• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zaino or Zymol

Tell you what.....I'll come over and watch you Zaino my NSX, howzat?......
smile.gif
actually, I saw alot of swirls in that blue to be honest. It might have just been dirty from the trip...

------------------
Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I thought I was abusing my NSX by using Meguiars Hi Tech Yellow Wax #26 until I saw the posts from JChoice and Nsxotic. Although I take good care of my car,I just don't have the time or energy to be doing all these steps these Zaino or Zymol products require. Especially when you drive for a few miles and the car is dirty again. The Meguiars wax is just one step and the car feels very smooth and looks glossy to me. I've got to admit I haven't seen a NSX with the Zaino or Zymol shine but the effort and time it takes to apply them is just not worth it to me. I'd rather spend the time driving the car. Just my two cents. I'm with you JChoice and NSXotic.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

CChung, et al

I've not used Meguiars Hi Tech Yellow #26. I used to use Meguires on my Corvettes years ago and they make a fine product. If you like the results..well that's all that counts.

I just wanted to comment on this "Zaino number of steps" issue, because I think it's misunderstood.

When I clean and polish my car, here's what I do...

1. I wash it. Nothing fancy, I like the Zaino car wash. Warm water, clean cotton towels. Typical stuff.

2. I sparingly put on the Zaino Z-2 over the whole car. Standard cotton applicator. I put it on the whole car and by the time I'm done (about 30 min) I start where I began and I remove the Z-2, rubbing/buffing with the towel as I go.

That's it! I of course, do the interior and the wheels, but as far as the paint/exterior, that's a typical every other week session.

The "steps" when it comes to Zaino are really overstated. The other things I do are....

Once a season, typically the first nice spring day here, I reapply Z-1 before the Z-2.

Use the Z-6 spray for touch-ups or if I go to an event and I'm just hanging around the car, talking with friends and such. The 1 sq ft at a time "rule" doesn't bother me, but I cheat bit too.

I should also add, that since my NSX is kept in the garage, I don't have too much problem with dust. When I do, I use a cotton duster from Griot's (mentioned before).

Speaking of Griot's, they have some nice stuff. Brushes, wipes, pads, etc.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Some stuff is pricey, but many things are reasonably priced and you can't find them anywhere else.

-Jim

PS: As mentioned they also have a carnuaba product as well and it's reasonably priced.

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Here are the steps I use with Zymol:

1. Wash the car. As needed - when it gets dirty.

2. Use HD-Cleanse to remove oxidation. I do this once a year. I also use it as needed on a spot basis on any tar spots and bug spots that don't wash off. Just remember to re-wax those spots, because HD-Cleanse will remove wax.

HD-Cleanse is a fairly thin liquid that is very easy to apply, easy to buff off.

3. Wax the car with one of Zymol's line of high-carnauba waxes. I would like to say I do this once every three months on my daily driver, but it winds up being more like once every six months. Once or twice a year on my NSX (I would do it the same frequency as my daily driver if I drove it more). Some are easier to apply than others; all buff off easily, as long as you apply only a very thin coat (that's all that's needed).

Not a lot of steps, not very often. Easy to do, easy to keep up with.

It's really no different with Meguiar's. Meguiar's makes good products but you don't really get all the benefits by using a "one step" product. For best results, you should really use something (such as their #9 product) occasionally to take off any oxidation and surface contamination that doesn't wash off. Try it once and you'll see the difference.

BladesNSX, last year in Volume 3 Issue 1 of NSX Driver Magazine, there was a reasonably scientific comparison of Waxes and Polishes. 19 automotive waxes and polishes were tested over a 3-month period on the hood of a black NSX that was taped off into 13 sections. While the test did not include Zaino, it did include Zymol. Since Zaino and Zymol are clearly considered the top two in this thread, the results are very interesting. The winner was 3M’s Swirl Mark Remover Polish and 3M Show Car Paste Wax! This combination won because of its long lasting high gloss, deep rich color, good water shedding ability, and high value for the money.

I currently have been using Zymol on my 98 NSX Coupe (Yellow with Black Roof) and while the shine is nice, I’m not overly impressed. The paint on this car is so good that anything will look good.

As Lud said, the “objective” truth is that you can get excellent results from any of the quality 3-step (clean, polish, wax) products. Its not always the most expensive polish/wax combination that performs the best. I personally have, for the past 15 years, used 3M Glaze and Glip Paste Wax on my wife’s 1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT. The finish is still outstanding. We have entered the car in several concourse events and it has won first or second place in every event. People have even said it has the best finish of any car they have ever seen.

I hope my 2 cents helps.

Like the Meguiar's line, the 3M products are an excellent value and are widely available at many auto parts stores (not quite everywhere like Meguiar's, but you shouldn't have to look too hard to find them in your area). You can get excellent results from 3M as well as any of the other brands mentioned.

I have avoided posting to this thread, because someone is ALWAYS going to dissagree with you.
I have been a professional detailer for a few years, and have been detailing cars on the side for about 15 years. The answer to this question is : THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER!!!
3 Professional detailers can get the same results with 3 different products. The more you use a single line of products (ie Meguiars), the more you get used to it, and the better you undertsand how to use it to get the best results.
That said, I have always used Meguiars professional (in the tan bottles) products. I have always had a nearly perfect daily driver, all it takes is a quick wash to enter it in a show (AND WIN!!!!)
When I got my NSX, I was lured into trying ZAINO. When I took delivery of my car it looked good, but NOT GREAT!!
I spent one afternoon on my car, and this is the process:
Wash with Dawn
Clay entire car with Zaino Clay (best of any Ive tried!!) and zaino wash/water solution
wash entire car agin with dawn.
Machine polished with meguiars #7 (this is a show car glaze that has a VERY minimul abrasive , and is mostly filler)
Wash entire car again with Dawn.
Apply Z1 Polish LOK
Apply Z5 Polish and remove
Applied Z5 and removed 2 more times
Applied and removed 2 coats of Z2
The car looked absolutely awesome when I was done!!

Truth be told, I am planning on trying the Zymol treatment with NSX wax, but Im sort of sick when it comes to this stuff. I'll let you all know the results mid way through the summer. I will not comment on the results, or effort of the Zymol because I havent used it yet
wink.gif

Here is a pic of my Black 91 right after the initial Zaino treatment. Please remember, pics never do justice to a cars finish.

sjj28.jpg

Best of luck with whatever you choose!!

Steve

------------------
Steve
91 Black/Black #2363

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 02 March 2001).]

I've often wondered what waxes and polishes do to the longeivity of a paint job. Because
a car looks so good right after a wax/polish
we tend to assume that we've done something good for the paint. Is it possible
that in fact these various chemicals
decrease the life of a paint job and hasten fading, etc?

I have never used Zymol, but I can swear by Zaino. When I first went to look at my car to see if I wanted to buy it, I was impressed how great it looked and how the previous owner took care of it. I bought it for all of the reasons we love the NSX. Being as anal as I am about the car's appearance, I tried Zaino after my brother's recommendation. I saw the results of Zaino on his brand new PT Cruiser. ( don't laugh, it's a cool car ) I helped him apply the Zaino, and saw the car before and after. The results were just incredible. It literally sparkled. His car is black. Anyway, right then and there I ordered some Zaino for my red NSX. I did the whole deal with stripping the old wax off by using Dawn. You could actually see the old wax flowing in the rinse water as if it were oil. You know how oil leaves a rainbow when it floats on water?
I did the Z1, Z5 , then Z2 , all in one weekend and the results were unbelievable. Mind you, before I started the car looked great. I don't know what the previous owner used. But now, I'm a Zaino fanatic. I use the mister all the time too, in between washes and polishes. It's great. The only reason Zaino recommends doing a small piece at a time is so that it won't dry on the car before you wipe it off. If it does dry, it spots, but you just spray a little more on, wipe and the spots disappear.
I feel it's a great value too, because a little goes a long way. I probably did seven or eight coats between the Z5 and Z2, and have enough left over for several more.
Zaino has a nice web site, check it out

WHOA!! sorry that picture is so big!!!
I cant change the size becaus it is hosted by a freind who is hard to get in touch with!!!

Lud, can you help me there??

Jimbo:

You may have an easy time with Zaino but that's because you are not following the steps.

Do you spray the entire car down with the spray before applying Z2? Doesn't sound like it. According to Zaino, you're supposed to.

That's the step that kills me, I love waxing the car but spraying the entire car down with a spray bottle and wiping it off until it drays one square foot at a time is tedious.

If it weren't for that step, I would stick with Zaino. I still have tons of it.

I love their leather cleaner.

JChoice,

I believe I'm following the steps exactly to the letter.

I don't know where you're hearing that recommendation to use the spray (Z-6 Gloss Enhancer) before applying the Z-2.

I have never heard that, nor could I find it on the Zaino web site anywhere.

Here are the steps I use (and these seem to be in-line with the Zaino recommendations and tips/tricks on their web site)...

Once a season I wash the car and then apply the Z-1 preconditioner. I let it dry to a fine haze and apply the Z-2 and then buff.

Subsequent times, oh say several times a year, I just apply the Z-2 and buff.

The Z-6 Gloss Enhancer is used every so often between Z-2 applications, as I explained...as a touch-up. As such, the one square foot at time rule doesn't bother me and it doesn't seem to matter if I cheat a bit and do several sq ft at time.

That's it.

Let me know where you heard that you need to apply Z-6 before Z-2.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Also...regarding the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer....
http://www.hcvind.com/JulieAnnwithZ6.jpg

Another happy Zaino customer!

LOL!!! - Sorry I couldn't help myself.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Originally posted by Jimbo:
JChoice,

Here are the steps I use (and these seem to be in-line with the Zaino recommendations and tips/tricks on their web site)...

Once a season I wash the car and then apply the Z-1 preconditioner. I let it dry to a fine haze and apply the Z-2 and then buff.
Let me know where you heard that you need to apply Z-6 before Z-2.

Actually, you are doing it out of order, but the final result is probably the same. After the initial coat of Z-1 dries, you should be applying Z-5 on top of the Z-1. Then, you can use as many coats of Z-5 until you have filled in the micro scratches and swirls to your satisfaction. Lastly, you apply the Z-2. Now, if you want a "wetter" look, you can use the Z-6 between the Z-5 applications and Z-2 applications. I usually don't use the Z-6 between each application, I only use it before I'm going to apply the Z-2 every so often.

Dr. L,

I used Z-5 initially until the swirls and fine scratches were pretty much gone. And then I switched to the Z-2.

I don't believe that's out of order. That's what the Zaino web site says and that's what my local Zaino distributor said.

So, to be more correct...

For the very, very first time (after I "Dawned" and clayed the car), I used Z-1 and Z-5. Then for two or three times thereafter, I used the Z-5 by itself.

After that, I was satisfied that the swirls/scratches were not visible, and then I switched to Z-2 (which has better optical properties than Z-5).

As I understand it, the Z-5 and Z-2 are interchangeable. You use one or the other, but not both at the same time as part of the procedure. Once the swirls and scratches are gone, you go to the Z-2.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

You got it right Jimbo, I probably misread something.

Hmmm, it's a nice day. Maybe I should go Zaino something!

I see, the 6 is recommended but not required.

Anyone else besides me frustrated with spraying down the entire car one small section at a time?

I guess I can use the Zaino without the Z6.

JChoice,

Yes. The Z-6 is a separate, optional thing. I suppose it's analogous to many of those spray shine enhancers that are offered by the other companies.

Since it's a clearish liquid it goes on and comes off easy. I do a small section at a time and just go around the car.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Ok, well I have finally had my first experience with the Zymol products today. I recently purchased a black 92 which looks really great upclose by the light of day but dont put it closeup under any lights at night...wow, what a mess. Anyway after getting familiar with the zymol I process I think I have it down. It seems the HD cleaner is the real powerhouse here cleaning up the paint very nicely when applied by massaging into the paint in a back and forth motion. Before and after under a 60W lamp show definate results. However, question is, although this product claims to be non abrasive, I don't really understand what it is doing to "cleanse" the paint.? It must be with the medium pressure that is recommends be applied during the cleanse process. I am interested to see what it will look like in the morning. Keep my fingers crossed! Secondly, it just so happened that my neighbor came by and indicated that he used Zaino, & happened to have the whole line handy..So I decided to give it a head to head comparision. The zaino goes on really nicely and hazes up and removes with no effort at all. The Z-5 seems to work very nicely to remove/fill fine scratches without creating any new ones. But overall, after using the Z-1, Z-5, Z-2, & Z-6, i really could not tell that much difference between the two.. I think they both work pretty well. But I feel that the zymol might last a little longer as it seems a little heavier. But then again, most of us dont really tend to rack up enough miles that would require constant attention.

I'm a Zaino fanatic too. What I like the most about Zaino is the fact that it does not leave any visible white residue anywhere. The only problem is that it won't protect the finish for as long as a good wax , but it's so easy to apply that I don't mind Zainoing my car every two or three months.

Okay!!!!!!!

Thanx guys. So its Zymol all the way!!!!!

biggrin.gif

okay well look...I am going to try the Zymol first. But until this serious drought in Florida is over I have to keep washing to a real minimum (Water restriction laws).

Then I will try Ziano........

Is that the PREMIUM Comet, with 50 percent carnauba chloride? Do you use the special pine cones that you get from Griot's Garage? How many cars can you do with one package of S.O.S. pads?

Steveny, I use brake fluid after the comet and steel wool to remove the swirls. It really works well. After that, I usually go ahead with my normal Z routine.

Back