• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WTF: 150 SoCal cops surround and bust car meet

They cant really say, "hey these guys aren't street racing and I sympathize with them so I'm not going to do this" otherwise they can forget a career in law enforcement.

how about saying, "it's not illegal, so i can't give them a ticket" :confused:

can they even give you a no front license plate ticket if your car is in a private parking lot, parked?

and why were they allowed to search the cars?

can they even give you a no front license plate ticket if your car is in a private parking lot, parked?
Yes, they can just like they can give you a ticket for running a stop sign in a private parking lot like those at grocery stores.

and why were they allowed to search the cars?

Probably b/c they asked for permission to search and the driver agreed. If anyone was searched illegally, then they may have a cause for dismissal.
---------------------------------------
Also, I agree w/ 02#154 on this one. $500K to pay for this is a misuse of funds that could have been put to better use. Still, I have no sympathy for those who were breaking the law and got caught.

Someone also mentioned that the police wouldn't do this to "Ferrari owners" and the like. That is true. How may exotic car owners do we know that hang out at known street racing venues late on a Friday or Saturday night w/ expired licenses, stolen motors/tranny, altered VIN, drunk in public, resisting arrest, illegal mods (well, probably some illegal mods) and outstanding felony warrants? Probably not many, if any.

Last edited:
So, what's up with the public outcry?

People were in a location known for street racing and some were found w/ stolen engines/transmissions, altered VINs, drunk in public, resisting arrest, drivers without a license, vehicle code violations, illegal modifications and an outstanding felony warrant.

Sounds like those breaking the law were caught and those who weren't breaking the law had nothing to worry about.

I could not have said it better. As far as I am concerned those are the ones that should be getting some attention andif they are driving around with stolen parts in their cars, impound that car.

I would bet big money that if any of us were there with our legal cars we would not have had a worry. Now if you were driving some slammed Scion TC or Civic with a 10 kagillion watt stereo blasting away (waking neighbors in the next city) and bald tires, expired reg and a broken windshield....well you may be standing there for a while.

What sucks is I live two hours from the bay area. Yet if I'm in the area on a friday or saturday night, I'll try to make a meet. Months back, I managed to make it to a Ranch 99 meet and met about 6 other NSX owners. Now, I believe most of us either had illegal tint, exhaust or no front plate. It would of REALLY pissed me off to have that riverside event occur at the meet I was at, which could of easily happened. Or hell, what if I trailered my car there to show it off and wasn't street legal at the time?

Unless someone is doing something wrong and they're caught for it at the time, there's no reason for that. I'm sick and tired of being pulled over just because "it looked like......... I was doing somthing".

I could not have said it better. As far as I am concerned those are the ones that should be getting some attention andif they are driving around with stolen parts in their cars, impound that car.

I would bet big money that if any of us were there with our legal cars we would not have had a worry. Now if you were driving some slammed Scion TC or Civic with a 10 kagillion watt stereo blasting away (waking neighbors in the next city) and bald tires, expired reg and a broken windshield....well you may be standing there for a while.

I think you've already made it clear that you're in law enforcement.

I have an aftermarket exhaust -- from what the article said, my car would have been considered "modified" and I would have been issued a ticket.

IMO, this is just another example of wasteful spending. I'm glad they caught the people who were arrested, but it hardly seems worth what was spent. Then again, what's the alternative? The police will tell the public that these funds are necessary to keep our streets safe, and people will give in out of fear.

Speaking of cops, I thought this was rather funny:
Oh and I got traffic school tomorrow, my offense being I covered 10 miles in 5 minutes through the mountains.

These 16 Police Comments were taken off actual police car videos around
the country:

16 "You know, stop lights don't come any redder than the one you just went through."

15 "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch after you
wear them a while."

14 "If you take your hands off the car, I'll make your birth certificate a worthless document."

13 "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

12 "Can you run faster than 1200 feet per second? Because that's the speed of the bullet that'll be chasing you."

11 "You don't know how fast you were going? I guess that means I can write anything I want to on the ticket, huh?"

10 "Yes, sir, you can talk to the shift supervisor, but I don't think it will help.
Oh, did I mention that I'm the shift supervisor?"

9 "Warning! You want a warning? O.K, I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket."

8 "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

7 "Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where you go to ride on
rides, eat cotton candy and corn dogs and step in monkey poop."

6 "Yeah, we have a quota. Two more tickets and my wife gets a toaster oven ."

5 "In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC."

4 "How big were those 'two beers' you say you had?"

3 "No sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to, but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we can."

2 "I'm glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail."

AND THE WINNER IS....

1 "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't. Sign here."

That kind of money is spent on BS like this because it generates revenue, sure that time and money could have been spent cathing thiefs, drug dealers, gang members or child molesters but then what? The state would have to PAY to try this person in court and if found guilty PAY to incarcerate them in already over crowded prisons. Hmmm its much easier to plan a big raid on suspected street racers and hit them with a bunch of fees and fines, no trial, no jail, just a free check in the mail.
Fix it tickets are a joke, I remember having a CHP look up from a writing a ticket to another car as I drove by on the opposite side of the road, no joke he RAN to his car, flipped a u turn across four lanes, ran the intersection and pulled me over. My offense, well, modified exhaust that was above the allowable db level, thanks Taitec GTLW. THe funniest thing was as he is handing me my ticket a classic straight piped Camaro rolls by easily twice as loud as my car and he doesnt even look over at it, I wanted to say "hurry he's getting away" but I bit my tongue.

Do what I do and always record on your cellphone when you get pulled over, JUST IN CASE. Then you can make the comment that you wanted to make and still have your @ss covered.

pigs are getting more and more useless, they're a waste of flesh and my tax dollars. N.W.A. said it best, plain and simple, f*** the police.

I think the real point of the article is being missed. The issue is not cost vs. revenue (and how do you spend $500k for 150 cops on a few hours of overtime? that calc is likely a journalists BS).

The issue is that a suspect group was singled out, detained/searched with seemingly very little cause (since no racing tix were issued). Did the cops find a few things? Of course.

To me, this is identical to police spotting a drug dealer in the projects, and using that as an excuse to raid everyones homes there. I'm sure numerous arrests would be made.

I think the real point of the article is being missed. The issue is not cost vs. revenue (and how do you spend $500k for 150 cops on a few hours of overtime? that calc is likely a journalists BS).

The issue is that a suspect group was singled out, detained/searched with seemingly very little cause (since no racing tix were issued). Did the cops find a few things? Of course.

To me, this is identical to police spotting a drug dealer in the projects, and using that as an excuse to raid everyones homes there. I'm sure numerous arrests would be made.

exactly.
i would be pissed, and i wouldn't drop it. what they did was wrong.

it makes me wonder if the cops would have done this to a group of NSX's... I know that all NSX's are not all stock so I'm sure the cop would have something to say about that.

I do think that the $500K could have been used to protect the kids that are being shot every damn week at schools all over Southern California rather than razzing a bunch of kids and their ricers. Of course if they are breaking the law, they deserve their punishment. But this has gone too far. I'm certain that the city counsel has had enough of street racing and this is their solution. Catch them before they do it! Which is wrong on so many levels.

I had a cop tell me my exhaust was too loud (yea right) and threatened to impound the car. Then he quickly changed his tune when I said the parts are not illegal and it passed smog. Cited for no front plate :rolleyes: Waste of my time!

The $500k should have gone towards a local drag strip.
Am familiar with the area.
Nothing like cruzing Magnolia ave. in the 70's.:biggrin:

This country is nothing like it was just 20 years ago. It really is sad. If the current system gets through one more generation without a uprising the system will have achieved the total control and suppression they seem to be after. Forty years from now most of us will be dead and there will be little memory of what this country once was. :frown:

pigs are getting more and more useless, they're a waste of flesh and my tax dollars. N.W.A. said it best, plain and simple, f*** the police.

Good. Call your parents when someone is trying to break into your house.:biggrin: :confused:

...Someone also mentioned that the police wouldn't do this to "Ferrari owners" and the like. That is true. How may exotic car owners do we know that hang out at known street racing venues late on a Friday or Saturday night w/ expired licenses, stolen motors/tranny, altered VIN, drunk in public, resisting arrest, illegal mods (well, probably some illegal mods) and outstanding felony warrants? Probably not many, if any.

The only problem with the logic in your statement is that you are forgetting one HUGE detail. The police did not do this KNOWING that people had expired licenses and stolen and altered parts VIN numbers. They harassed a group that was unlikely to know the law and how to defend themselves, and without pre-existing proof of a crime. People run stolen parts in Ferraris too. So why not raid a Ferrari meeting? Because the Ferrari crowd is most likely educated enough to know this would be trampling on their rights and would not let this abuse of power and funding stand.

I was watching a street racing video from CA where it got busted and what pissed me off more than anything was how a cop wrote a ticket for a ram air intake because it was not certified??? WTF??? Seriously, how do you NOT pass emissions because of an intake?:mad:

I think you've already made it clear that you're in law enforcement.

I have an aftermarket exhaust -- from what the article said, my car would have been considered "modified" and I would have been issued a ticket.

IMO, this is just another example of wasteful spending. I'm glad they caught the people who were arrested, but it hardly seems worth what was spent. Then again, what's the alternative? The police will tell the public that these funds are necessary to keep our streets safe, and people will give in out of fear.

That would not be a valid assumption- I am retired from LE, and presently do defense work-which I absolutely love.

That is just dumb :frown: :mad: . They dont need to screw with people for no reason . If they were on private property then sure , if they were racing sure , if they were revving , sure . But if they are just talking with hoods open they the cops have no reason to do anything.

That would not be a valid assumption- I am retired from LE, and presently do defense work-which I absolutely love.

It wasn't an assumption. You've stated in the past that you were involved with law enforcement. You weren't the only person who spoke favorably about this type of enforcement -- did I assume that the others were also law enforcement people?

Happy to see you're involved in defense work. Are you enjoying your defined benefits pension as well?

if i read the article correctly, this police action took place in a shopping center, yes?

seems likely to me this is a privately-owned shopping center. that said, it's entirely plausible the owners of the shopping center complained via private communication with the authorities that they didn't want this type of activity on their property. the police took action.

is 500k a lot of money to spend on something like this? seems like it to me, but it wasn't my stolen engine / vin-modified car parts that were found during the searches; perhaps i'd think it was money well spent if they found my property after it had been stolen, fenced and installed in someone else's car.

i can't help but notice that missing from the article is any mention of any background or history of these types of "enthusiast" activities and their impact on this local community - perhaps there's more to the story than reported by an online "journal of the politics of driving."

Good. Call your parents when someone is trying to break into your house.:biggrin: :confused:

Funny you say that. My house just got robbed 6 days ago. I called the police, they showed up and their response was “things happen”. I asked for them to take fingerprints and they said they couldn’t because the time and money it would take to find and run fingerprints would not be justified for just a home robbery.

Now after telling me that the time and money to investigate a home robbery is not worth it, I read they spend $500,000 doing a police raid on potential street racers??

SCREW COPS!! I am 31 years old and have NEVER looked back over my life and said, “Wow, I’m sure glad we have cops around”!:mad:

I work all day, 7days a week..got home tired just want a paceful dinner...F-ing cop alway call and ask to support ur local police.I did one time and they call back ever single year..Im not going support SHIT..WTFing way to waste money...

Back