• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

anyone have pics or a 285/30/18 on a 9" rim???

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this? I realize that 9.5" is the minimum recommended rim width for most 285/30/18s, and I have done that , but if anyone has 285s on a 9" I would be interested in checking it out
thanks guys

I've never heard/seen anyone running that large a tire on that rim width. If it fit, I think the sidewalls will bubble outwards (like a muffin top :))

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this? I realize that 9.5" is the minimum recommended rim width for most 285/30/18s, and I have done that , but if anyone has 285s on a 9" I would be interested in checking it out
thanks guys

Most tires can fit an extra .5" wheel width less or more then what is recommended. The tendency to have a tire pop or have the bead loose seal can increase, which is why its not considered "safe."

What I was looking for , is pictures of exactly how far it will hang over the rim , and how it looks , I dont really see how it will be likely for the bead to come off if the tire is wider than the rim? Would'nt the tire have a tendency to stay on BETTER? since the sidewalls are pushing outwards on the rim?
I have seen a 285/30 on a 9.5, and a 275/30 on a 9 so I can guess it will stick out more, I was just wanting to see it?

MY NSX came like that...Needless to say I took that combo off ASAP!!!

My car came with 295 30 19's I upgraded to 305's, and that is the most I would go as it does have a slight bulge..but that is on 11 inch rims! And any narrower rim I certainly would not do....

What I was looking for , is pictures of exactly how far it will hang over the rim , and how it looks , I dont really see how it will be likely for the bead to come off if the tire is wider than the rim? Would'nt the tire have a tendency to stay on BETTER? since the sidewalls are pushing outwards on the rim?
I have seen a 285/30 on a 9.5, and a 275/30 on a 9 so I can guess it will stick out more, I was just wanting to see it?

I'm sorry I can't offer a picture, but I did try this once on a M3. It might be hard to understand without my hand gestures... but if the sidewall is already stretching more then normal, it has much less flex and give to an impact that may cause air pressure to push in other directions opposite to the impact. Because. Think of it like a rubber band, if you have more tension in it, and then all of a sudden give the same impact down the center of it, chances are there will be more rebound, or it will break... depending upon the impact.

You should be okay with that, its only 1/2 inch.
FYI: A lot of drifters stretch their tires here's a sample.
DSC00791.JPG

Those are 245/45/16 tires stretched on 16X11 rims..

or this
theshitnr0.jpg

I don't know the exact tire size, but as you can see its obviously stretched, like streeeetched. You can find people stretching tires like 195/60/14 to a 14X9.5 rims.

The reason for the stretched tire and don't quote me on this, its because you're reducing the contact patch of the tires making it easier to break traction. And another reason is looks, I actually like the stretched look. :wink: It doesn't look bulky..

Personally, I wouldn't go "gangsta" stretch, I like gripping more than drifting..

niM

I think a couple of you have the wrong idea, I am putting a 285 on a 9" rim, the tire is WIDER than the rim

I got the 285/30 on 19x9.5 rims. It fits perfect. I wouldn't have a problem putting a higher profile 285 on a 18x9. If the sidewall does slope some, it won't be too noticable on the 35 series unlike a 30 series where the sidewalls would slope considerably more. Looks wise. Performance wise, based on my current experience, I'd still do it.

You should be okay with that, its only 1/2 inch.
FYI: A lot of drifters stretch their tires here's a sample.
DSC00791.JPG

Those are 245/45/16 tires stretched on 16X11 rims..

or this
theshitnr0.jpg

I don't know the exact tire size, but as you can see its obviously stretched, like streeeetched. You can find people stretching tires like 195/60/14 to a 14X9.5 rims.

The reason for the stretched tire and don't quote me on this, its because you're reducing the contact patch of the tires making it easier to break traction. And another reason is looks, I actually like the stretched look. :wink: It doesn't look bulky..

Personally, I wouldn't go "gangsta" stretch, I like gripping more than drifting..

niM

since i came from the 240 community, they said they stretch the tires because they want to preload the tire sidewall so there is no flex or initial play in the response of the tires. This also stiffens up the sidewalls quit a bit.

this reduces ultimate grip but make the car more responsive and the break away point to be much more progressive compared to a bubbled sidewall tire or a perfectly square side walled tire.

Im running 295's on a 9" wheel for a year now, im getting new wheels so this temporary.

since when is a year only temporary? you sound like a brother in law or something:tongue:

OP youll be fine running 285 on a 9, might have a little extra sidewall flex/roll but with that wide its not like putting a 205 wide tire on a 5.5" wheel, its alot less percentage width wise off the recomended specs than the 205's i mentioned,

anyways, id run 10" wide but if you have to for whatever reason then go for it, theres nothing wrong with stepping to 275's though, its just less rotational weight:biggrin:

since when is a year only temporary? you sound like a brother in law or something:tongue:

OP youll be fine running 285 on a 9, might have a little extra sidewall flex/roll but with that wide its not like putting a 205 wide tire on a 5.5" wheel, its alot less percentage width wise off the recomended specs than the 205's i mentioned,

anyways, id run 10" wide but if you have to for whatever reason then go for it, theres nothing wrong with stepping to 275's though, its just less rotational weight:biggrin:

i thought maybe he wanted to put them on his stock wheels, but i realized that they don't make 285mm wide tires in 17 inch diameter wheels.

The reason for the stretched tire and don't quote me on this, its because you're reducing the contact patch of the tires making it easier to break traction.
I assume you're posting a reason NOT to stretch tires onto a rim that's too wide. As NSXDreamer2 noted (while I was typing this post), tire manufacturers publish specs which include a recommended range of rim widths for each model and size of tire they make. I was discussing this with a couple of tire engineers from Michelin this past year. The reasons not to use rims that are wider than this range, or rims that are narrower than this range, are the same: in either case, stresses build up in the sidewalls and they can result in excessive heat being generated. If severe enough (especially in combination with other factors like improper tire pressure), tire failure can result.

As noted in the first post above, most 285/30-18 tires are approved only for mounting on rims 9.5-10.5 inches wide. I would not recommend mounting them on rims narrower than specified. Especially with such low-profile tires, where the sidewall is extremely short.

By the numbers it's not much sidewall, but physically and visually my 285/30/19 has LOTS (being a relative word) of sidewall compared to the "recommended" 265/30/19. 265/30/19 was too narrow of a tire for my 9.5" rim in my opinion, the sidewalls sloped too steep and had NO rim protection what so ever from curbing.

So what did you decide? I think the only reason you should run 285/30/19 though is if you get a killer deal on them. They're just too stinking expensive normally and the selection sucks in comparison to 265/30/19.

Back