• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window regulaor reinstalation tip

A couple of years ago I installed the Hugo kit on my window regulators. At the time, I cleaned everything up; but, forgot to grease the white plastic spindle that the bracket attached to the glass rides on. Sure enough, a few days after I get everything back together, the driver's side develops the loud 'pop' going up and down. I knew what the problem was; but, at the time I didn't want to deal with it.

This spring after removing the car from the winter storage compound, the window 'pop' had become quite loud so I figured it was time to address the problem. I did the regulator removal, clean and grease and went to reinstall the regulator. If you follow the Hugo instructions, you tape the window in the up position and remove the regulator in the up position and presumably reinstall the regulator with everything in the up position. Both Hugo and the service manual kind of fall into the 'reinstallation is the reverse of removal' camp. You can probably re attach the regulator to the bottom of the glass in the up position; but, its going to involve a lot of colorful language. I started to do this and after about 3 minutes had the ' flash back' to doing the reinstall when I first installed the Hugo kit.

The trick is to lower the regulator mechanism (obviously requires reconnection of the switch and regulator motor to allow operation) until the bracket that attaches to the glass is about 2 " below the top of the large square opening in the door - enough so that the rear mounting hole in the bracket is accessible. Remove the tape from the glass and carefully lower the glass until the mounting holes line up with the rear hole in the bracket. Tape glass back in this position and screw the rear bolt through the bracket into the mounting holes on the glass. Do this finger tight to allow for adjustment. In front of the larger square opening in the door (about mid way down the opening), you will find a round hole that is about 2" in diameter. Remove the tape from the glass again and carefully lower the regulator and glass until the front mounting hole in the attachment bracket is visible in the center of the hole. I am suspicious that Honda put the hole there expressly for this purpose even though the service manual is silent on it. With a 3" extension on your socket you should be easily able to thread the front bolt into its mounting hole. To stop the bolt from dropping out of your socket and falling down into the door cavity, grab a tiny piece of the goo that Honda uses to affix the plastic door liner and stick this on the top of the bolt. This will keep the bolt in the socket until it is screwed in. When you have the bracket positioned correctly, you can then tighten both bolts. I found that having the 4 bolts that retain the regulator track to the door loose enough to allow a little movement made alignment of everything easier. Doing it this way takes 5 minutes tops, faster if you have somebody to hold and position the glass while you check the bracket position in the door cavity.

If this has been posted before, I apologize for taking up forum space. When I was researching the Hugo kit installation I didn't find any mentioned of the hassle associated with reinstalling the regulator in the fully up position.

If you are doing any work in the door cavity, I suggest you plan for replacement of the plastic door liner. My liner had been butchered pretty badly by a previous owner and I had patched it up; but, this time when I went to remove the liner the plastic had hardened to the point that it was cracking badly and coming off the door in pieces. My car is a 2000 so I expect most cars will have liners that are in equally poor condition after removal. I had some CGSB 6mil poly vapour barrier left over from house renovations which I used to fabricate a new liner including all the openings with their little flaps and I transplanted the pocket for the window motor control from the old liner to my new liner. From experience, I know that the 6 mil CGSB will be more durable than the OEM liner; however, getting the old liner to lay flat (particularly when it has stretched and has large tears in it) so that you can get a good trace for the replacement is very difficult. Plus you are dealing with an old liner that will have that wonderful sealant that never seems to harden and sticks to everything that it even briefly touches which makes positioning the old liner for the trace a joy. Given the major hassle of cutting and fabricating a new liner you may wish to have a new liner on hand; however, they are stupid expensive (about $70 per door from the discounters) for what they are.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my windows tracks and regulator. It turns out one of my Hugo kit ball bearing pulley wheels disintegrated; the plastic wheel broke off from the metal inner. I'm in the process of sourcing an all metal one.

As for regreasing the window tracks, should I try a dry lube like graphite or PTFE?

I'm in the process of cleaning up my windows tracks and regulator. It turns out one of my Hugo kit ball bearing pulley wheels disintegrated; the plastic wheel broke off from the metal inner. I'm in the process of sourcing an all metal one.

As for regreasing the window tracks, should I try a dry lube like graphite or PTFE?

Lots of different greases/lubes over the years have been tried and the best performing has been by far the OEM Honda Urea Grease. Most spray greases tend to drip down and pool at the bottom of the door rather than staying put on the rails. White lithium type greases tend to dry out rather quickly. Powdered graphite type lubricants tend also to fall out of the tracks and/or not provide enough lubricity. Using the Urea grease properly, you'll get 5-10 years of smooth windows depending on climate and usage before you have to re-grease. The trick to getting long life out of your window grease job is to clean all of the old grease out of the tracks. This is virtually impossible without removing the tracks from the doors, which is a big job. Use a powerful solvent (acetone, brake cleaner, etc.) to cut the old grease and clean the tracks until they are gleaming. Any contamination can cause the plastic sliders to bind. Apply a generous amount of Urea grease to all sliding parts (but don't goop it on) where indicated in the service manual (Page 20-12). I've heard it helps to also lightly grease the window cables and the plastic guides over which they slide.

I have my doors fully dismantled, and the tracks are glistening clean. Over the decades, there was quite a bit of sand/contaminants that got mixed in the with grease and scored the tracks and guides. The only advantage to the dry lube is it doesn't gunk up, and I can relube it with ease annually.

I have my doors fully dismantled, and the tracks are glistening clean. Over the decades, there was quite a bit of sand/contaminants that got mixed in the with grease and scored the tracks and guides. The only advantage to the dry lube is it doesn't gunk up, and I can relube it with ease annually.

I agree with Honcho on the use of the Honda Urea grease. I personally don't view an annual relube of the window tracks and the regulator as an option. All the plastic stuff you have to remove and reinstall to access the window mechanism just strikes me as an opportunity to break something. Plus, you have the inner liner which is easily damaged if it is original and it is attached with that Honda stick to everything in sight mastic which is a true delight to work with.

When I recently redid my installation, I just cleaned and lubed the regulator track with urea grease. I didn't touch the window tracks (there was no way I am going through the removal and reinstallation of the tracks and the potential glass adjustment process). The portions of the tracks that I could see seemed relatively clean so I wasn't inclined to mess with them and my window goes up very smoothly. As part of the whole process, before I attached the regulator I raised and lowered the window by hand when positioning it for the regulator install. I was able to raise and lower the glass in its tracks with very little effort. If the glass is difficult to move in the tracks then perhaps you need to clean and lubricate or check for wear.

Don't (like I did) forget to lube the spindle on the regulator mechanism.

After cleaning and greasing everything (regulator, tracks, cables), the speed of my windows, when the engine is off, is just as slow as before. Any other suggestions?

Back