• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice on purchasing a NSX

I will be in the market for a NSX soon, maybe towards the end of the year. I know nothing about them at all. Someone told me to stay away for the earlier models (91), I cannot recall why. Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated because there is a cheap one in my area for sale, but its an auto. I believe its a 91 with 100k on it; clear title also. The body looks clean and the car has no major issues or anything.

I would stay away from an automatic unless it is an absolute necessity (unable to drive a stick, due to some disability, etc.); besides being generally less enjoyable to drive, they are detuned from the factory, and have a different cam profile.

The 1991-1992 models suffer from snap ring issues on manual transmissions, this is a manufacturing defect which can result in a failure that will immobilize the car, and will cost around $1500 in parts, and $1500-2000 in labor to fix.

1993+ cars have dual airbags, instead of a driver-side only airbag, Acura fixed the snap ring problem by changing the manufacturing process on transmission cases, the cars also feature cup holders, and some other advantages. 1994 is the last year of the hard top, and has redesigned (larger) wheels, and an exhaust with dual round tips instead of oval tips.

1995+ years have removable roofs, the NSX-T, but 1995 is the year Acura switched to OBD2 diagnostics, so perhaps harder to modify extensively.

1997+ nsx's have 1" larger diameter brakes, 3.2L engines instead of 3.0L engines, redesigned exhaust manifolds, and a 6spd manual transmission instead of a 5spd.

2002+ nsx's have a face lift with fixed headlights, and have 17/17 redesigned wheels, as well as different side skirts, rear fascia, and tail lights.

2004-2005 models have a really cool shift knob.

^Thank you sir, for all the info :smile:

I want to stay away for an auto also. I made that mistake when purchasing my MK4. Its just that this one is so cheap. But after reading your post I'll just wait and save up some more.

Last edited:
Read, read, read, and then read some more :cool:

LOTS of good info on this site. Way too much for one post!

I wouldn't poo poo an automatic transmission for a few reasons. I live in the heart of San Francisco and it is a challenge to drive my six speed in the city and up some of our hills. Ask some of the guys in the Bay Area. They don't want to bring their NSX over here. At times I've thought it would be wonderful to have an automatic. Often I find myself on the 101 freeway during rush hour. Again, it would be nice to have an automatic transmission. So an automatic transmission doesn't perform as well as a manual transmission. Are you going to track your car? Into street racing? How much performance do you really need?

I've had a few NSX's. The first one I owned was when I lived in the UK and it was a manual transmission as well. The first one I drove was in the UK. The dealership let me drive one prior to purchase and it was an automatic. It was also a paddle shifter and it was a blast to drive. I still smile when I think about driving that one. As I was pulling onto the motorway, the dealer said, "Just pull up on the paddle to upshift and push down on the paddle to downshift." Well I was pulling up on the paddle getting on the motorway and going threw the gears when he said, "You might want to mind your speed." I looked at the speedometer and I was going 140 mph. Had no idea.

Dtrigg just likes automatics because its more like driving his Hoveround.

The 1991-1992 models suffer from snap ring issues on manual transmissions, this is a manufacturing defect which can result in a failure that will immobilize the car, and will cost around $1500 in parts, and $1500-2000 in labor to fix.

I'm sorry, but this is patently untrue. Yes, there is a snap ring issue that affects some cars with transmission serial numbers that fall within a certain range. All 1991-1992 models do not have snap ring problems.

On top of that, not all the transmissions that fall within the snap ring range will fail. There is a likelihood that some will.

Read this thread to find out more.

My Hoveround aside, why would you be interested in purchasing a NSX if you know nothing about them?:confused:

Doug, I thought you got the six-speed conversion on your Hoveround? :confused:

Here's Doug's original Hoveround.

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I guess a better question would be... would you buy a 91 clean title auto NSX for $18k?

Not if I could get a manual for not too much more. There's a reason it is that cheap, nobody wants it!

Doug, I thought you got the six-speed conversion on your Hoveround? :confused:

Here's Doug's original Hoveround.

Now that brings back memories. Had that ride for about five years and traded up to a Bumper Dumper.:biggrin::biggrin:

Now that brings back memories. Had that ride for about five years and traded up to a Bumper Dumper.:biggrin::biggrin:

I was wondering when someone would recall the bumper dumper - great Doug - thanks.

UNCLE BOOGER'S
WORLD FAMOUS
BUMPER DUMPER

® U.S. Patent # 6125480
Made in
usawhiteback(small).gif

Doug on safari - with upgrade.....!! :biggrin:​

Lots to learn dude - but may be possible to hook up the bumper dumper - could that be his hidden reason??? OP - Just having a bit of fun here. Really there is so much to learn and depending on how dilligent you are with posts - it may take you at least 6 mos to figure out what's a good deal and why and what to look for and what fits your bill or budget. Be patient - that is good advice no matter what your looking for!:wink:

I was wondering when someone would recall the bumper dumper - great Doug - thanks.

UNCLE BOOGER'S
WORLD FAMOUS
BUMPER DUMPER

® U.S. Patent # 6125480
Made in
usawhiteback(small).gif

Doug on safari - with upgrade.....!! :biggrin:​

LOL :biggrin::biggrin: Good one Tim. Ken is the Bumper Dumper expert on this site.

Cuz I want one :tongue:

Excellent way to ingratiate yourself to members of Prime. Particularly nice response when you're asking people for advice and assistance.:rolleyes:

Lots to learn dude - but may be possible to hook up the bumper dumper - could that be his hidden reason??? OP - Just having a bit of fun here. Really there is so much to learn and depending on how dilligent you are with posts - it may take you at least 6 mos to figure out what's a good deal and why and what to look for and what fits your bill or budget. Be patient - that is good advice no matter what your looking for!:wink:

Yes sir, I'm not really in a rush or hurry; not going to jump on the 1st NSX for sale. Just doing a bit of shopping really. I'm gonna wait it out and see, hopefully I can find a killer deal.

Excellent way to ingratiate yourself to members of Prime. Particularly nice response when you're asking people for advice and assistance.:rolleyes:

Well I have a white MK4 and blue FD, so a NSX would complete that. Also if it was red I can have red white and bule :smile:

P1012226.jpg

Why can't anyone call them Supras or RX7s? What the heck is an FD?

When you get one, please don't call it an NA1 or NA2.

Good luck in your NSX quest.

Yes sir, I'm not really in a rush or hurry; not going to jump on the 1st NSX for sale. Just doing a bit of shopping really. I'm gonna wait it out and see, hopefully I can find a killer deal.

Well I have a white MK4 and blue FD, so a NSX would complete that. Also if it was red I can have red white and bule :smile:

P1012226.jpg

I'm not big on domestic vehicles either, but I do find quite a bit of irony with setting a goal of obtaining 3 vehicles bearing the colors of our flag when they're all Japanese. You could instead dump the RX-7, get a red NSX, and the pair would be properly represented. :tongue:

Last edited:
Back