• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wipe-ouuuuuuuttttttt

uuhhh, anyone else do the spin thing??

i was on a long lonely highway on a long slow curve(not banked) and pushed fast, approximately 85mph and im suddenly spinning around. what an 'oh s***'.

to say im suddenly very cautious with my nsx is an understatement.

there seemed to be almost no warning, no fishiness in the rear end--just an immediate spin.

to my surprise i just spun around while maintaining my current line. luckily the road was wide and i never went off the road.

whheeelll. now its official, im an idiot..

i dunno if i'd be so harsh to call yourself an idiot...

did you check the alignment on your nsx, what kind of tires are you using, what is your suspension setup, what tire pressures are you running, etc.?

there may be something else involved then just being an idiot. :)

-andie

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:
did you check the alignment on your nsx, what kind of tires are you using, what is your suspension setup, what tire pressures are you running,

...how much tread is left?

Of course, it's also possible that you were going too fast for that curve.

Another thought - spins are often caused by lifting off the throttle suddenly (when you first sense the car becoming unbalanced), which can be as unsettling (to the car) as slamming on the brakes.

Originally posted by huckster:
uuhhh, anyone else do the spin thing??

i was on a long lonely highway on a long slow curve(not banked) and pushed fast, approximately 85mph and im suddenly spinning around. what an 'oh s***'.

Oh, so that was you who almost hit me....I was wondering! Hey, when's the Hooter's get together we were talking about doing? Spring has sprung!
RACERnsX

Yes…*hanging head low*

I was left my house for work on an unusually cold morning. The light turned green when I approached two cars sitting at the light. The cars proceeded straight as I made a left turn onto the three-lane avenue. When turning left, "turtles" (or street-braille) guide you through the intersection and into the middle lane. I usually put the car dead center over the "turtles" on the right side. I usually follow this half way trough the intersection then make a "late apex" to put the car in the right most lane. (Basically using the whole intersection) I was giving it too much gas and when my rear left tire went over one of the turtles I remember hearing a really weird sound it was like a "VEERRRRRRRTTTT" and the rear stepped out. I was doing 35-40 and didn't slam on the brakes hoping the car would come all the way around. However it just stayed perpendicular to the street. (As soon as the rear steps out…how DO you get it back? More gas cut it to the right? Tap the brakes while turning to the right? Or keep the wheel straight and hope for the best?) I know that if you look where you want to go your hands and feet will follow…. but no amount of looking out my passenger window was going to straighten me out.

I also *feel* that I've learned the limit of the car. My daily car is a 96 Nissan 240 SX and it's REALLY easy to know where the limit is. However, with the NSX I didn't know where it was (and I still may not know)…maybe someone can correct me if there's another or better way….I have found that if I draw an imaginary line down the center of the car that extends three feet in front and three feet off the back I can "see" the car rotate and adjust my throttle and steering accordingly. So far this has kept me out of trouble.

I agree with Ken. It sure sounds like worn tires or lifting off the power. It's easy to drive the NSX to the edge and being a mid-engine the spin snap occurs very rapidly.

Maybe also you let off of the gas too abruptly? from lots of power on..... to nothing.. causing the spin?

not countersteering fast enough or at all?

Im not a racer.. but my being really careful with my throttle has kept me out of a few spins (even when my instincts were to lift and brake)

Check your tire wear. I was traveling in a very light rain with stock yokos and 92 alignment spec. The tires were just short of the wear bars, but definately within limits.
The car seemed slightly off from its usual steady trac but so I let up and was traveling at about 60 mph.
Suddenly, without warning, the rear spun. I was on a two-lane highway and went around for 3 conmplete revolutions. I had time to calculate the body damage and consider my deductable while I went along for the ride.

The really scary part is this occured with NO driver input. No gas let-up, no steering input, no nothing...just straight and level flight.

Fortunately, I ended up in the breakdown lane, perfectly aligned with traffic, 3 feet from the end of a guardrail...very, very lucky.

I avoid any driving on this car if the rears are worn. It is not worth it.

well, i was pushing it pretty good around the corner and my line going in may not have been the best. the corner was fairly uniform but slightly tighter at the two-thirds point. i thought she was good to go and rrrriipppp i took the trip.

i didnt let off the throttle until the ass end was long gone. there really wasnt even time for any steering correction just the tightest automotive pirouette youve ever seen.

i wound up in the "formerly" oncoming lane heading the right direction for that lane.

i think i spun twice...

from looking at the skid marks the rear tires only burnt for 10-12 feet.
considering my speed, what do you think?

Something slippery on the road?

I also spun my car before on the street and found that the backend just slid right out without much warning. A friend of mine keeps telling me that I let off the throttle even though he wasn't there. I know it was throttle induced oversteer because I was trying to see how fast I could go on this on/off-ramp clover and was slowly accelerating. The good thing was that the car just tracked the corner sideways. Later analysis revealed that my rear tires were severely underinflated and I probably shouldn't have been driving so fast in the rain.

If your tires check out ok I would check the road,for; oil, debri(marbles),roadkill ect.Anything that reduces grip.Plus it sounds like you got caught in the shrinking road syndrome or the decreasing radius turn going a wee bit too fast.And you and the car are ok we hope!

thanks guys--docjohn we are both just fine. i really didnt go anywhere but around and around and maintained a somewhat straight line, crossing over into the oncoming lane but without even coming close to leaving the road.

all in all, i was impressed by how the nsx really didnt go beserk. if you could intentionally do that on a straight stretch youd just spin on down the road.

now i really cant wait to do some racetrack events. who wants to be my trainer???

Hey Mr. Andretti, don't freak, I gotta extra helmet and i'll call ya when mine gets into town between this Tue & Sun., just thank God your alive, it sounds like you may have been pushing the front end so minimally that you didn't notice and it may have hooked up again and did a snap oversteer on ya. I wanta see the road first. If you track the car I will go with, and you can put the #88 on the door, that way it won't matter if you get upside down, they will still know what # you are.

hey tom, that makes sense, especially since the road had the ever so slight descending angle to it....

yeah, lets do it. call when she arrives. hey, i stopped in at hooters last night. the car show was really huge(independence)

and congrats on the purchase.

Back