• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why the 2022 NSX Type-S May Be a Sham

Curious why you think owners of 2019-2021 would take a loss? I presume many of these owners also benefited from rebates and other discounts.

Some of the 2017s were discounted by more than $40k based on what I heard. Also people who purchased used 2017s probably benefited from those earlier discounts. For a while you could easily pick up a low mileage 2017 for under $125k. The newer cars were also discounted but not by as much. The 2019 and newer cars (first there are fewer of them, they tend not be loaded as were the earlier cars). I suspect that if you purchased your 2017 second hand that you have less money into it.

Having said that there is no reason why you would lose more selling your later model NSX to buy a new one. My bad.

Some of the 2017s were discounted by more than $40k based on what I heard. Also people who purchased used 2017s probably benefited from those earlier discounts. For a while you could easily pick up a low mileage 2017 for under $125k. The newer cars were also discounted but not by as much. The 2019 and newer cars (first there are fewer of them, they tend not be loaded as were the earlier cars). I suspect that if you purchased your 2017 second hand that you have less money into it.

Having said that there is no reason why you would lose more selling your later model NSX to buy a new one. My bad.

No worries drmanny3. Given that Type S are priced so attractively, I can totally see some prospective buyers paying more to get the 2022. My 2021 is delayed at PMC due to lack of truck drivers and was seriously thinking about paying more to get 2022 - assuming you can even get one at MSRP (not likely given current demand).

I can also see current prices of 17-21 going down a bit with increase number of used cars in the market. I can't imagine anyone buying a new 2021 without a significant discount.

Last edited:
I respect your personal subjective opinions. :wink:

I assume you own a NSX of some year, obviously pre 2017? I find it interesting that you might consider buying one at the right price. Pray tell what do you consider the right price for the S spec NSX?

Probably true, people who purchase Ferraris are not as concerned about upkeep as might a person purchasing a $35,000 family car. Most people who purchase Ferraris new do not purchase used Ferraris unless it is a special car. That is something I observed over the years-generally people who purchase expensive new cars do not buy used cars. Having said that people who have money are not stupid either. If a car falls apart as you drive it away there is not much to brag about with respect to your skill set.

I personally have never liked the look of the Lambo. Not my cup of tea. I have not heard wonderful things about Lambos. I am sure I do not hear all the relevant information as to their reliability and performance. As for Ferrari I think they look grand. However, I am not into that particular image. Porsches kind of have that "I am special" image that I don't particularly like. McLarens look great but, again I have not heard great things about them.

The NSX is a pragmatic car that is well engineered, holds up really well, and is very balanced. i can drive it relatively fast and not look like a complete ass. It is not the most expensive of sports cars, though it is a league above the more common reasonably priced sports cars like Miata, BMW/Toyota, Fiat, Corvette, Nissan Z, Lotus, and some of the Porsches.

It is almost like Trader Joe’s best customer-an unemployed PhD. Someone who is cost conscious and appreciates things that are special.

In the end it really is personal preference. Everyone who posts can say what they want.

No worries drmanny3. Given that Type S are priced so attractively, I can totally see some prospective buyers paying more to get the 2022. My 2021 is delayed at PMC due to lack of truck drivers and was seriously thinking about paying more to get 2022 - assuming you can even get one at MSRP (not likely given current demand).

I can also see current prices of 17-21 going down a bit with increase number of used cars in the market. I can't imagine anyone buying a new 2021 without a significant discount.

The available number of NSXs is still pretty limited. There is a decent spread between new and used. Now if there is a new 2021 at a dealership I do expect a discount on the car. So for some buyers the $20k difference and the need to get in line might encourage them to buy now, rather then compete for a spot. Remember the early cars are not crap.

The available number of NSXs is still pretty limited. There is a decent spread between new and used. Now if there is a new 2021 at a dealership I do expect a discount on the car. So for some buyers the $20k difference and the need to get in line might encourage them to buy now, rather then compete for a spot. Remember the early cars are not crap.

Absolutely! I prefer the front end of the early cars but Type S rear is definitely more up to date. Also, inside looks better with black console in the middle and by the doors. Had Acura updated the interior with improved infotainment and other safety features, I would have definitely gone with 2022. For now, I'll enjoy extra cash in my pocket and enjoy the car sooner. I've been waiting since November and can't imagine waiting another 6-9 months!

That's your opinion and I respect that.

Not to say the NSX is a bad car and in fact I would consider buying one at the right price, but I doubt that there are many who cross-shop Ferrari and Lambo with the Acura. If one has to consider reliability or cost of maintenance in the purchase decision of an Ferrari probably can't really afford it. People buy them simply because they are Ferrari and Lambo. :wink:

Maybe I’m atypical, but I’ve owned over a dozen Lambos and Ferraris and currently own both — I still think of maintenance and cost of ownership in my purchase decisions. I sincerely considered the 296 before placing my Type S order so there is at least one of us.

Importantly, I don’t say that to boast. I just think the same logic and decision making that creates wealth doesn’t stop just because you’re buying an exotic car.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m atypical, but I’ve owned over a dozen Lambos and Ferraris and currently own both — I still think of maintenance and cost of ownership in my purchase decisions. I sincerely considered the 296 before placing my Type S order so there is at least one of us.

Importantly, I don’t say that to boast. I just think the same logic and decision making that creates wealth doesn’t stop just because you’re buying an exotic car.

You are not the only one - we also own Lambo, Ferrari, and now on our second NC1 Type-S....

It's our opinion that anyone who talks like they don't care about money is a bit silly as there are plenty of exotic car owners trying to nickel dime on small purchase. So that theory goes out out the window, it's just talk as people like to be flamboyant.

The Type-S is a special car. So is an s2000 or a even a Type-R. The price is just relative to what owners want to spend.

With that said, just love what you have, we all have our choices!

Back