• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield film

Ever since getting my car back in 2019, I have often wondered why it sometimes felt like visibility through the windshield was not always super clear. I would clean the inside but that did not improve the situation. The other day my radar suction cup popped off as the car had sat in the sun for a while and the interior had gotten hot. As I placed the cup back on the window I first wiped the area with a cloth that was not really clean. I noticed what looked like a scratch. I rubbed it with my fingers and sure enough it was a scratch in what appeared to be a film.

Once I realized the whole windshield was covered I watched a number of YouTube videos on removing the film. So I left the car outside the garage and in the sun. Within an hour it was very warm inside. I worked an edge of the film and proceeded to remove it. I was able to remove the film and adhesive in one piece without separation. Now I had a clear view through the windshield. I am sure this film cost a lot to apply, as there was no visible indication that the film was present.

Bottom line for me is I prefer to have the best view through the window. Anyone else out there remove film from their windshield?

I would be more inclined to get a protection film on the exterior to guard against impacts.

I agree given how expensive the windshield is to replace. I suspect that they wanted a bit of tint to darken the glass making the car look more dramatic. The tint level was really low. I believe the same used on the front side windows.

Attachments

• GrandPrix2.jpg
    GrandPrix2.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 113
I had an exoshield on my hellcat window..it worked well but I was super unlucky to get a rock that hit the very outer edge that still cracked the glass...anyway the only issue with that film is a prism effect on sunny days if you wear polarized glasses...on overcast days you would not know it was on.

I was cleaning up the rear of the car and decided to try the chemical guy’s honey wax on the carbon fiber engine cover. Never put anything on that area other then detail spray. Turned out great. I had read or heard not to use any kind of polish on the carbon fiber as it will change the look permanently. This wax brought out the look and gave it a shine that is still with the matt finish but no longer blochey, if that makes since.

Also noted that the rear hatch glass also has the same tinted film as did the windshield. I plan on removing that as well. Got to be careful as there are a lot of defroster conductor lines on the glass. I have to believe the previous owner spent a lot on tinting the windows. I would have preferred he spent the money on paint protection film instead.

I have ClearPlex on my windshield. (exterior) to protect from rocks. It is less cost than glass insurance over a 2 year period.
You just have to be careful, and not run your wipers dry. Make sure the windshield is good and wet first.

Ever since getting my car back in 2019, I have often wondered why it sometimes felt like visibility through the windshield was not always super clear. I would clean the inside but that did not improve the situation. The other day my radar suction cup popped off as the car had sat in the sun for a while and the interior had gotten hot. As I placed the cup back on the window I first wiped the area with a cloth that was not really clean. I noticed what looked like a scratch. I rubbed it with my fingers and sure enough it was a scratch in what appeared to be a film.

Once I realized the whole windshield was covered I watched a number of YouTube videos on removing the film. So I left the car outside the garage and in the sun. Within an hour it was very warm inside. I worked an edge of the film and proceeded to remove it. I was able to remove the film and adhesive in one piece without separation. Now I had a clear view through the windshield. I am sure this film cost a lot to apply, as there was no visible indication that the film was present.

Bottom line for me is I prefer to have the best view through the window. Anyone else out there remove film from their windshield?

About a month ago my window tint guy pointed out the film/tint on the inside of my windshield. I had no idea! Is that factory or aftermarket? I'm assuming the latter.

I also have Exoshield on the exterior. So far its been ok, but I can tell a small rock or two has possibly penetrated it.

I also have a couple of hits that tore into the 3M film. I hope they did not penetrate into the paint.

Back