• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wiring '02 Headlamp/HID Conversion

Well...I originally took my car into SUPER VIP for the installation of the HID Kit. Worked ok for a day, then lights flickered and D2S bulbs were fried. Apparently they hooked it up to the harness emittiting power for the old headlight motor. Had a date that evening; so I said screw it..and wired the HID kit to the high beams. I've look at the wiring diagram and it makes no sense unless the old headlamps had a built-in relay for hi/lows.

Well, know of a shop in so cali that has wired an 02 headlamp conversion properly? Any DIY info ?

izzy

speedyizzy said:
Well...I originally took my car into SUPER VIP for the installation of the HID Kit. Worked ok for a day, then lights flickered and D2S bulbs were fried. Apparently they hooked it up to the harness emittiting power for the old headlight motor. Had a date that evening; so I said screw it..and wired the HID kit to the high beams. I've look at the wiring diagram and it makes no sense unless the old headlamps had a built-in relay for hi/lows
The power to the highs & lows comes from the same connection electrically - they come from the headlight relay which is enabled by the headlight switch regardless of which way the high/low switch is set. The - side for the lows is permanently hard-wired to ground, so low beam comes on with the switch on the stalk. The - side of the high beams is enabled by a relay when the low/high switch is set to high - note that the low beams remain on when the high beams are selected. The power to the + side of the high & low beams is also connected to the input of the motor controller, which tells the pop-up to open.
If the connections to the motor itself were used it is conceivable that it might almost work - for a while - but the motor voltage reverses when the light goes down as opposed to opens - this would apply reverse power to the ballast/igniter,but Iwould suspect a) they would be reverse power protected & b) if not they would be the parts damged, not the bulbs.

In the cct below I've drawn the current paths - red is power to the high & low beams; blue is the ground for the low beams; purple is the ground for the high beam (though the switch controlled dimmer relay); green is the ground for the light power relay (through the stalk switch) & also for the other dimer relay circuit va the dimmer switch.

So I thinkyour mod works just fine - connecting the power side to either the high or low is identical - the ground is what is switching

Attachments

• lights.JPG
    lights.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 352
Thanks a mil man!

Makes sense to me...that is what i originally suspected..i just thought it would be a bit unsafe to wire both hi/low lamps to one single power wire..that and the tech said he knew what he was doing.....

Would i need a distributor that would split power output in 2..or can I simply tap the power wire with both hi/lows?

Thanks..

Just wire them the same way as original - use the original power (+) side that originally went to the lamps (from the headlight relay); hard-wire the ground for the low-beam and use the same original wire from the dimmer relay for the high beam -ve side.
The best & easiest plan is just use the OEM wires as originally going directly to the lamps to power the ballasts (just ensuring that you get + & - correct) and everything will work out fine.

I just tapped in to the OEM connector that would have plugged into the 9006 bulb it works fine.

HID actually use less power than Halogen , well except for the HID startup. If it blows your fuse at HID ignition. Throw in an extra 5amp fuse than original.

Back