• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zaino or Zymol

Okay,

Which is better Zaino or Zymol?!?!

Which produces the best gloss/shine?

Which is the least abrasive to the NSX?

Which is easier to apply?

Which one removes haze, scratches, oxidation, etc. the best?

Wich one is the best product for the price?

Not trying to start an argument here so please be as objective as possible.

Thanx

Kevin

'91 NSX blk/blk

1) Zaino
2) Zaino
3) Zaino
4) Zaino
5) Zaino
6) Zaino

That's as objective as I can be Kevin.

I've used both, along with dozens of others....For the past three years I've used nothing but Zaino...It is not abrasive and very easy to use...Keep in mind that it merely hides swirl marks...You need a fine polish (3M) to truly get rid of swirl marks....In my opinion the Zaino gives the deepest, most durable shine. I expected better results from other products, but the Zaino stuff truly exceeded my expectations...Darker colors will literally glow.

Damn, the last time we went around about polishes it was Zymol that everyone recommended so with a black car, I bought some but have been waiting for warm climate to use. Now the hype is all about Zaino. Shew, behind the curve again..

Which is better Zaino or Zymol?!?!

Zymol.

Which produces the best gloss/shine?

I think Zymol but it's damn close.

Which is the least abrasive to the NSX?

Toss-up.

Which is easier to apply?

Zymol, by far.

Which one removes haze, scratches, oxidation, etc. the best?

Zymol HD-Cleanse.

Wich one is the best product for the price?

Meguiar's. Zaino and Zymol are both fairly expensive.

Which company has developed a wax specifically formulated for the NSX?

Zymol.

Which company has sponsored the concours at NSXPO each year, to keep down the cost for NSX members to come to the event?

Zymol.

Which company has given out kits of its products to all the attendees at the past couple of NSXPO's

Zymol.

I have no personal interest in Zymol. I just use it because it gives me great results on my NSX.

$.02

I have not used Zymol, because I learned so much that was more positive about the results of Zaino's.

So I went with Zaino's and it's results are really great. Zaino's fills in the scratches to make them invisible; it does not take them out. It's expensive too at over $120 for a total car kit of treatment products. And, you must be ready to spend an entire weekend or more to do it exactly as described by Zaino.

You first have to remove all existing wax and raod grime with certain detergents and start from scratch (pun intended). You must buy a bunch of 100% cotton white towels made in the USA, and they can only be washed with certain detergents also.

It's a whole system of products and personal behavior; it's not just a paste wax that you slap on and buff out after a wash job.

But oh what a shine it is... When you're done, your car looks like a show car, just as is in the name "Zaino's Show Car Polish." (No I'm not a salesperson, and I don't know Sal Zaino).

Best luck.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

At the risk of repeating myself and being called a Zaino-zealot...

IT'S ZAINO!!!

Some additional thoughts....

I didn't think that the Zaino products were all THAT expensive. Here's what I use on my black 1991 NSX...

1. Z-1 Pre-cleaner = $9.00
2. Z-2 Polish = $13.00
3. Z-5 Polish (for swirl marks) = $17.00
4. Z-6 Gloss Enhancer "Spritzer bottle" = $10.00
5. Z-7 Car Wash = $8.00

Oh.. I also bought their clay bar and did use that for the first time. Keep in mind that you use these products so sparingly they last a very long time.

It's nice that Zymol attends the various NSX events. However, that's not enough reason for me to spend my money on their products.

I seen cars at the various events done with Zymol and I did a fender of my car with Zymol at a show. It looked nice. For me it took much longer to apply the HD-Cleanse and the NSX Wax than the Zaino. It also was more elbow grease.

There's also more of a residue that comes from the HD-Cleanse. You use a lot of it (as was demonstrated by the Zymol rep). You need Q-Tips to remove it from the cracks and crevises. And the NSX wax, according to the Zymol guy, you apply it with your bare hands, first heating it up in your palms...etc. (although you can eat it, if you should so desire - which was also part of the Zymol demo).

One of my issues with Zymol is one of hype. I heard their pitch from the Zymol guy how the NSX is made out a particular heat-treated aluminum alloy and how Zymol is formulated particularly for the car. To which I say..."bull".

The Zymol wax coats the clear coat of the car. It has nothing to do with the aluminum that's under the clearcoat and under the paint.

Go to the Zymol web site and see how they essentially repurpose different waxes with very slight differences for anywhere from $50 to $1000 per tub! It's not strictly the percentage and the type of carnauba (yellow or white) that's used which determines the price. It's how expensive your car is.

If you own a Volvo or a Saab the wax is one price. If you own Jaguar it's another price and if you own a NSX it's $128 (with the discount). They even have wax that's $822 for 8 ounces. And when you look at the ingredients of the various products there's just not that much difference! Certainly not in the expensive components such as the carnuaba, and certainly nothing that would make a difference to the heat-treated aluminum alloy.

For some reason that bugs me. Sorry. Perhaps I shouldn't even bring it up and I'm not trying to criticize or knock anyone's choice on which product they like. I suspect that most NSX owners probably don't care whether or not a tub of wax is $120.

However, I didn't choose the Zaino products because of the price. Frankly, if I felt the Zymol products were better, I probably would still buy them.

I'll get down off my soapbox now....
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

BladeNSX:

I have everything that Zaino sells (except the non-clear coat polish), in fact I spent over $400 for everything. Here is what I found:

1. Swirl removal is useless, I am getting the car buffed again.
2. You have to follow Zaino's instructions, which is long but the car looks great.
3. The polish contains no abrasive at all, so it can't even remove water spots. It is very easy to put on and take off.
4. The glass cleaner, leather conditioner and tire gloss seem average to me. I wouldn't buy that again.
5. The gloss spray is awesome, that is why I got 12 bottles.

Here is what I recommend and was confirmed by Sal (Zaino owner).

1. Take the car to a detail shop to have the car buffed to remove all fine scratches since the swirl removal does not do much.
2. Wash it with Dawn dish soap.
3. Start the Zaino process Z1

The buffing accomplish 2 things, remove the swirl marks and eliminate the use of clay.

Long Long process

Khuang,

Unless you bought multiple items, I can't see how you spent more than $150 for everything Zaino has.
http://www.zainobros.com/files/order.htm

I had great luck with Z-5 getting rid of my swirl marks and light scratches.

I also agree that the gloss enhancer is awesome. I also REALLY like the car wash too.

My thoughts regarding buffing is to be CAREFUL. Buffing a car, particularly a clearcoat car, is really a tough job that should only be attempted by a real pro. Just be careful.

It looks like the last part of your note was truncated.

After the Z-1...you use either the Z-5 or Z-2. As I mentioned, I had a bit of swirl marks and light scratches. After a few applications of the 5, I started using the 2.

I'm sure this sounds confusing and daunting to the uninitiated, but it really is quite easy and straightforward.

Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Here's what I don't like about Zaino:

1. They advise to use dishwashing liquid on your car. That's bull. I would never use dishwashing liquid on my car. It's made for washing dishes, not for washing cars.

Zymol makes a great car wash liquid called Clear.

2. They sell products that don't work - like swirl mark removers that don't take out swirl marks.

3. Too many steps. WAY too many steps.

4. They advise to leave one of their products on your car for 24 hours and then buff off. BAD advice. In 24 hours, the car is going to accumulate dust that you will be buffing into your finish and creating scratches.

5. Some of their products (such as their swirl remover and their leather cleaner) are WAY inferior to others on the market. (Zymol's Clear car wash, their leather cleaner, called Treat, and their interior trim, called Vinyl, are terrific). If they are selling inferior products for some purposes, it makes me question the quality of ALL their products.

6. They claim that one set of products can be used on all finishes. I'd rather have products that are specifically formulated for individual finishes (that's finishes, not metals - maybe someone used the wrong word once, but the concept is important). There are differences among finishes - Japanese car finishes are notably softer than American finishes, for example.

This is just my opinion, of course. I've gotten great results from Zymol. It's the first choice of the top car detailers and show car enthusiasts in the country. There's a reason for that. Their products are great.

This is not to say you can't get good results from other products. You can get great results from Zaino. You can also get great results, at a much lower price, from Meguiar's, which makes very good products that you can purchase at most decent auto parts stores. It's just like changing your oil - the most important thing in taking care of your car is how you do it, not which brand you use. If you use a nonabrasive polish to remove oxidation, and follow it with a good carnauba wax to maintain the gloss and protection, you're going to get better results than if you don't. But I'm extremely finicky about my cars, and I want the absolutely best results I can get. And that's why I choose Zymol.

Originally posted by BladesNSX:
Not trying to start an argument here so please be as objective as possible.

If only it were that easy! Car car products are religion to most enthusiasts.

The "objective" truth is that you can get excellent results from any of the quality 3-step (clean, polish, wax) products. Unless you are entering a major concours I doubt it matters which brand you use. Proper technique and regular use matter more than the specific product.

Just my opinion of course...

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Khuang,

Unless you bought multiple items, I can't see how you spent more than $150 for everything Zaino has.

I bought 12 bottles of Z2 and 12 bottles of Z6. I want to make sure I have enough and not to wait 1 week to get the products. I also have multiple bottles of the car wash. I like to buy in bulk, that way one can give a bottle or two to good friends that is looking into these products.

Sorry to be off the subject here, but I just want to say that these comprehensive & detailed discussion are top notch. No where else could I get this kind of information about the NSX or anything pertaining to NSXs. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts when you spend a lot of time writing & describing your experiences and opinions. Keep at it!

I think I'm even getting a little teary-eyed. *sniff sniff* You guys are the best!

nsxtasy,

1. The use of a dishwashing liquid (i.e. Dawn) is only recommended one time in order to remove old wax and polishes. You're unfairly implying that there's something wrong with this.

2. My experience with their swirl remover is obviously different than yours.

3. Too many steps? I think you're mistaken. True, I did the Dawn and the clay bar, and the first Z-1 pre-treatment (which I reapply every year), but then I just apply the Z-2. It's the same number of steps as Zymol (actually less if you realize just wash and apply Z-2 all but once a year)...but for me less time. Where did you get more steps?

4. I've never heard the recommendation to leave Zaino on for 24 hours. Perhaps you can find that for me...
http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

5. I don't use every Zaino product. For example, I use Lexol for the leather. I use what works best for me. Your claim that since some of their products are better than others, invalidates their entire product line is a bit overboard, IMHO.

6. Yes, there are differences in finishes and I've yet to hear and understand exactly how and why Zymol's formulation is any different than their Japon products. I don't know if the Zymol representative mispoke or what. I just know what he said.

You speak very highly of Zymol and that's great. I believe I have explained, fairly and honestly why I have problems with Zymol. However, if you're going to criticize Zaino in order to make Zymol look better I would suggest you avoid exaggeration. You don't need to unfairly bash Zaino to boost Zymol.

Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

I've had excellent results w/ Griot's Garage's Clay Bar, Polish, and Best of Show Wax.

Haven't used the cleaner yet, but I concur, diswashing liquid is for washing dishes not cars. But I understand the idea of wanting to strip the wax and clean the paint surface. Makes sense.

So far Griot's Garage has been very good to me.

Shawn

Regarding price...It has been said that Zaino and Zymol are both fairly expensive.

Here's the real numbers...

Zaino (from Zaino web site)

1. Z-1 Pre-cleaner = $9.00 (use once a year, lasts a very long time)

2. Z-2 Polish = $13.00 (Use this or the Z-5)

3. Z-5 Polish (for swirl marks) = $17.00 (Use if car has swirls but then switch to Z-5)

4. Z-6 Gloss Enhancer "Spritzer bottle" = $10.00 (Use for touch-ups, etc)

5. Z-7 Car Wash = $8.00

Zymol (from Zymol web site)

NSX Wax = $144.00

HD Cleanse 16oz = $38.30

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

The use of a dishwashing liquid (i.e. Dawn) is only recommended one time in order to remove old wax and polishes. You're unfairly implying that there's something wrong with this.

I don't think it's a good idea to use something that's designed for dishes on my car. Obviously you disagree. I'm not sure why you call it unfair for me to have a different opinion from yours.

Too many steps? I think you're mistaken. True, I did the Dawn and the clay bar, and the first Z-1 pre-treatment (which I reapply every year), but then I just apply the Z-2. It's the same number of steps as Zymol (actually less if you realize just wash and apply Z-2 all but once a year)...but for me less time. Where did you get more steps?

Per Zymol:

1. Clear (car wash)
2. HD-Cleanse
3. Wax

Per Zaino:

1. Car wash
2. Z-18 clay bar
3. Z-1
4. Z2 or Z5
5. Z6
6. Another coat of Z2 or Z5

I've never heard the recommendation to leave Zaino on for 24 hours. Perhaps you can find that for me...

Two places, quoting directly from their website:

1. "You can leave Z-2 or Z-5 on for hours or overnight if you desire." (Okay, it's not 24 hours, but overnight is enough for dust to accumulate, even in a closed garage.)

2. "After removal of Zaino Z-2 or Z-5. You should wait 24 hours if the outside temperature is under 70 degrees and 6 hours if over 70 degrees, before applying the next coat of Z-5 or Z-2."

You speak very highly of Zymol and that's great. I believe I have explained, fairly and honestly why I have problems with Zymol. However, if you're going to criticize Zaino in order to make Zymol look better I would suggest you avoid exaggeration. You don't need to unfairly bash Zaino to boost Zymol.

I don't see why you say I'm being unfair. In fact, it sounds like you're saying it's fair for you to point out what you don't like about Zymol, but it's not fair for me to point out the things I don't like about Zaino. I don't think that is fair.

I am only describing my own experiences. You asked why I said there are more steps and I have listed them. You asked why I said Zaino recommends leaving its products on long enough to collect dust and I have quoted directly from their website.

I'll say it again - you can get great results with Zaino, just like you can with the other brands. As Lud indicates, the key is using a three-step process, and that's more important than which brand you use. If you like using Zaino, good! Keep using it. I just feel that it would be helpful to everyone to point out the reason that I've found better results from Zymol.

For those who haven't used these products - here's my advice. If you want your car to look really good, and you also care about price and convenience, get Meguiar's. Meguiar's makes a complete line of very good products, and they're less expensive and easier to use than either Zaino or Zymol.

If you are really finicky about your car, then read all of the comments and try the one that seems to make the most sense to you. Better yet - try both lines of products, use them both according to the directions, and pick the one that you're happiest with.

nsxtasy,

1. Regarding the Dawn dishwashing liquid... I guess I thought it was unfair because you didn't offer a reason and you seem to imply it was bad. I suppose you could also use a specially designed wax remover if the use of a mild detergent bothers you. Even though Dawn wasn't designed for your NSX, it still works fine and doesn't damage anything when used to remove old wax and crud. When I bought my used NSX it had years of old cruddy wax and polish. The Dawn and clay bay process removed this nicely.

2. Regarding the steps. The clay bar is an option that anyone could do (or not) to start out. Many companies sell these bars and they do a nice job, particularly on older cars. The Z-1 is only done once a season. It's not fair to make it sound like a regular part of the process. Likewise, the Z-6 is used for touchups, etc. Although, I suppose you could apply them every time if you want. And finally, your step six is misleading. Sure, I'll put on another coat of Z2 or Z5, just like you'll put on another coat of wax after awhile. You don't HAVE to put on multiple coats.

Simply put, I wash my car and put on Z2. If I drive around and go to a show or something, I'll take along my spritzer bottle of Z6 as a touchup. That's it. I'm sure there's always people who go overboard, but it's really not that difficult or complex with many steps as you make it out to be. Honestly.

3. Regarding the 24 hours statement... Yes. you CAN leave it on overnight if you wish but you don't HAVE to. And that's a big difference from what you imply. You make it sound like you're supposed to leave it on for 24 hours and then buff off.

That's a big difference than...you can leave it on overnight if you like. And your second comment was to wait 24 hours before applying ANOTHER coat of Z-5 or Z-2. Again, that's not what you implied.

And that's the only reason why I thought you were being somewhat unfair.

You're obviously free to point out why you like Zymol and why you don't like Zaino. If it's your impression or opinion that Zymol is shinier, that's cool. That's a subjective thing and that's fine. I only felt compelled to respond because I thought you were giving the wrong impression regarding objective details.

Hey, look I don't want to start a range war here. We obviously both have much more in common that we have disagreements about!

I'd like to think that if we washed our cars together, I'd help you Zymol yours and you would help me Zaino mine!

;-)

Regards,
Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Lud et al.

Frankly I don't think car polish is so much like religion, because you can actually see the results with your own eyes, or feels the results with your own hand.

I think that the synthetic vs non-synthetic oil discussion is more like religion (see ongoing thread), because no one can see inside their engine, but many "believe" in benefits of these lubricants with no observable proof from thier cars.

I use Zaino's because I see and feel the difference. I don't use synthetic because I know of no published proof that it makes any difference in my NSX's performance or life span (I change oil at 3K).

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

I personally use Zaino but I plan on switching to Meguiars.

I think there may be a difference but the difference is probably not very dramatic.

The problem with Zaino is:

TOO MANY DAMN STEPS. The spray is a big ass pain in the ass. I think Meguiars final detailer goes on and off much easier. The spray instructions say to do a 1 foot square at a time- are they nuts? And if the car is dusty, how do I NOT scratch the car when I'm using a big ass towel but only spraying down a 1x1 square? If I use a little towel then it will take me 45 minutes to do the whole car (like it did last night).

I love the product, seems to work great and it got rid of most of the "spider webbing" in the paint. Is it better than Meguiars? Maybe. But I wash my car all the time, I like to do it. And I don't mind throwing on a coat of wax and polich once a month but for the difference in price and quality, Zaino isn't worth all the work - mostly because of that damn spray.

Also, I can't apply the Zaino in my garage if it's humid or raining outside because it will never dry. Sheesh.

-Justin

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
I am curious to see Zaino results....

Todd, you did see Zaino results. Weren't you impressed with the Monte Carlo Blue that I showed up in. I only applied one full application of Zaino to it in the past year.

If you want, come over and watch me Zaino my NSX one day.

Back