• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yahoo Spam filter change

I have Yahoo mail for home and used to get oh, 20+ spams in my Bulk folder every day. I would always look in there before emptying because occassionally a real message would be in there. Now, 2-3 days ago, all the spam stopped. I've gotten maybe 2 in my Bulk folder and neither of them were spam. So I'm wondering if Yahoo has reset the filters and if some real messages are not even getting to my Bulk folder. Anyone else notice this?

I def. noticed this. My spam is all but gone now.

Re: They're back !!!

The spam is back as strong as ever. :eek: I haven't opened them, but just the names appear as far more legit than before when they appeared to be programmed by a non-english speaking 15 year old on serious drugs.

Hahahaha, what happened? I went from maybe 1 a day, 3 days ago to 20 in 1 hour yesterday. All to my bulk folder, so it's not to bad.

Yes, but some junk mail is now showing up in my Inbox.:frown:

Same experience here. For years I had spam in my Y! account, then for the last several months, hardly any. Last week it crept back up.

We use Yahoogroups for communications among the board of directors of the NSX Club of America. The group receives an average of at least one spam e-mail a day. I don't know if Yahoo uses any spam filters for their Yahoogroups (and I don't know if they use spam filters for their Yahoo e-mail service that they don't apply to their Yahoogroups) but that's how many are getting through. ALL of those are getting screened out by the spam filter that my ISP (Earthlink) uses. (I do not use my ISP's spam blocking service where you have an address book of acceptable e-mail addresses; it's just their standard spam filter.)

HTH

I spent about an hour trying to figure out the cause of the increased SPAM on my Y! account and wanted to share my experience.

1. Go to your contact list in your Y! mail account
2. Look for any contacts that you DIDN'T put there. I found about five or six contacts in there that were not created by me and I didn't recognize. I don't know how they got in there.
3. Delete those contacts, then permanently delete them
4. You should see decreased SPAM after this

My guess is that those accounts in the contact list were part of the SPAM problem. I was tipped off when I started seeing SPAM from MY own email address.

Re: Oddly enough, Yahoo currently ahead

My spam (going to the Bulk folder) just dropped off to nothing in the past day or 2. :confused: That must be one whale of a see-saw battle between Yahoo nerds and the spammer nerds. :tongue:

It has gone down some, but still getting a few. Like this beauty:

granthem gabriell:
Be proud to change your underwear on public.

Anyone else get this tempting ad?

It has gone down some, but still getting a few. Like this beauty:

granthem gabriell:
Be proud to change your underwear on public.

Anyone else get this tempting ad?

Pft! I don't need an email to tell me that.

I just started to receive spam from my own yahoo address too. However, my contact list does not have any unfamiliar entries. Any thoughts?

You're seeing your own email address as the 'from entry' in the header information? Or, you're seeing your address as the 'from name entry.' Very different. My money, its the later which is just clever marketing. Not actually from your email address.

I'm getting email in my junk box from people who are in my address book. I just got an email from my sister. Her address is in my address book, but it went to the junk box.

Re: Oddly enough, Yahoo currently ahead

My spam (going to the Bulk folder) just dropped off to nothing in the past day or 2. :confused: That must be one whale of a see-saw battle between Yahoo nerds and the spammer nerds. :tongue:

Aha. So maybe my finding of suspect email addresses wasn't the cause. Sounds like SPAM has dropped for all of us.

The spam seems to be back with a vengeance.

Back