• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window tracks...are mine not lubed enough?

I rebuilt my slow driver's window with the Hugo kit and lubed the regulator gears and cables with lithium grease. Upon reinstallation, the window is still slow. I noticed that when the window is fully raised and the regulator is removed, it does not come crashing down. It stays in the raised position from friction for a few seconds, slowly creeps down a couple inches, and then falls into the door. This will take about 15 seconds. Does that mean the tracks aren't lubed enough? It takes quite a bit of effort to mimic what the regulator is doing, raising the unsupported window myself.

I smeared some grease onto the tracks with my finger, however I was only able to cover a small section since I didn't have them pulled out of the door. I figured using the window would distribute the grease along the entire track. I didn't want to pull them out and clean the old grease because I don't want to mess with re-aligning them.

Last edited:
I smeared some grease onto the tracks with my finger, however I was only able to cover a small section since I didn't have them pulled out of the door. I figured using the window would distribute the grease along the entire track. I didn't want to pull them out and clean the old grease because I don't want to mess with re-aligning them.

I belive the problem was you did not clean the old stuff out also did you use the recommended lithium grease ?

They probably need to be completely cleaned and then relubed with a thin coat of the urea grease. This will require a fair amount of work and time, with GREAT results. It is really hard to clean them while the window is still installed. The grease gets dried out and sticky and has to be cleaned out to make a difference.
Brad

I cleaned and greased my window tracks this winter, and it made a significant difference. However, they are still not quite as fast as with the Hugo kit installed. Two months after I greased my tracks, I helped someone install the Hugo kits. So we were able to do a side-by-side comparison.

In any case, I cleaned my NSX's tracks with the window and regulator installed. I took a long screwdriver wrapped in a shop towel, dipped it in odorless paint thinner and ran that up and down the inside of the tracks numerous times. I got out a lot of dried gummy grease. So, that proves its possible. :smile: With the regulator removed, it was somewhat easier to clean the tracks in the other NSX.

Now, the bad part. I have fairly large hands. Wrap your wrists and forearms in an old sweatshirt that you tape in place. Otherwise keep plenty of BandAids and disinfectant handy to swab the cuts & scrapes you get working your arms and hands through the door panel openings and bending them at angles nature never intended. :eek:

I raised the windows up and down so I could get at both the upper and lower extremes of the tracks, both during cleaning and greasing. I took a bunch of window cleaner to get the grease off the windows when I was done.:redface:

Back