• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zanardi to test a Williams

From f1.racing-live.com:

[27/04/05 - 16:55]

Zanardi to test a Williams
Thanks to Mario Theissen and BMW

Alessandro Zanardi

Alessandro Zanardi, who is now driving for BMW in the European Touring Car Championship (ETCC), will test a Williams F1 car in a few weeks. It will probably happen in a special, separate event during the European Grand Prix weekend (27-29 May).

Four years ago, Zanardi was involved in a terrible accident during a CART race at the Lausitzring circuit. The Italian lost both of his legs but courageously recovered from the crash and is now walking with the use of prosthetic legs. Driving the Williams will require a few adjustments to accommodate him.

Zanardi is looking forward to the test: "I drove a few years in F1 so I am not worried. It seems that there is not enough space below the steering wheel so they will have to modify the car a little bit. I can't wait to drive it. I am sure it's going to be a lot of fun!"

Alessandro Zanardi's last season in F1 was in 1999 at Williams. At that time, the team was not using BMW engines but the German manufacturer is now the link between Williams and Zanardi, making this test a reality.

Some people stay home from work when they sneeze a few times...........................A. Zanardi is an amazing individual.

Armando

Small fault in the news: The ETCC is now a world championship (WTCC), not only an european any more.

And: if somebody is too lazy to research - the european GP will be on the Nuerburgring GP track (which I drove last year and found it more challenging than I thought before). Will be a hell of work when you can only use your hands.

NSX-Racer said:
Will be a hell of work when you can only use your hands.

Actually, he uses prosthetic legs that are attached to the pedals, at least in his WTCC car. I read an article where they asked him to test how much pressure he could apply with the prosthetic, so he put a bathroom scale against the wall and pushed. It was more than enough.

Go Alex!

brahtw8 said:
Actually, he uses prosthetic legs that are attached to the pedals, at least in his WTCC car. I read an article where they asked him to test how much pressure he could apply with the prosthetic, so he put a bathroom scale against the wall and pushed. It was more than enough.

Go Alex!

Hi

Yes he illustrated that on Letterman how he put the scale on the wall and pushed.

Amazing man.

Regards

brahtw8 said:

Go Alex!
Just saw in the official WTCC coverage that Alex uses only one leg and one pedal that is just for the brakes. Throttle is behind the wheel, clutch is at the shift lever - so I was not completely off - he has to do most of the work with his hands (except of the brakes).

Back