• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window Glass Slider/Guide Rattling

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of replacing/fixing a few internal parts of my doors, and preparing to rebuild my window regulators with the Hugo kit.

I noticed my right-hand door glass has quite a lot of play inboard/outboard and some front/back as well. I took a video of this and posted it here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEtSePBVKs). I'm assuming this is undesirable?

This window seems to stick in the middle of its travel, which I'm hoping to fix by rebuilding the regulator, cleaning, and re-greasing the window guide tracks, but I feel like this extra play might be contributing to its poor function.

My left-hand door glass moves much less than this, and from the video it looks like the extra play might be coming from the attachment screws on the door glass guide sliders (72214-SL0-003).

Is this something that can be fixed by replacing the guide sliders with new ones, or maybe by tightening the Phillips head screw on the slider itself? The only thing I'd need to do to take out the window completely is remove the two stopper plates since I have the front/back sashes off already.

I have a feeling that since my window adjustment seems fine now (which means the right window is pushed away from the car by the weatherstrip when closed), eliminating this play might force me to readjust the window to tilt the top away from the car, since tightening the slider screws (if that is the issue) might pull the window closer inboard. Really trying to avoid the adjustment process if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

When I removed my regulators for rebuild I had the glass taped in the up position so I could not detect any movement in the glass. However, during the reinstallation process I did have to untape the glass to position it correctly for attachment to the regulator. I didn't have to move the glass much; but, my very fuzzy recollection is that I did not have any where near that amount of in-out movement that your glass has. Of course, my outside window scrapers were in place and my inside glass stabilizers were also in place which would really reduce the amount of in-out movement that I could detect.

In your video looking down the front track, the actual glide does not appear to be moving in-out much / at all in the track indicating that grossly excessive guide wear is the primary problem. The movement all appears to be in the attachment of the glide to the glass. However, since I never pulled my glass out of the guide tracks or fiddled with the guides and glides I cannot be definitive that the movement you see is abnormal. However, if it were my glass I would probably be inclined to go the final step and pull the glass to confirm whether the glide attachment is OK or is failing. If I pulled it out I would probably plan to have new guides on hand just because the window tracks on the NSX are such a known issue.

That is my 2 cents worth. Sorry I can't be more definitive about whether the movement is actually a problem.

Right, my passenger window doesn't wiggle nearly as much. I find there's quite a bit of movement even with the door fully assembled.

I will pull the glass fully out and inspect the guides, as I agree that the ones on this side are likely worn. I'm not too familiar with the construction of the guides, but I've been told on the FB group that they can break completely away from the screw. It looks like that is most likely the issue.

I will update once I've done so. Unfortunately a new set of guides (3x of 72214-SL0-003 and 1x of 72215-SL0-003) is another $130, it never ends...and at least another week for shipping.

The glides are much cheaper from Amayama.com, about $16 US each.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/72214sl0003[/FONT]

Shipping cost is reasonable and shipping time isn't bad. I just ordered a set of coolant hoses and a water pump from them and delivery was around 1 week.

Thanks. I have a big transmission part order coming from them at the moment so I was looking into their guide price/shipping.

I took the windows out tonight and cleaned up the guides. It looks like one guide on each window wasn't screwed in fully, so I tightened them down. No matter how tight you get the screw, it looks like they are designed to pivot a bit around the screw head. The ones that weren't screwed in fully were wiggling slightly more within the female screw threads.

My lower-front guide on my left window basically came apart in my hands, so that one obviously needs replacing. It looked like garbage and was very loose to begin with, though that wasn't on the window I was expecting. After cleaning the other 7 guides, they all looked to be functioning okay. Perhaps a factory-fresh guide would feel "tighter" on the pivot since they haven't worn down as much, but it doesn't appear to me like I need to replace the other ones. Maybe I'll get two of the 72215-SL0-003 since the one on the right window feels a little bit looser than the others.

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJOtk-GUBkc

I think the majority of the right window sticking was in the regulator itself, since it seemed to slow down even when bench testing. It's missing two of the regulator guide bushings and one was half apart and jammed against the guide rail. Fortunately the Hugo kit comes with the new Teflon ones.

Last edited:
Remember to get the Larry B recommended Honda Urea grease for lubricating the tracks and regulator parts.

On the regulator assembly where it attaches to the glass the attachment connects to a white plastic bobbin that slides back and forth on a spindle driven by the regulator. This allows for side to side movement in the drive to accommodate the curvature in the glass and the mounting tracks. You may already be aware that you have to lubricate the spindle / bobbin assiduously with urea grease. If so, great. When I did my Hugo kit installation I cleaned and lubed everything; but, was unaware of the bobbin issue. I put everything back together and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then my regulator developed a loud bang as I was raising the window glass. If the bobbin does not slide freely it will stick on the spindle as the window rises and as lateral force on the bobbin increases it will suddenly release with a loud bang as the bobbin hits the end of the spindle. There is a Honda TSB in the Wiki describing the problem and the need to lubricate the spindle - which I found after the fact. I was rather PO about having to pull the door apart to get at the spindle to lubricate it.

Don't do what I did!

Yep, I have the magic grease and I had actually bookmarked a few past threads on the regulator rebuild where you brought up the need to grease the bobbin, so thank you :biggrin:.

I'm glad I pulled the glass all the way out now that I can replace a broken guide and also get much more access for cleaning the rails without taking them out of the car. I've marked every bolt I removed, so I'm crossing my fingers that either no or very minor adjustment of the glass will be needed.

Yep, I have the magic grease and I had actually bookmarked a few past threads on the regulator rebuild where you brought up the need to grease the bobbin, so thank you :biggrin:.

I'm glad I pulled the glass all the way out now that I can replace a broken guide and also get much more access for cleaning the rails without taking them out of the car. I've marked every bolt I removed, so I'm crossing my fingers that either no or very minor adjustment of the glass will be needed.

I found all of the black rubber guides sitting in the bottom of my door lol.

I have the Teflon regulator slider guide thingies to replace missing ones, one of the originals was wedged up against the slider so replacing it should be nice. I was planning on vacuuming the inside of the door before reassembly, but I should try fishing around in there first to see if a previous owner was keeping their life savings hidden inside.

I have the Teflon regulator slider guide thingies to replace missing ones, one of the originals was wedged up against the slider so replacing it should be nice. I was planning on vacuuming the inside of the door before reassembly, but I should try fishing around in there first to see if a previous owner was keeping their life savings hidden inside.

I bought the yellow nylon SOS ones. The black ones I found were pretty mangled.

Back