compared with the GT3.

You are right about the HP. Look at that 1/4 mile times of the NSX-R vs GT3. The GT3 has a much higher MPH. Also, they raced a GT3 vs NSX-R on Best Motoring and it was no contest. While the NSX-R could keep up in the turns and late breaking, when the road because straight the GT3 easily pulled away. From what I have read, the NSX-R makes around 315HP, but that has never been proven to my knowledge.

NetViper said:
Also, they raced a GT3 vs NSX-R and it was no contest. While the NSX-R could keep up in the turns and late breaking, when the road because straight the GT3 easily pulled away.
Who is "they"? Can you please provide a verifiable reference (magazine date, etc)? Because I find that very difficult to believe...

nsxtasy said:
Who is "they"? Can you please provide a verifiable reference (magazine date, etc)? Because that sounds like something made up...

BMI Fujifast! All Star Battle at Japn's fastest Track.

The NSX-R also overheats at the end of the race.

In my experience in the GT3 vs NSX at Roebling Road, the GT3 hit 150MPH in the straight. My 93 NSX could only hit 130, DONYMO with the NSX-R suspension and CTSC only hit 140.

MCM said:
Cerb5 is bitter after loosing his ass with an NSX.
Will parade the "P" car till he gets tired of it & it gets old.
Will probably be one of the folks at the car show/track 10 yrs from now talking about the fact that he once owned one of these ground breaking cars.
The NSX is a drivers car. Nothing more, nothing less.
The world will catch on, but it will take time.
LOL LOL
Fire away!
I can take it.....................

I think "bitter" is a little extreme. If the NSX had given me more enjoyment during my 12 months of ownership, I probably would not have cared that the car lost almost $20k within a year. However, since it was lacking in various performance aspects, the financial loss exacerbated my disappointment in the car.

The NSX is a nice car, but it will be very unlikely the NSX will be a standout in my quest for the Holy Grail of sports cars. Maybe the GT2 and possibly an F430 or CGT if I am lucky, will receive honorable mention 10 years from now.

BTW, I don't think a Kevlar vest is necessary.

nsxtasy said:
You'd better re-check your numbers. The GT3 has 380 hp, not 400, and the NSX-R has significantly more horsepower than the regular NSX. The NSX-R also has a weight advantage of several hundred pounds compared with the GT3. The NSX/NSX-R also consistently outperforms other cars with a similar power-to-weight ratio. The GT3 generally did 0-60 around 4.5 seconds in magazine tests, which is about the same as the NSX-R.

The GT3MKII's real world HP numbers are over 400HP, the 380HP is a marketing number that has been thrown around many times.

BTW: GT3's can do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, it has been tested/reported by several mags with good GT3's without notchy tranny's.

As much as I like the balance of the NSX (or even a NSX-R) a GT3 is way faster stock, Kip Olson can do a 1:47 at Infineon with his Comptech *goodies* NSX with slicks, last Friday a GT3 owner from SoCal was in the 1:45's with R-compound tires and the GT3RS Rear Wing on his otherwise stock GT3.

NetViper said:
In my experience in the GT3 vs NSX at Roebling Road, the GT3 hit 150MPH in the straight. My 93 NSX could only hit 130, DONYMO with the NSX-R suspension and CTSC only hit 140.
Not an NSX-R, and different drivers.

2slow2speed said:
BTW: GT3's can do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, it has been tested/reported by several mags with good GT3's without notchy tranny's.

As much as I like the balance of the NSX (or even a NSX-R) a GT3 is way faster stock
Okay, maybe. ;)

2slow2speed said:
Kip Olson can do a 1:47 at Infineon with his Comptech *goodies* NSX with slicks, last Friday a GT3 owner from SoCal was in the 1:45's with R-compound tires and the GT3RS Rear Wing on his otherwise stock GT3.
Also not an NSX-R, and different drivers (although I understand that Kip is very quick).

Hugh said:
You're joking right? The Boxster interior is junk. It feels like junk, it looks like junk and it breaks like the junk that it is.

I spent the last 2 months car shopping with a friend. We looked at Jags, Vettes, Boxters and Vipers. He was a stubborn nut to break but in the end he is the very happy new owner of TucAzNSX's 96 Red/Black car. In fact if you have an NSXPO brochure, it's the car pictured.

Anyway, every single Boxster we looked at had noticeable wear in the interior. The paint of the door handles was chipping away, many had broken console hinges and worn seats. No Boxster we looked at was more than 4 years old. My 93 NSX and Ted's 96 have flawless interiors that rival as new condition.

They are bargain basement, poor man Porsche wanna be posermobiles. The car is beyond ugly and handles like it looks. In fact you can pretty much count on one of these pitiful little German crapmobiles slamming into the wall at any HPDE that the owner is stupid enough to sign up for.

It is very apparent that you were not looking at the 2005 Boxster. As stated previously, the 2005 Boxster was completely redesigned. All previous Boxsters 1997-2004 had the older style interior design.

So you think the Boxster handles "beyond ugly"? Interesting choice of words. I would dare to say the Boxster handles more predictably at the limit than the NSX. Please elaborate why the Boxster is so suseptible to slamming into walls at the track? I anxiously await your analysis of the Boxster's dangerous tendencies.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
(I'd also like to know how anyone can quote lap times for a car that isn't in production yet...)

I would guess they are preproduction test mules.

MCM said:
"Holy Grail of sports cars"
That would be an F40, till then, its the NSX.
:biggrin:

Great looking car....... :rolleyes:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=9221&page_number=1

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101963

No offence, but it looks like something that came out of my Azz.

The F40 is an excellent candidate!

In regards to the Cayman, I never stated it was a great looking car. Personally the roof line is a little bulbous, but I have not seen it in the flesh.

A turd?

I love Porsche, if Cayman were $50k~$55k it be one amazing car, but at $60k~$70k, I rather have the new Z06, the new king of under $100k.

nsxsupra said:
I love Porsche, if Cayman were $50k~$55k it be one amazing car, but at $60k~$70k, I rather have the new Z06, the new king of under $100k.

The new Z06 will be an amazing performance bargain for only $66k

Let me know when they build one that is almost all hand made from alum., handles like a go-cart, goes 170, is trouble free for 200,000 miles and can be had used for under $40k...............
The world will catch on, but it will take time. :smile:

It seems pretty obvious that persons that can affoed a new super car whenever they want and toss away the "old" one they are tired of, will like lots of differnt New cars that have great Lap times and 0-60 specs, however the longstanding quality of the NSX will hold up long after Corvettes and P-cars are wornout,cracked,faded,rattling and in need of major mechanical work.

As far as the handling of the 911 based car? I used to work on a 930 a few years back and that was the the most frightning car I have ever driven as It would feel like you were INVINCIBLE and the car was on rails but then if you were just a little too agressive the car would become completely sideways and backwards in the blink of an eye,...no thanks......oh and p-cars are no better quality than your average VW jetta, take the 2000 NSX-T it has 5 technical service bulletins and the 2000 911 cerrera? 46! german quality? humm... :rolleyes:

CerberusM5 said:
I would dare to say the Boxster handles more predictably at the limit than the NSX. Please elaborate why the Boxster is so suseptible to slamming into walls at the track? I anxiously await your analysis of the Boxster's dangerous tendencies.

I would dare to agree with you. I predict that when any Boxster reaches it's limit, it will go merrily pirouetting off the road and zero in on the first immoveable object in its path.

As far as the 2 Boxsters that kissed the walls, I can only surmise that it was a combination of the car's poor handling and driver inexperience. The problem is that you have these candy pants Porsche owners who read road test after road test telling them that their car hugs the road like a Formula One racer. they strap themselves in and quickly discover the stark realities of the laws of physics.

It's kinda like those Michelin tire commericials with the babies. They convey a message that Michelin tires are the safest things you can put on your car when in reality the things will kill you if God forbid the road is wet.

The Boxster is nothing more than a silly little girlie car. They are extremely effeminate. In fact that ridiculous center exhaust that they have is really the car's vagina. :biggrin:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the Cayman looks like the bastard child of a Chrysler Crossfire and a Boxster?

Hugh said:
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the Cayman looks like the bastard child of a Chrysler Crossfire and a Boxster?

Yeah, right on!

It reminded me of the Hyundai coupe (former model).

nsxtasy said:
Extremely unlikely. With equal drivers, I'd put my money on the NSX-R.

(I'd also like to know how anyone can quote lap times for a car that isn't in production yet...)
The question was about the GT 3 RS vs. NSX-R., not the mere GT 3. From the "sport auto" tests (nearly always the same driver) the GT 3 RS with street legal sports tires lapped 1.11,8 on Hockenheim short (NSX-R with street legal sports tires 1.14,6, me on slicks 1.14,1) and a whopping 7.47 on the Nordschleife (NSX-R 8.09, me: too much coward to drive this track). Looks bad for your money. And from what I encountered personaly on Hockenheim GP these RS are really fast - about 10 seconds faster than me on race slicks (about 1.50 against 2.00). I doubt that the drivers are so much better than me. The GT 3 cup race versions run under 1.40 there but that's of course no real comparison, just for your entertainment.

The Cayman laptimes were indeed measured with pre production test mules and as I wrote e.g. with Walter Roehrl (you know this video of him climbing Pikes Peak with a monster Audi?).

Last edited:
MCM said:
Cerb5 is bitter after loosing his ass with an NSX.
Will parade the "P" car till he gets tired of it & it gets old.
Will probably be one of the folks at the car show/track 10 yrs from now talking about the fact that he once owned one of these ground breaking cars.
The NSX is a drivers car. Nothing more, nothing less.
The world will catch on, but it will take time.
LOL LOL
Fire away!
I can take it.....................

Cerb5 has a little troll in him. :wink:

Hugh said:

I see it.

Hugh said:
I would dare to agree with you. I predict that when any Boxster reaches it's limit, it will go merrily pirouetting off the road and zero in on the first immoveable object in its path.

As far as the 2 Boxsters that kissed the walls, I can only surmise that it was a combination of the car's poor handling and driver inexperience. The problem is that you have these candy pants Porsche owners who read road test after road test telling them that their car hugs the road like a Formula One racer. they strap themselves in and quickly discover the stark realities of the laws of physics.

The Boxster is nothing more than a silly little girlie car. They are extremely effeminate. In fact that ridiculous center exhaust that they have is really the car's vagina. :biggrin:

You apparently have not spent much time discovering the characteristics of the NSX's handling at and past the limit of adhesion. Once the NSX crosses this point, it can be a handful and is not very easy to bring back in line.

Considering that used NSXs are now easily within financial reach ($20k-$30k) of the general sporty car buyer; I am sure there are plenty of inexperienced drivers who have and will continue to have off road excursions in their NSX.

Also, there are many sports cars out there with center exhausts that I would not call a "silly little girlie car" and that would easily pummel your macho and brimming with masculinity NSX.

MCM said:
Let me know when they build one that is almost all hand made from alum., handles like a go-cart, goes 170, is trouble free for 200,000 miles and can be had used for under $40k...............
The world will catch on, but it will take time. :smile:

I am still thinking. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back