• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zanardi Suspension

All, I need your expert opinions....

I'm trying to do some research in different suspension setups. Can you comment on the Zanardi suspension pluses and minuses, what it is comprised of, the price, and how it compares to the other suspension setups. I will be driving mostly on the street, but like to go to the drag strip. I also would like to track my car sometimes.

This is the priority of the type of driving that I do:

1. Street driving 85%
2. Drag Strip 10%
3. Track 5%

P.S. I don't baby it on the street--nor do I get too crazy on the street (that is what the drag strip is for)
wink.gif

TIA,

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

I woudln't recommend the Zanardi Setup for the street. Its not exactly Gentle on the Buttocks..

Unless you are a die hard track fanatic, or just like driving 10/10ths all the time, the Zanardi setup wil only be irritating at best. I would suggest getting the CT Sway Bars and setting them to full stiff first.

someone here in St Pete put the zanardi suspension on his yellow 97' nsx and was very happy with it however he paid around $2200 for it all and i think for that kind of money you could buy a much more advance set-up.

I have it installed on my 91 for a year or so now and I am very happy with it. I paid less than $900 from Tracy Townsend when he was the part guy...I am sure other vendors will be close in price. (Swaybars, springs and shocks, you will also need the swaybar bushings and bracket spacer in addition.)

Basically, you get...

* A Much stiffer ride. Stiffer than most kits out there.
* The handling is more neutral. The stock understeer is gone. You can throttle oversteer farily easy with stock 16/17 setup.
* Lowers the car a tiny bit. There is still a huge gap between the tires and fender...but you get up and down the driveway pretty good.
* I have been running 17/18 Technos the past couple months, the ride is even stiffer with lower profile tires.
* I don't know what the Zanardi alignment setting is, but I used the Japanese Type S-Zero alignment which was awesome, but the stock yokos lasted only about 5400 miles in the rears. I swtiched back to a 93 with slight less toe in the rear...not noticed any difference on the street.

Hope this helps.

Terry
91 red/black

Is the Zanardi suspension the same suspension that is on the TypeR or TypeS? How does it compare to other aftermarket suspensions? I know I said that I drive a lot on the street, but will sacrifice some softness for performance.

TIA,

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

I have the Z suspension on my 00 Coupe. It still has a touch of understeer at the limit in the wet at the lower speeds (ie at autocrosses) but it is more neutral in general. The best thing about the Z suspension is that it is more communicative that the stock suspension. The Z suspension is based on the Type S (not S.Zero).

I have about 8,000 miles on a set of OEM Yokos and my tire wear is quite even with the Z suspension. 150 of those are track miles, 4 of those autocross miles. I still have about 3000-4000 miles left of tread on the rears (and fronts).

Originally posted by Attitude Adjuster:
Is the Zanardi suspension the same suspension that is on the TypeR or TypeS?

The Zanardi suspension is the same setup as Type S suspension. Type R has much stiffer shocks and higher spring rates...not sure about the sway bars...

Terry

Ive got a 96-t with zanardi springs and koni yellow shocks,ct sway bars ,and rear bush kit.I,m at 91 spec. This combo is very neutral at the track and is comfortable on the street for me.There is still prominent wheel fender gap but the extra height is more spoiler friendly.I think the Z springs are as stiff as you would want without having to fuss with coilovers and the shocks are easy to adjust.

Has anyone tried the TypeR suspension? Why/ Why not?

Well, for one thing, it's virtually impossible to obtain unless you have an NSX-R.
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 December 2001).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Well, for one thing, it's virtually impossible to obtain unless you have an NSX-R.
rolleyes.gif

Ken,

Why is that
confused.gif

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

All, I need your expert opinions....

I'm trying to do some research in different suspension setups. Can you comment on the Zanardi suspension pluses and minuses, what it is comprised of, the price, and how it compares to the other suspension setups. I will be driving mostly on the street, but like to go to the drag strip. I also would like to track my car sometimes.

This is the priority of the type of driving that I do:

1. Street driving 85%
2. Drag Strip 10%
3. Track 5%

P.S. I don't baby it on the street--nor do I get too crazy on the street (that is what the drag strip is for)
wink.gif

TIA,

Kenji,

I have a 98 Coupe with Eibach Springs and all else Stock. On the road the variable rate springs ride well. On the drag strip they allow enough lift to get good traction off the line. On the autocross course the lowered ride hide make the handling very predictable and easy to control. I have yet to take on a high speed road course but the car exhibits no body roll and very crisp handling on the street.

My $0.02.

Dave.

Not exactly, true. Alex Vizcarra has the Type-R suspension on his car.

rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by 19inchNSX (edited 16 December 2001).]

Originally posted by 19inchNSX:
Not exactly, true. Alex Vizcarra has the Type-R suspension on his car.

If he does, he has friends in high places. Probably Mr. M from GruppeM. Maybe he purchased it for him from Japan since Mr. M has an NSX-R.

He got it used. And its not from Mr. Ogose's car. I believe there are at 3-5 people in the U.S. with type-r suspension. Most buy it used in Japan. To buy a new type-r suspension even if you have a type-r owner's certificate, is very expensive.

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
If he does, he has friends in high places. Probably Mr. M from GruppeM. Maybe he purchased it for him from Japan since Mr. M has an NSX-R.

Nothing to do with the suspensions that carry his name, but I was very happy seeing Alex yesterday on TV. All my wishes for the best in his future...
http://www.gazzetta.it/smotori/primopiano_index.jhtml?arti_id=1.0.493552697

I am too lazy to translate but he was very touched by the words expressed for him, for the great public and for the peronal greetings of Todt and Schumi. He did also lower the tension by saying some funny and ironical lines about this state...

"Raramente mi è capitato di essere così emozionato. Posso dire che sono talmente emozionato che mi tremano le gambe" ...
"Mi avete sostenuto nel bene e nel male. Per questo vi ringrazio e vi dedico questo" then he raised on his "new" legs that maybe will allow him to restart walking someday in the future and, who knows, maybe to start driving and racing cars again. "Mi sono spezzato - he concluded - ma non mi piego. È una gara dura, ma faccio il massimo per vincerla".

------------------
'91 NSX Red/Black *totaled* #9 Oversea NSXCA member
'91 NSX Silver/Black/Black http://photos.yahoo.com/gheba_nsx

[This message has been edited by gheba_nsx (edited 17 December 2001).]

From what I've seen/heard:
WHY
- because YOU can -- mind you, its difficult and expensive, but its been done a few times
- they got it right the first time -- maximum performance from a factory track-tuned suspension

WHY NOT
- difficult and expensive
- not adjustable (compared to aftermarket, especially the better coilover setups)
- can be TOO harsh for daily STREET use
- not LOW enough (arguably cosmetic)
- if you have SIGNFICANT ground effects and/or chassis modifications, you might want a more adjustable system

Originally posted by Edo:
I woudln't recommend the Zanardi Setup for the street. Its not exactly Gentle on the Buttocks..

Unless you are a die hard track fanatic, or just like driving 10/10ths all the time, the Zanardi setup wil only be irritating at best. I would suggest getting the CT Sway Bars and setting them to full stiff first.

I just can't agree with this... IMHO, the Zanardi/Type S suspension is what should come stock on the NSX. The regular suspension is waaay to plush, while the Zanardi suspension is a perfect blend of street comfort and trackability. Implying that it's purely track-tuned suspension is quite an exageration... Were my Zanardi track only, or even 'track-most-of-the-time', I'd want stiffer suspension and wider tires (yeah, I'm still not believing the BS that wider tires on the NSX don't help it corner better).

-Z18

(yeah, I'm still not believing the BS that wider tires on the NSX don't help it corner better).

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a lot of track experience.
wink.gif

Differences due to the width of the tires are going to be insignificant. You will NEVER notice them, except for the ol' placebo effect. Believe it.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 December 2001).]

(yeah, I'm still not believing the BS that wider tires on the NSX don't help it corner better).

Spoken like someone who doesn't have a lot of track experience.
wink.gif

Differences due to the width of the tires are going to be insignificant. You will NEVER notice them, except for the ol' placebo effect. Believe it.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 December 2001).]

That's pretty funny... I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, but suffice it to say, not only do I have a ton of track time, on all sorts of different sports cars (and a race car), but Doug Hyashi who I think has more track time on an NSX than anybody agrees with me...

-Z18

Back