• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Caravan to NSXPO 2013

Hey guys, just wanted to set up this thread to plan a group down to Raleigh in October. Friday the 11th is the 'gather everyone together' date, so we can have a leisurely drive down from the DC area.

My idea was to drive down early that Friday morning to go from DC to Blacksburg, VA roughly four hours away. A Blacksburg-area local has offered to guide us to some local NSX-worthy drives in the region to enjoy before heading down to Raleigh. If we're really early, we could even enjoy a cruise on the Blue Ridge all the way into Blacksburg as well.

What do you guys think?

Bob and I will be cruising down on Friday from the tristate area.

Would you guys be coming through the DC area around say, 5am ~ 6am?

I think we'll be later than that.

I'll be heading down earlier in the week or I would be joining you.

Dave

Last day for standard NSXPO 2013 registration fees is next Wednesday, September 11! Any registrations after that will include additional fees. Sign up if you haven't!

I will be heading down and driving through around 10a though my car will be on the trailer.

Myself and Syndicate would be interested if the timing works out.

It's about an 8 1/2 trip from just outside NYC depending upon stops along the way so preliminarily I am looking at leaving at approximately 5:00 am depending upon when it would work to meet up with DocJohn at the appropriate place on I95.

What I was thinking was leaving from the DC area around 6am or so then arriving at Blacksburg (which is well west and south of DC) before lunch. A local to Blacksburg and offered to show us some of the area roads and twisties before we head down to Raleigh.

I personally avoid driving the 95 corridor because of the traffic and speed traps so I thought it'd be a bonus to drive a more scenic part of VA while also checking out some awesome driving roads by another NSX owner.

since this is all a moving target we'll have to see what gels that day.

I'm not worried about traffic because if you time it right, you miss it all the way down. Speed traps are everywhere anyway so that doesn't bother me either. But since we are driving over 525 miles in one shot, I'm not looking to add miles just to do some twisties so we will stick to the main roads.

.....and I do what I'm told...............:redface:

We should see if any of the North East/ Canadian guys will be passing through and when. It would be a great ride to NC with tons of NSXs.

I'm going to rent a double-wide tractor trailer and drive in front of you @ 35mph under the speed limit. The whole way.

Do the NE guys have an established NSXPO caravan thread we can coordinate with? I agree with earlier posts; a big group of NSXs coming down together would be pretty impressive/a lot of fun.

many of the NE regulars are making a longer vacation out of it and heading down earlier in the week.Bob and I don't have that luxury.

If you guys are leaving from 5am or so, would meeting up with us in DC around 9am work out? If so, we can meet up at a coffee shop or someplace and then head down.

Alternatively, we can do the "rolling meet" where we chase you down on the interstate.... although I feel like that is something of a SoCal thing haha

9am meetup in the DC area works out for everyone?

We can meet a coffee shop just off of the interstate to make it easy (of course I'm thinking of options in Alexandria, just off of the 495/95).

Anyone else for this? Right now we have Dan (blue_myriddn) and James (jhouser) as well as myself committed to this idea. I am sending some PMs out; if you are interesting in driving down with us to NSXPO on Friday morning, please reply here or send me a PM.

Last edited:
The way I see it, we have two route options:
attachment.php

The first (in grey) is highways and is faster at roughly 4 hours drive time. With check in at 4:30PM, we can take this route and leave DC at noon and still have plenty of time for the drive.
The second (in blue) is backroads and is slower at roughly 6 hours drive time. Again, we can easily make check-in even leaving at 10-11AM.

9AM departure from DC doesn't seem sensible given traffic considerations.

My guess is that if we are going to try and meet with the NorthEast guys, that the Grey Route makes the most sense. However, if we can't meet with them, I'd say lets take the scenic journey via route 29.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NSXPO-Routes.jpg
    NSXPO-Routes.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Route29.jpg
    Route29.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Back