• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would arco 87 octane gas mess up your o2 sensor?

I lent out my Nsx to my kid sister over the weekend. She didn't realized that it takes 91 octane. So the check light engine turn on.

I went to the mechanics yesterday and he said its my O2 sensors. I need to replace 2 of them. At $80 each plus $100 for labor.

My question is, does this have to do with the cheap arco gas she used or is it just a coincidence?

Also $260 is that a fair price?

I'm sorta mad at myself for not telling her that it takes 91 octane. My fault

Last edited:
Yes...get the codes independently read. Any Advance Auto (and probably Auto Zone as well) will read the code at no charge.

I don't see how lower octane gas would damage the O2 sensors. But they could well be the issue causing the CEL. If so, its probably a coincidence. Lower octane gas will cause engine knock but that shouldn't hurt the O2 sensors.

What year is the car? If it's OBD2 then it may be useful to read the codes with a reader. But regardless, you can pull the codes yourself by shorting the blue connector in the passenger footwell with a paperclip and then turning the ignition on. Look at the flashing CEL. Count flashes. Look up in service manual. Or play dumb and post here and someone will do it for you.

There is no direct correlation to running 'regular unleaded' vs. 'premium unleaded' and receiving a CEL. Pull the codes and go from there. O2's don't 'fail' because of lower octaine gas. They simply monitor and work with the ECU to pull timing and eliminate ping if inadequate octane exists. Coincidence and only coincidence.

Just had it replaced. I didn't know the Nsx has 4 O2 sensors... Thank goodness only 2 went out. As for the code. I didn't bother to asked. It's stressful seeing a check light engine on. I just wanted to fix it and be over with.

The mechanic told me that it has nothing to do with the type of gas. It was just a coincidence. Now I sorta feel bad yelling at my sister. (Maybe I should refund her half the bill��)

Just had it replaced. I didn't know the Nsx has 4 O2 sensors... Thank goodness only 2 went out. As for the code. I didn't bother to asked. It's stressful seeing a check light engine on. I just wanted to fix it and be over with.

The mechanic told me that it has nothing to do with the type of gas. It was just a coincidence. Now I sorta feel bad yelling at my sister. (Maybe I should refund her half the bill��)

You probably need to refund the full amount to you sister if she paid for the entire repair bill. The manual does state lower octane gas is okay but Premium is recommended. If there is Ping and Detonation due to lower octane gas, the knock sensors will detect it and retard ignition timing as what was already stated above, so no damage would occur, only a slight reduction in performance for that time with the lower octane gas.

Most cars will run fine on 87 without ill effects, but I wouldn't be cheap and put 87 because it will run okay (I will sometime put 89, since I live at sea level). Unless you live in Denver (mile high) or in Palm Desert/Death Valley (high temp) I wouldn't dwell on having strictly 91.

Back