• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why would you buy an NSX new?

I usually don't post new topics here, just listen in to others chatting.

I've wondered this for awhile, and was curious if NSX owners who have bought new in the past few years could provide some insight.

Why buy new?

I've owned a couple NSXes, 1991 - 1995, they have all been 2nd or 3rd owner cars. I'm curious why people say "I've always wanted an NSX, and now could finally afford one, so I bought a new one". Why did you make this decision vs. buying a used car for much less?

Not trying to flame anyone who has bought an NSX new in the past few years, I'm just interested.

-- Chris

I'm not sure... Maybe it has something to do with sole ownership? I guess it might be a state of mind, knowing that there isn't anybody else that could have "abused" your car. Having the ability to break in your engine, knowing the entire history of the car and what it's been through, where you scraped the front lip, etc. To others, the NSX might be just another really cool car, but I have never been this attached to a car that I've owned before.

This is one of those questions that I'm sure will get a wide variety of answers.

I, for one, could have gone either way. In fact, I had been waiting on a coworker to grow tired of his '97 NSX-T before I sprung for a new 2000 model. That wasn't happening (he STILL has his '97 and will probably keep it when he upgrades...he keeps mentioning that a 360 is in his future).

Certainly there are great deals to be made on used NSXs, especially because the car hasn't held its value as much as it should.

The only certainty I had in my purchasing decision came from my desire to have a NSX-T. That easily narrowed my choices to '97 and more recent NSXs since I wanted the best Targa I could buy, regardless of the price.

Perhaps I went new because the price difference between a used '97 and a new 2000 NSX-T wasn't very large. Not large enough to justify the potential headaches I could receive if I picked up a mistreated NSX. I know that people like to have fun in these cars, track them, take spirited drives. I also know that many of the NSX owners I've met have kept their NSXs in amazing condition.

Perhaps I went new because this car had been my dream for over ten years...and because I had never bought a new car before this one. It just felt right to do so. Pride of ownership was definitely amplified because I bought new. And you can't imagine how happy I was to tell people that my first new car was my dream car.

Perhaps 2000 just seemed like a great year to buy a new car.

There was a brief moment in time when I was uncertain that the current generation NSX would no longer be available past the year 2000. If that had been true (and if the next-gen NSX fails), I entertained the notion that a 2000 NSX might be viewed as the classic, most refined NSX ever made.
wink.gif

Perhaps there is no explanation why I went new. All I know is that I have not once experienced buyers remorse.

Why do some people lease rather than buy? Why do some people finance rather than pay cash up front? Why do some people not pay off their credit cards immediately?

If money was not an object, don't you think people would rather buy new?

That said, I'm not wealthy. I did debate this issue seriously for months. I think it mostly came down to what made me most comfortable...

And to say I'm attached to my NSX would be an understatement.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Certainly there are great deals to be made on used NSXs, especially because the car hasn't held its value as much as it should.

I disagree. I'm driving a ten-year-old car that's worth more than half of what I paid for it new. I think that's terrific!
smile.gif

Why buy new?

The NSX is the only used car I bought and it also has the most problems I ever encountered in a car (minor problems). So I probably won't buy an used car again.

Some people want their car to be perfect condition and an used car usually does not guarantee this. A friend of my just spent $50K modifying a 1991 NSX and just find out the car's color doesn't match and he sure don't want another used car either. He thought he bought the perfect used car and pay premium price for it, WRONG. So he doesn't ever want an used car either.

There are a few people on the list just want their car perfect and they are willing to change cars often too.

I agree with NSXtasy..... My car stickered at 60k and I have been offered 39,200 for it... it's a 91. Ten years old, 24k miles and still 66% of it's original sticker.... (I am, however, selectively forgetting to mention the dollar amount on the oiginal bill of sale.... let's just say it isn't 5 figures. ) New is nice but a used NSX is likely one of the best buys in automotive history!!!

------------------
nsx_02.jpg

Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Although the NSX is a great car to buy used (if the prior user(s) maintained it well) because of its inherent reliability, if you want something unusual, like a late model coupe, then there aren't really a lot of options other than buying new...

--twc

99 NSX-Z

Well, If I had the money I would have to buy new. Since my dream NSX is the late model coupe, there isn't much of an option as the prior post mentioned. However, I do not have that kind of money so I got a '91.

Really though. If you had the money who woudn't buy new or at least close to new?

Funny you should ask that question in light that I just bought a new NSX last Sunday. I have to agree with JohnDoh about knowing the complete history of the car and how it was driven as the most important reasons of buying new over used. I also agree with Akira3D about the difference in cost of a late model used one over a new one isn't really all that much to justify buying a used one. At Niello Acura they have used NSXs that cost near what I paid for my new one, without the tax and license.
I took really good care of all the cars I have owned before and I never abused them. When buying a sports car I feel these cars will be driven extremely hard, which is how they are intended to be driven. They tend to be more abused than say a family sedan would be, so I think it will be safer to buy a used four door than a used sports car. That said, the NSX is an extremely well built and reliable car than can take the abuse over the years. You can't say that for say Ferraris, which seem they need to go to the shop about half the time you own the thing.
I bought mine new simply because I would know how the car was cared for from scratch. Knowing it never was in an accident or stolen. But if I were to buy a used sports car, the NSX would be my only choice.

------------------
'00NSX-T,silverstone/blk, #252

I bought a used one mainly because by the time I decided to change my '91 for a -T, Acura had discontinued the color I wanted. I do not understand why we can't order the same colors, accessories and interior trim options as in Japan. Acura says the NSX is supposed to compete with Porsche and Ferrari. Have they ever seen how much you can customize a Porsche or Ferrari from the factory??

Back