• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Y vs Interwoven Painted

I keep going back and forth between the standard Y vs Interwoven painted wheels. I've seen interwoven (machined) but never seen the Y. I know this is aesthetics and hard to even tell the difference but:

1. Is one stronger or lighter than other? I thought I read people are seeing chips with Y but not as much on Interwoven?
2. Is one have more concavity than the other? Both seems to have about the same but wasn't sure which wheel gives you the illusion that they are either bigger or more wider (deeper)?

Thanks so much!

I keep going back and forth between the standard Y vs Interwoven painted wheels. I've seen interwoven (machined) but never seen the Y. I know this is aesthetics and hard to even tell the difference but:

1. Is one stronger or lighter than other? I thought I read people are seeing chips with Y but not as much on Interwoven?
2. Is one have more concavity than the other? Both seems to have about the same but wasn't sure which wheel gives you the illusion that they are either bigger or more wider (deeper)?

Thanks so much!

sbkim

My car came with the Y spokes and I purchased a set of interwoven for track duty and mounted MPSC2's. The Y's 43 Lbs ft and 55.4 lbs rear with ContiSport6 tires. The interwoven 44.2 lbs ft and 56.9 rear with the Michelin's. The used wheel market the Y spoke are just about impossible to get and I couldn't get a full set so settled for interwoven for my track events. They're both forged wheels so I don't think one has any durability issues over the other. The Y spoke's look better to me and seem born out by availability most likely because they are lighter.
I don't see the concave you mention. I put wheel spacers which helps the look of the car.

Jimmy aka sled driver

Have you played around with the NSX configurator on the Acura website? It actually does a pretty good job of showing multiple angles of how the various choices look on the car.

As Jimmy stated above, the Y-spokes are the lightest and I was told by corporate that they also provide maximum brake cooling airflow. But ultimately I think those differences are miniscule--it comes down to aesthetics (as you pointed out).

you guys are amazing! Thanks so much for the detailed response. My sales guy thinks Interwoven has slightly deeper look which appeals to be me but I like the lighter wheel idea.

Any big difference in tires between Conti and Michelins?

Concavity is similar. The main parts of the spokes are flush with the face and as they get closer to the hub, then they start inward.

IMG_20200703_204447.jpg
PXL_20201014_203335291.jpg

I personally like the interwoven wheels over the Y wheels. However as noted the Y wheels are actually lighter. Both wheels are really good looking in my mind. The interwoven look a bit more complex which I like. They sort of imply motion. You can't go wrong in either choice. I was looking at the stats for KA? American Honda reported 665 Y Wheels versus Exclusive Interwoven Machined at 176 and Exclusive Interwoven Polished at 125. These numbers were good through Sept 2020. Not sure about what KA means.

Just wanted to confirm that you get different tires with Y vs Interwoven? Based on post above, Y comes with the latest Conti but Interwoven with Micheline? It's hard to tell looking at pictures but looks like both come with Conti??..I am looking at 2020.

Funny thing is I probably won't be able to tell any difference between the two tires :)

Last edited:
Not true with respect to tires in the past. My 2017 came with interwoven wheels and the Conti5s

Just wanted to confirm that you get different tires with Y vs Interwoven? Based on post above, Y comes with the latest Conti but Interwoven with Micheline? It's hard to tell looking at pictures but looks like both come with Conti??..I am looking at 2020.

Funny thing is I probably won't be able to tell any difference between the two tires :)

sbkim
No. Both Y and interwoven wheels come with Contisport6. Pirelli Trofeo are optional tires which are designed for circuit use and have a wear rating of 60. I installed MPSC on the wheels I bought from a vendor and gave you the weight bases upon the Michelin tires which is essentially the same as the Conti's but wanted to be specific based upon my direct information.

Jimmy aka sled driver

They all come with the same tires, OEM contis were garabge prior to 2019, now they are just mediocre. Everyone runs PS4S for street or if going more extreme R888r.

They all come with the same tires, OEM contis were garabge prior to 2019, now they are just mediocre. Everyone runs PS4S for street or if going more extreme R888r.

Pha
You can get the Pirelli Trofeo as an factory option. My dealer had some fresh ones in stock and it was much cheaper than Tirerack if one wanted the optimum sticky. Disagree on the ContiSport6's. For a factory fitment I got better 60' than MPSC2's if your drag racing. However on the circuit after some heat the MPSC2's are about 2 seconds a lap faster at Willow Springs then Conti'6's.
I looked into R888r's and the load rating was too low for the front and rears were not the same size availability. I have seen some slammed NC1's on R888's don't know how that's going to go faster.
BTW, thanks for the info on fb as we need more interaction on how great these cars are.

Jimmy aka sled driver

Pha
You can get the Pirelli Trofeo as an factory option. My dealer had some fresh ones in stock and it was much cheaper than Tirerack if one wanted the optimum sticky. Disagree on the ContiSport6's. For a factory fitment I got better 60' than MPSC2's if your drag racing. However on the circuit after some heat the MPSC2's are about 2 seconds a lap faster at Willow Springs then Conti'6's.
I looked into R888r's and the load rating was too low for the front and rears were not the same size availability. I have seen some slammed NC1's on R888's don't know how that's going to go faster.
BTW, thanks for the info on fb as we need more interaction on how great these cars are.

Jimmy aka sled driver

The Pirellis aren't used by too many guys due to their expense. Ditto the the Michelins for track usage. For more of a DD tire consensus is Ps4s. Cannot comment on load rating on the R88Rs, just know they stick like balls and people tend to get crazy good times with them. They are also much more reasonably priced than Pirelli/Michelin if you are going to burn them up on the track.

Just to clarify... did Acura offer two different styles of Interwoven wheels? On the Acura parts catalogue, these are shown as Interwoven wheels (https://www.acurapartshq.com/oem-parts/acura-19-forged-wheels-front-right-08w19t6n200?origin=pla)

5d835cabcc9ad0e3670bce3979558348.png

But I thought that Interwoven wheels look like these:

epp-237g_2_1024x768.jpg

Those wheels were like a $9900 option
i only recall seeing 1 car for sale with them
They were directional, so 4 different part numbered wheels to make a set of 4

I didn't realize that. I personally prefer the design of the Y and Interwoven to those.

The Y-Spoke wheels were only available on North America - In the UK the interwoven was the standard wheel, with the option wheel looking a bit like the upper design shown in TigerNSX’s post. Japan had a centre lock design as an option iirc.

I remember when the JDM wheels came out, looking like the wheels on the GT3 cars. The fake centerl ocks are one of those examples of disco features (style yes, function no) to me.

Thanks docnsx, this is the one I saw on line years ago with that wheel set (the only one I recall seeing with them).

Changing topics a bit, there is an ongoing question regarding how much options bring on resale.

The car mentioned looked at the very high end of the spec range, perhaps over $210K when new.

For a car with similar miles, the one noted below may have stickered for somewhere in the low $170s and is being offered at a similar price

Back