• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is the Porsche Cayman better then the NSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My M3 RULES :biggrin: JK <--- you see????

I test drove a 996 turbo S and all i can say is OMG :biggrin: . There were a couple things that I really didn't like about the porsche, for example how the pedals were all located to the right and how numb the car felt. I honestly feel that the NSX was a much more fun car to drive around that any porsche that I have driven. Although I'm sure the Gt 2's and 3's are a different story, but that's just my opinion. :wink:

IMO I don't see why cerb m5 was called a troll. I can definetly see and agree why shiri would be considered a troll though....

This thread instead of being about the Cayman has become about this CerbM5 guy and how he didn't like the NSX, and then later about his GT2. 2 pages of this! It's pretty much impossible to get back on topic.

Yeah but the important thing here is that every Prime member knows that The NSX is better then any porsche :wink: :tongue:

DutchBlackNsx said:
Sorry, not going to waste bandwidth with you, not going to get info for you (not your servant), also, this is way off topic.

Pbassjo gave you an award allready. Have fun with it.

Wat een randdebielen zijn er toch op het net.......

Here I am asking for proof but you give up halfway. Thanks anyway.

jadkar said:
Wow...that's all I have to say.

I haven't posted on this forum in quite some time. I just had a baby, and between the birth and my other projects I've been pretty much MIA. What I have just witnessed however has blown me away. It seems as though within the past year this site has gone from extremely informative to "my C*@k is bigger then yours!!"

This was a very 2nd grade topic in which I wanted to get some opinions and comments....THAT'S IT!! It started out OK, and then turned into something that brings me back to my Junior High School days.

I respect comments and I don't mind hearing them all, but when people start going back and forth it makes me sick. I mean my wife signs on as JADKAR sometimes and reads what's going on in the NSX world. Last night she came up to me and said, "What the hell is wrong with all you guys on-Line. You sound like a bunch of whining girls......with the attitudes you guys have it's amazing that any of you even became successful enough to own those cars, whatever they are!!" You know she has a point, most of us are probably professionals of some sort, and are actions and words are far from it.

Again, I was merely comparing the lack of general admiration for the NSX to the excitement of a new Porsche that’s very similar in numbers to the NSX. I wanted to know if others have noticed this. Now, I never said the NSX is better then the Cayman. I never said "Porsche is crap", even though I may have said some particular parts are. Porsches are obviously great sports cars and nobody will ever be able to take that away from them. They just bring different things to the table...period!!

I obviously have a slanted view toward the NSX, but I do for ALL Hondas (look at my sig). As far as I’m concerned I strongly believe that back in the early 1990s Honda had one of THE BEST sports cars period. Comparing it to a GT2, 1970 928, or any other car is just plain stupid. Other car manufacturers DIDN'T have a car to compare back in the early 1990s, they had to catch up and they did. I think Hondas BIGGEST mistake was not redesigning it over the years. Porsche has had 4 different 911s since the NSXs inception (964, 993, 996, 997 ) along with several different variations of the same car. Anyone that says "well Honda wasn't making enough money on the NSX to justify a redesign" is an ASS. Porsche was about to go under, they were losing money left and right, yet they STILL developed newer models. Honda F*@#ed up!! With the million Accords & Civics they were selling they should have done something with the NSX. The few Porsche, Ferrari, BWM, & Benz customers that made the switch most likely lost all respect when Honda left the NSX out to dry, and YES Honda left the car out to dry! I have a lot of respect for Honda but THEY were their own demise when it comes to the NSXs success, and IMO they screwed up bad. They have a habit of ditching good designs, the CRX come straight to mind.

Regardless of what other people drive or wish to drive the fact still remains that the NSX over the years has held up extremely well, and nobody could ever argue that. The car still performs strongly, it’s not a record setter anymore, but still for only 290HP it’s damn good! One could also argue that for the price of a high model 911 you could easily bring the NSX up to 755rwhp and give it far better handling / braking then almost all of today’s sports cars. That’s a mute point though; it’s all OPINION, and PREFRENCE. There is no right, wrong, or better car.

In closing, I’m sure if all of us had the means we would have a garage like Jay Leno’s, with a collection of all of the worlds greatest cars. We would have an NSX, GT2, M5, McLarren F1, Z06, etc. all parked next to each other as testaments to man’s ingenuity, and a love for our hobby. However, most of us don’t have that luxury and we have to choose what we like the best, at that particular time in our life. So bashing someone else, or arguing over what car someone chooses to sell just doesn’t make any sense. After all, if we all drove the same car life would be really boring!!

This thread should now be closed

Good post, except for this :

One could also argue that for the price of a high model 911 you could easily bring the NSX up to 755rwhp and give it far better handling / braking then almost all of today’s sports cars.

I think if you mod any car it would be to the same effect.

Um no.

I have seen a few NSX owners trolling on the S2000 forum doing exactly that, so you are certainly wrong there.

So what statements have I made that were untrue? I have see 2 pages worth of incorrect statements from NSX users here in the past 2 days. I don't see you correcting any of those? People like you will never get along with anybody else if you're so biased and car-acist.

Enzo said:
Shiri,

Please add my name to your signature as I totaly aggree with DutchBlackNsx comment.

Nah its ok since he came up with that comment on his own. I posted it on another forum and boy did people get a big laugh out of it :biggrin:

Maybe you people need to get out more and see other Ferraris (308, 348, 355, F40, Testarossa etc etc).

nsxtasy said:
That's funny, because I haven't heard any great praise for the Cayman among my fellow car buddies, not even the Porschephiles. Their take (and mine) is that it doesn't break any new ground, and is simply a marketing ploy to plug a perceived price gap between the Boxster S and the base 911. Not that it's a bad car, just more along the lines of, "We sell X horsepower for Y dollars, and we also sell A horsepower for B dollars, so we really ought to offer something in between, in power and in price".

I think that when the car actually hits the roads, in the hands of owners, it will generate even more buzz... It has the potential to become "The" track car of choice by a lot of P-car enthusiast and "tracksters" alike... With clubs clamping down on convertibles, modifications, and others wanting matched performance while racing, among other things.

The car will be at a price point that people feel is entry level, as far as expensive sports cars go. The power and body configuration present a very admirable package for club racing, SCCA racing, racing in general. I think they have come up with what P-car people have been asking them for throughout Porsche's existence... Give me a 550 with a hard top, A 904 or a 906, I need a mid engine lightweight coupe that I can have fun in...

The Convertibles were all but dead at one time so people stopped producing them, had they not become popular again the Cayman would have been the Boxster coupe available from the beginning. It may be marketing; it has served them very well. They have come from not-selling to selling everything that they produce very well...

A lot of P-car owners look at the car as a re-entry point, for Porsche, into racing with truly factory backed teams. As they have hinted to the return but not really defined how and where, or with what car and configuration... The Cayman has given them the ability to cover all forms of racing, using already existing power plants...

I won't get into the, which car has the better interior, because I feel that the NSX is designed nicely and the quality was built to last, not to be stunning.
It has design cues from other Marques as well as some of Hondas older designs... It works, but it is far from the Greatest...

Porsche chose to make some $$$$'s with its lack of interior quality over the last 7 years, the quality was not there, the design was bleek... The 997 seems to be head and shoulders above the 996 interior wise... Can't tell on the Cayman, because having a Cayenne with "interior upgrades", I know that pictures are very deceiving... It may look "Rich”, the interior, but when you get it you know that someone was truly apt at generating margin...

Stock NSX (02-05) vs. Cayman, Well we have ordered the Cayman...
I couldn't give a crap about the depreciation factors.
People buy what they like.

Now that Honda is hinting at a V10, I will truly wait to see what Super Car will grace the Garage with My NSX and 911s (Old and true) I am hoping for something using the design philosophy of the NSX and the performance of a Porsche of old... I don't really like the feel of the newer cars, they are more GT then sport.

The NSX is a joy to drive and own... It is not however any cheaper to own, any cheaper to maintain, or much more reliable than any other P-car that I have owned (Sans the 928)...

I know that this is a NSX forum and people are loyal to that car... but you guys should really start looking at the cars for what they are, instead of comparing everything to the NSX, in itself that expresses some disappointment, some sense of envy... I know that many of you could, but those that can't, would you replace your NSX with ANY other car?

I would, but it would have to be a monster, and I don't have that kind of $$$$$$$s yet.

Hell I like the Cayman, the 02+ NSX, The 350Z, the 300C, the Gallardo, and a whole lot more... If I had Carguy's or Prova4re's $$$s, I would have them all.

It's really getting old hearing that the (Slice of Bread) is tops of all cars new and old... It would make sense that it is to some of those that regularly frequent this sight, but it's not to everyone else... FACT!!!!

The car is old; Honda has come up with a successor, which should point that out. It's time to wear the crown if you own a NSX... You own a great car that still keeps up with pretty much everything still being produced... It's just not better than everything being produced or that is going to be produced...

While I am putting on my Flame retardant suit... I bought the NSX based purely on the way it looked... I drove one on 91 (automatic) and decided that it would one day be in my Garage... Just like the 911, based purely on looks...

I don't compare them to other cars out there; I leave that to the owners of the other cars... I simply enjoy the conversation of that person when they choose to compare... The only car I condemn is the Vette... Simply because the 63-67s are terribly expensive and the new one bares no resemblance to the past...

I love my NSX and I love my 911, I would kill (expressing passion) for an Enzo or Mc..F1, but that wouldn't stop me from wanting a new Mustang GT with the S<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">helby</st1:City> package or a SL65...

So right now I count my blessings and relish in what I have... My family and a few cars... Even though my NSX is the SHIT!!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
NetViper said:
Len,

That was freaking hard to read. :biggrin:

I don't know what happened to the layout... I cut it from word and pasted it only after formatting it here first... Weird, I am sure it is something I missed in the process... I'll see if I can fix it...

len3.8 said:
A lot of P-car owners look at the car as a re-entry point, for Porsche, into racing with truly factory backed teams. As they have hinted to the return but not really defined how and where, or with what car and configuration...
They already are - the Gruppe M team in the FIA GT championship is a factory backed team (as the Freisinger team in former seasons) and they have already presented a LM prototype for future Le Mans and ALMS - it's called RS spyder - pic is here .

And of course you may be right that the Cayman could be a preferred club racer - at least here in Germany where Porsches are always in the majority at track events.

BTW: I found a lot of colour html tags in your text - maybe your Word file kept them when you copy/pasted it into the reply field.

NSX-Racer said:
They already are - the Gruppe M team in the FIA GT championship is a factory backed team (as the Freisinger team in former seasons) and they have already presented a LM prototype for future Le Mans and ALMS - it's called RS spyder - pic is here .

And of course you may be right that the Cayman could be a preferred club racer - at least here in Germany where Porsches are always in the majority at track events.

BTW: I found a lot of colour html tags in your text - maybe your Word file kept them when you copy/pasted it into the reply field.

Thanks... The Gruppe M GT3RS is pretty neat looking as well, I own one...
A slot car of course.

I can't wait to see what they do with all of their cars. I would love to see something different at 24HRS of Daytona.

I THINK I know what happened with the text. Word did not like the smilies and used it's own fuzzy logic as a replacement. So when I cut it from word, it took the literal makeup of the smilies...

Attachments

• GT3rs.jpg
    GT3rs.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Wow John you did open up the floor,,and lots of off topic discussion ensued!lol.Your point is well taken about the general specs and performance being similar between a 3.2l nsx and 3.4l cayman.To expand your friends reaction that the cayman is "all that" to why is'nt the nsx "all that" in peoples minds,has gotten you the preceding 4 pages :eek: My take is don't take your friend too literaly,heck the nsx is 15 yrs old and the cayman is new.I would say though that with the cayman at least Porsche thinks there is a market for a car with specs similar to the nsx,of course with more electric geegaws and better brakes!But never better seats!

If NSX owners are going on other sites and bashing other cars that's really too bad and sad because there is no need for that.

I have owned a 3.0 liter Ferrari and know many persons that own/owned porsches, I choose to own and drive an NSX mostly because of its reliability/performance combo.

Some persons (Shiri) choose to stir up s#1t and argue just for some sort of entertainment they get from it.

Porsches are nice, Ferraris are nice too, but Shiri is most definitely a TROLL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back