• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will a Comptech Supercharger de-value my car?

My personally long time friend is a Acura "A" Tech. His Dealership is willing to install a Comptech supercharger for Free! Of-course I have to pay for the kit. But my question is, will installing this kit de-value my car? Any comments? Thanks Gents!

My opinion is that this is an upgrade that is generally desirable, enough so that it merits a premium in market value. Not dollar for dollar, but it will increase market value rather than reducing it.

Like any serious mod, it will reduce the number of prospective buyers, but those who are knowledgeable about the NSX will consider the reputation of the mod (it's generally pretty highly regarded) and its benefits (more power).

In estimating market value of a used NSX, I consider one with a Comptech supercharger to be worth several thousand dollars (perhaps $3-4K) more than the same car without one.

Since you seem to be such good friends with the Acura Tech, he might be willing to remove it if you ever decide to sell the car. This way you could sell your supercharger separately and probably do better.

Either way I agree with NSXTASY it certainly won't devalue you car, but I don't think you wouldn't get as much as selling is separately.

Before I bought my car, I was looking for one that already had the Comptech installed and couldn't find one, so there is definately a market for NSX's with Superchargers.

[This message has been edited by Carguy! (edited 15 February 2002).]

My personal feelings regarding any modification is that we do them to enjoy our cars. Choose the wheels, exhaust, and trunk mats that you want so that you can enjoy them, not the ones that will bring the best resale dollar.
After all, if we were only looking for the best resale value, we wouldn't put any mileage on the cars, like many F-cars I see offered for sale.

Just my opinion. When I was searching for an NSX, one of my criteria was to find an unmodified car. I would not consider a car with bodykit, springs, or a SC. Even though I may eventually add a SC, I want to add it, not buy a car with it already on because I have no idea how the previous owner used the car or took care of it, and i would suspect it was used hard.
YMMV

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

That's exactly what what my train of thought was mikec. My fear is that the car is just beat on if it has a SC. It means the person liked to drive it hard. And to be honest who wants a car that was beat on and driven extra hard.

Although if the car is in pristine condition you would have to question just how hard it was used. You all have made some very interesting and valid points. I guess there is a market for all types of NSX'S. The question is the percentage in each group. Or how easy would it be to sell if it had a SC instead of not having one? Yes I can take the unit out and sell it seperatly here in the claasified, a fantastic idea! It seems you have a better chance parting out parts. And yes if the car is taken care of, it may be more desirable to those who know what they want like NXSTACY said.

I do not plan on selling my car, but I always look ahead just in case

My friend keeps asking me if I want to do it. I need to get the timing belt done do to time, not miles. My car has only 36K on it, but you know the time limits on belt life. So maybe I will let him do it all at once. Should I tell my wife??? NOT! lol :>)

I am not a speed demon anymore, I left that at the track when I retired from road racing motorcycles in 95. I just love raw power off the start! It's the torque thats got me hooked!

Thanks gents for all your responces and input, you are all always helpful.

I don't think there's any question that a CTSC or BB system would increase the value of the car. Take ANYBODY out who is NSX shopping who has never been in a supercharged NSX - there's no comparison. IMO the NSX with a SC is the car that it always should have been.

The fun factor for the NSX is only enhanced with a supercharger - there's no question. Hence, the increase in value.

Will people be willing to pay for it? If they know the SC, Intake, Headers, and Exhaust cost you $18K, and you sell it for half of that (just for example), you might be very surprised.

I'd pay for it.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

The market seems to bear out that "well known and popular" mods such as the CTSC, headers, exhaust, brake kits, etc. tend to bring around half of their parts (not labor) cost at resale time assuming the car is in really good shape overall.

Some buyers only want stock, but there are enough that want these mods that they will pay a little premium for them if the car matches everything else they are looking for.

Body kits, nitrous, chips, wheels, dash kits, custom interiors and most stereos usually bring little or nothing extra at resale and in some cases make it harder to sell the car in proportion to how radical they look and how hard they would be to reverse.

Originally posted by ck:
What do you guys think of the BBSC and value of the car? Since it is not as well known and has yet to prove itself, would the BBSC devalue the car?

I think at this point the BBSC somewhat limits the resale market for a car to those who are familiar with and trust Mark Basch. Once it has been widely installed for a few years and has a good track record it will probably be like the Comptech SC at resale time, where you limit the market to people who want the SC but within that market you can get a bit of a premium for it.

Until then, if you had trouble selling a BBSC car, it might be worth uninstalling the SC and selling it separately. I believe this looks like a relatively simple operation.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 15 February 2002).]

Originally posted by David Allen:
If they know the SC, Intake, Headers, and Exhaust cost you $18K, and you sell it for half of that (just for example), you might be very surprised.

I'd pay for it.

If you are lucky enough to find a potential buyer who is looking for exactly those mods, you might be able to get him to pay more than 50 percent. If you don't, then you might not be able to even get 50 percent. That's why projecting a market value on mods is so difficult; it depends on your ability to find a specific buyer who will place more value on your car because of those particular mods.

I think that, in general, market value for generally-accepted mods goes up by about 30 to 40 percent of the cost of the mods (parts and labor). I think that estimate is approximately equivalent to Lud's estimate of 50 percent of the cost of parts only.

Also, these estimates generally assume that the price paid was reasonable. A Comptech SC generally runs $9-10K including installation, and you can generally do I/H/E for roughly $4-5K. So if you spend $18K on these mods, it's quite possible that you overpaid somehow, and you can't use that number in figuring market value.

Back