• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wont start

Last night I was driving home and noticed that my turn signals stopped working, I turned the car off and it wouldnt start after that. It makes no attempt to turn over no starter noise nothing so I had a buddy push start me and drove home fine but still no turn signals, reverse lights, clock guages (lights on the gauges work) and the windows wont go up. Any one have any ideas where to start?

Battery terminal?
Last night I was driving home and noticed that my turn signals stopped working, I turned the car off and it wouldnt start after that. It makes no attempt to turn over no starter noise nothing so I had a buddy push start me and drove home fine but still no turn signals, reverse lights, clock guages (lights on the gauges work) and the windows wont go up. Any one have any ideas where to start?

Sounds like the battery is no longer holding a charge. I would have the battery load tested, and check your alternator belt.

I suspect if you jump it, it will also start, run as long as it keeps running, since the alternator is supplying the car with voltage. Once you stop it, the battery is basically dead.

Is this what is happening?

Regards,
LarryB

right but that doesnt mean you can crank the car....

(RON check your PM and ur VM!) :confused:

Check the battery cables first. It sounds like the classic problem of the negative band terminal being stretched out and making a poor-to-nil contact with the negative battery post. After you check and are satisfied that the battery cables are tight, in good condition, and making good contact at both ends, I would then follow LarryB's advice above.

Last edited:
same thing has happened again, this time I have replaced the bat, put in a new ground strap just to be safe and checked the main relay which appears to be fine (by looking at it anyway) The car has interior lights, radio power etc but no turn signals, power windows or guages and when I turn the key nothing happens and the bat light stays on.

there might be 2 separate problems.

1) no windows and no turn signals.... check your ignition switch?
do you have a huge collection of nick nacks that is attached to your key while its in the ignition?

2) the bat light should not be on unless you have low charge in the system. If your battery, ground strap is new, i would get a battery tester to verify that the batt is 100%. If its low, i would check for a drain on the system that you are unaware of.

Does the battery light come on or flicker when your driving?

Last edited:
I only have the actual key in the ignition no keychains etc, I had the bat load tested and it was good, tried two other bats to be safe and tried cranking it with a jump box. Bat light never came on when driving

I would test the starter circuit before testing the starter.

test that the starter is getting a 12 volt.

unplug the 12 volt start solenoid wire, while someone is turning the key to start, check to see that you are getting 12volt on that circuit.

if you don't have 12volt, its a wiring problem on the start solenoid circuit problem.

if both those tests are good, jump your starter manually by putting a 12 volt to the starter solenoid with the car on, this should get the starter to turn over.

if it does not turn over, its a starter problem, if it does, you can rule out the starter and starter circuit.

if you know how to do it, you can pull off the front dash and test the contacts on the ignition switch to make sure it is working.

if you cant figure it out, take it to your local nsx mechanic, we can only do so much over the internet.

keep us posted with your progress

I didn't want to start a separate thread so I figred to add a line here since I have a similar problem.

I was gone about 2 weeks on vacation. The car sat happily in the garage. I come back and the car will not start. In my case however the car does click on, all the indicator lights work. It I hear the clicking of the car when I turn the key but nothing from the engine.

I clicked on the headlights just to check and they didn't budge but the parking lights lit up. (kinda weak though) So I am guessing my battery my need a jump.

I am recharging my jump starter and will try to see if I can get the car to fire up after a few hours.

Any other thoughts? :confused:

Last edited:
Attempted to jump. No luck. I turn and hold the key and just get the fast repeating click click click click sound. No ignition. :frown:

Battery is fairly new 2 years tops. And yes I do have an aftermarket alarm, which I have not used in years.

Where do I go from here? :confused:

Attempted to jump. No luck. I turn and hold the key and just get the fast repeating click click click click sound. No ignition. :frown:

Battery is fairly new 2 years tops. And yes I do have an aftermarket alarm, which I have not used in years.

Where do I go from here? :confused:

sounds like the battery.

you should let the jump wires sit on your battery for 5 minutes before cranking. if you battery is 100 dead i'll need to wait.

I'll try the jumper tomorrw and leave it connected for 5 mins before turning it over to see how it goes. I was going to try today but I got tied up doing family and computer netowrking stuff.

Remove the battery and replace it with a KNOWN GOOD battery for test purposes. Or you can take your current battery to a parts store and have it charged and load tested.

If you try to jump your car with another battery the dead battery will just suck the amperage out of the good battery unless you let it set and charge for a long time.

It takes me about 5 minutes to remove my battery. 10mm deep socket for the spare tire mount and the battery hold downs then a 10MM boxed end wrench for the battery terminals.

Remember the battery hold down nuts only need to be as tight as you can turn the deep socket with your fingers.

Brad

Update-
ended up taking the car to the shop last Thursday, got a call today that after allot of diagnostic it was the main fuse panel. diagnostic/parts/labor was $500 to repair old one or $800 to replace with a new part.I have a new one coming from California and should be up and rolling Monday or Tuesday depending on shipping.

Looks like plans for some new swaybars are on the backburner for now:redface:

HAHA! Ditto. My battery was totally dead. So sent the car to Autowave today. The battery should still be covered under the warranty as I just got it (battery) last summer. So it's sitting happily with fellow NSX's over there. Probably telling gossip to each other about their owners! :eek::tongue::biggrin:

HAHA! Ditto. My battery was totally dead. So sent the car to Autowave today. The battery should still be covered under the warranty as I just got it (battery) last summer. So it's sitting happily with fellow NSX's over there. Probably telling gossip to each other about their owners! :eek::tongue::biggrin:

You took the car to autowave to replace a battery? I'm sure that was expensive..... :eek: I did not know a dead battery would be covered under warranty, let alone be honored at a non-dealer shop... :confused::confused:

You took the car to autowave to replace a battery? I'm sure that was expensive..... :eek: I did not know a dead battery would be covered under warranty, let alone be honored at a non-dealer shop... :confused::confused:

True, but better safe than sorry (or stuck in the middle of nowhere). Having them check around to see what might be causing a drain (if any) juuuust in case. Sitting two and a half weeks seems pretty fast for a battery to go poof. (or is that a normal time frame? :confused:) Plus if the battery is defective, going through the battery manufacturer to get it replaced as it was purchased only last July. :smile:

Last edited:
True, but better safe than sorry (or stuck in the middle of nowhere). Having them check around to see what might be causing a drain (if any) juuuust in case. Sitting two and a half weeks seems pretty fast for a battery to go poof. (or is that a normal time frame? :confused:) Plus if the battery is defective, going through the battery manufacturer to get it replaced as it was purchased only last July. :smile:

Yea thats why I have AAA :) They can either give u a jump to get u to the nearest autozone, or (I think?) get u a new battery... or worst case, tow you to the nearest shop....

Back