• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you do it yourself?

I didn't know if I should put this here, or in the do it yourself section, since this is more a question of "would you" as opposed to "how to".

Gruppe M supercharger install... would you do it yourself, or have a NSX "mechanic" do it for you?

Im pretty mechanically sound, understand the concepts of engines, how they work, how compression works, lubricants, sealers etc etc...

However, Im hesitant to install my Gruppe M kit myself for 2 reasons.

1) Screwing it up (the obvious one).

2) My physical body strength... I'll be the first to admit, Im not exactly the strongest guy in the world... and fear that I'll get to the "don't turn back" stage and realize there's a nut or bolt I can't get loose off the car and end up having a half torn apart car in my garage and there's not much I can do about it
smile.gif

Would you do it yourself?

---

Im in Northern Cali, Bay Area. If anyone feels up for the weekend endevour of doing the install with me, I might be a little more inclined to do it, knowing another individual might be there to help me with the job. (If you own a shop or have a vast selection of tools to choose from, thats a big plus too!)

[email protected]

Thanks for the advice guys....

-B

You'll need impact tools to take off the crankshaft pulley.

Part of buying my 1992 was removing a GruppeM charger. There was nothing technically difficult, however, if you're not patient, it's probably not a good job to do. Have the shop manual handy.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
You'll need impact tools to take off the crankshaft pulley.

You MAY need BIG impact tools (3/4” impact wrench) and big air volume to take that crankshaft pulley bolt off. Or ¾” drive sockets and breaker bar with 5’ of pipe and a special technique to fix the flywheel.

DanO

Originally posted by DanO:
You MAY need BIG impact tools (3/4” impact wrench) and big air volume to take that crankshaft pulley bolt off. Or ¾” drive sockets and breaker bar with 5’ of pipe and a special technique to fix the flywheel.

DanO

Well, I installed my own SC once, and it was not all that difficult. As everyone here says, the crank pulley will be your un doing. Have someone with BIG tools do that for you, or else you can remove the flywheel cover and jam a screwdriver in the fly, which is actually what the GMSC instructions call for. I've read those too and they are terrible instructions because the translation problem was, well- a problem.

IF you do- it is VERY important that you do it in the sequence outlined- it is the only sequence for most of the parts, IOW they can't be installed at all, in the wrong order. ESPECIALLY, don't forget to mount the new injectors before you install the sc. Have a metric tape measure handy- the fasteners are identified by length and diameter and this measurement is critical with at least 2/3 of them.
It is NOT very hard, trust me.
Call if you get in a bind.
Mark Basch

Back