• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ZAINO ZFX

I just tried the new additive from Zaino. A new shipment of stuff included the ZFX, (Flash Cure Accelerator Additive for Z-2, Z-5, Z-3) arrived today.

I put 4 drops into 1 oz of Z2. Shook it for about 90 seconds (hardest part) and applied a coat to my Monaco Blue pearl NSX. I used less than 1/2 of the mixture. I left the car for about an hour and came back. I used a 100% cotton towel to remove and polish.

I have to tell you, I have been bragging about how my car looks with ~50 coats of ZAINO, but it now has come to a new level. I was always impressed how ZAINO looks on red or black cars and was convinced that my blue would never look as good. Well it does now. I would love to see how this mixture works on black.

Anyway, thanks Sal. I'm ready for ShowTime
smile.gif

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black, #264

[This message has been edited by tabasco (edited 01 February 2002).]

Well, my 1995 Black/Black NSX-T looks like *ss after all the track abuse I've put it through.

So...I've seen a lot of discussion on Zaino...but with so many products...what is the easiest, most straightforward way to use Zaino products to get a great paint finish?

I'd rather apply 20 coats of the same products, than have to change from Z1 to Z2 ro Z3, etc...or whatever, you understand? :)

TIA... -Andie

Andie,

I know it sounds complex, but it really isn't. The only real decision you have to make is do you need a clay bar. I was lucky because I put ZAINO on right after I bought the car new. Anyway here is the condensed version (without clay bar).
1. Wash car thoroughly with DAWN liquid dish detergent. Do this to remove all old waxes (you may need to wash twice)

2. Mix ZFX with Z5 (according to directions: about 4 drops to 1 oz of Z5). Sal sends you a nice KIT to do this with.

3. Apply this mixture VERY VERY thinly to your car. Do this out of direct sunlight

4. Remove the haze using a clean 100% cotton towel (Cannon is the best). Polish as you remove.

5. Apply a THIN coat of Z6 (spray) using 10% cotton towel.

6. Repeat with the Z5/ZFX mixture until you are happy that most small swirl mark and scratches are "removed". And, use Z6 between each coat.

7. Mix ZFX with Z2 (same doses as in step 2). Apply as in step 3 and remove as in step 4.

8. Wash your car with Z7.

I hope this takes some of the complexity out. It may sound difficult, but it's not.

You can order using: http://www.zainobros.com/files/order.htm

Good luck

------------------

Sorry for all the ?'s...I checked the Zaino website...got the remaining answers there. :)

So, the one that I would use to "maintain" my shine would be the Z2 after washing with Z7, correct? Like once per week?

Andie

[This message has been edited by HomeDepotNSX (edited 01 February 2002).]

Andie,

Z5 - polish that helps reduce swirl marks. Put on as many coats that you feel have reduced the swirl marks sufficiently then...

Z2 - extra high gloss (same use as Z5). Use as many THIN coats as you like. It layers on top of the last coat.

Z6 - Use between coats of Z2 or Z5 as a supplemental shine and to cure.

Z7 - Use to wash (will not remove much of the Z5/ZS2 you have on.

THE REAL KEY IS TO APPLY EACH COAT AS THIN AS POSSIBLE. I USED LESS THAN A 1/2 OUNCE TO DO MY CAR. A bottle of Z2 should do about 50 coats. I can do a Z6 and Z2 in less than 40 minutes. It is my lunch break therapy.

Go to http://www.evantageone.com/nsx/ to see some pics

Take some before and after pics. What color is you car?

------------------

Andie........you're more than welcome to do a Zaino weekend at my place. I only touch up my car with a sporadic coat of Z-2 every 2-3 months. I do the entire application once a year.

Otherwise I regularily use the Zaino car wash and clay bar when needed.

ak,

It's really not complex. Let's forget about the Z7 car wash and Z6 spray enhancer for a moment.

You choose either the Z5 for finishes with swirl marks or darker cars, or the Z2. If you choose the Z5 you can always switch over to the Z2 later on.

Keep in mind that different Zaino users have different application preferences.

You don't HAVE apply Z2 after Z5, most Zaino users don't. It's not a multi-layered process at all. For most people who have anything except a brand new car - I would recommend starting with the Z5 for a season and then switch over to the Z2 after that.

So...therefore my Zaino application preference is similar to Tabasco's but a little simpler...

1. Wash car thoroughly with DAWN liquid dish detergent. Do this to remove all old waxes, but do it only once. Wash it with Z7 car wash after the first Dawn wash to remove any Dawn residue.

2. Decide between Z2 or Z5.

3. Mix ZFX with either Z2 or Z5 (according to directions: about 4 drops to 1 oz. Sal sends you a nice KIT to do this with.

3. Apply this mixture VERY VERY thinly to your car. Do this out of direct sunlight.

4. Remove the haze using a clean 100% cotton towel (Cannon is the best). Polish as you remove.

You're done, although you might want to apply the Z6 spray enhancer afterwards. It helps the shine but also helps to cut down on static and dust. Very nice.

Wash the car with Z7 and reapply the Z6 after each wash or as needed for touch-ups.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

While I have used Zaino on my red '91 (which is a very low mileage unit) and it does look well, I have to say that had I put nine coats of the PS21 that I had been using on it I believe the car would have looked equally as well and been protected probably better.

Tom,

Nine coats of any car care product on a well-maintained car will surely make it look good.

Regardless of the number of coats... Zaino is a synthetic product which offers excellent protection compared to conventional carnauba/oil products (i.e. P21S).

-Jim

------------------

Ok, can some one tell me where the hell you can find 100% pure cotton un bleached towels? Every place I go, I swear they are bleached!

That's nonsense. All you need is all-cotton towels; don't worry about bleaching. You can get a bag of 36 all-cotton detailing towels (the small kind, maybe one foot square) for around $12 at Sam's Club. They are PERFECT for detailing cars. And when you have that many of them, just keep them handy in a bag or a tub. When one drops on the ground, no big deal - just set it aside for the wash, and grab a clean one.

Unbleached? I've never heard of that recommendation. You do need to be a little careful as to which towels you buy and use however.

I've found the advice on the Zaino site to be worthwhile....

"...Zaino Bros' recommends using only Large Bath size 100% Made in USA White Cotton towels with all of our products. Cotton T-shirts are too small for polish removal and not as absorbent or fluffy as towels and most contain polyester. We have found that certain towels; especially those manufactured abroad, although they say 100% cotton. They are not; they include a blend of polyester and nylon that will definitely scratch and leave swirl marks in your paint finish. The rule of thumb is to use high quality Brand Name large bath towels (Cannon or Fieldcrest) that say 100% cotton and made in the USA. Towels sold in bags in Auto Stores are not 100% cotton. Look carefully on the bag it will probably say made in Pakistan or Bangladesh or other foreign country. Do not use these towels. They will cause swirl marks and scratches on the paint surface. Always, remove the stitching around the towel prior to use. Bargain store polish applicators also contain polyester and nylon fibers and are not to be used. Also, when washing your towels, please do not use any type of fabric softeners. Always use White towels. Do not use Colored Towels they contain dyes..."

I've used the white cotton towels on sale or irregular towels from...

http://www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com/royalvelvet.html

I've also used the 100% cotton towels from Griots (a present from someone) and they've been OK too.

-Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 04 February 2002).]

Perhaps the recommendation was to not use bleach when washing the towels? Which you shouldn't. Also, don't use fabric softener, which reduces the absorbency of the towels.

Regarding the towels I use, they are sold at Sam's in a bag of 36, marked "100% Soft Cotton Terry Towels". They are actually 14" x 17" and the fabric is made in Pakistan (they are packaged here). A friend of mine repeated that same allegation by Sal about imported towels saying they're all cotton not being all cotton (or being sewn together with non-cotton thread), and I called him on it. It turns out there's an easy test - you can set fire to a thread and tell whether it's cotton or not, based on how it burns. I did that with the bag of all-cotton towels from Sam's, and tested the terry part as well as the thread that is used to sew the seams. Sal was wrong. They are indeed all cotton. They won't harm your finish. And twelve bucks will buy you a bag that has all you'll ever need. No need to spend more.

I've seen bagged towels from auto stores that claim that they're 100% cotton and are stitched with polyester or nylon thread. When you burn the thread it melts and curls up.

Sal's "buyer beware" advice is valid, IMHO.

-Jim

------------------

Back