• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce Carbon Fiber Engine Cover Group Buy

nsxpowered said:
NSXROC: Okay this is odd. I had my brother bring up 3 hinges because that is all he can find in San Diego. I put it on the cover and it didn't fit. I can't be 100% certain if those hinges are on the hatch or the engine cover. So I looked at a 1992 NSX engine cover which belongs to an employee of mine and it works. Since the hinges I have does not work I will just buy the 3 sets for those I promised to send. I will just give you my employee's hinge so I can send you the tape. I will send out the following type of tapes, black foam tape, clear rubber tape, thicker clear rubber tape, and mylar dots. The thin mylar tape seems to be my favorite, but putting it on the glass takes a lot of attention. I will be sending out full rolls which is more then enough, actually enough to do 3 covers so that will give you plenty of practice. The camera is here but Ben forgot the charger so it will have to wait again for me to snap some result shots.

I was waiting for DF to send me the black foam tape, clear rubber tape, thicker clear rubber tape, and mylar dots to try on my engine cover. After weeks of waiting, I received just the black foam tape in the mail. Also, I am still missing the stays.

I removed the 3 lexan windows and removed the mylar tapes. You want to be careful not to pop out the lexan windows with too much force to prevent hairline cracks on the surface of the engine cover. Then, I attach the double-sided black foam tape on the engine cover and reinstalled the lexan windows. The black foam tape is definitely better than the mylar tapes. You don't see as much adhesive. The black foam tape worked becuase I have the smoked lexan windows. I am not sure if the black tape will look good in other lexan colors.

Although, not 100% perfect to my standards, I can live with the existing condition. The engine cover is very nice looking, many have already complimented me. I just wish that I could have more different types to adhesive to try on.

Thanks

I am still waiting for the stays too. Ben said it was shipped, but it was over 10 days ago. I sent Ben a PM just now and will wait for an update.

Does anyone know part # of the stays for the engine cover? I never received the part from DF. It was supposed to be shipped over 10 days ago. I think I will be better off buying the part myself from the dealer.

NSXROC said:
Does anyone know part # of the stays for the engine cover? I never received the part from DF. It was supposed to be shipped over 10 days ago. I think I will be better off buying the part myself from the dealer.
Part# is 74820-SL0-305

Give them a little break. They done enough for customers, even I don't bug them this much:smile: .

zero problems with my cantrell concepts cf cover
paranoid.gif

lowballer said:
Part# is 74820-SL0-305

Give them a little break. They done enough for customers, even I don't bug them this much:smile: .

Thanks for giving me the part #. I appreciated.

Last edited:
NSXROC: Sorry for the delay again on this small OEM part. I personally picked up these parts from a shop yesterday and Ray will be sending it to you. I tell you there is no dealers in the USA that stock this item. There may be some parts now in the Honda distribution center because of us. They had to write a letter to Honda to manufacture more of these pieces that no one normally buy. We are also sending out the mylar dot to you with it.

Now here is the breakdown of this product. When I first offered the product, it was $100 off from the original price. Then during the course of getting all the hardware and final touches together, I started throwing in free OEM arm stays which cost me $45+. Then I threw in the free clear coating done by another shop that charged me $85 a piece. The tape I used was one of the more expensive ones which I thought would turn out good, but didn't. The black foam tape are $20 a roll which can do 3-4 covers, but the mylar was $45. I purchased over 10 rolls of tape just to test out which worked out okay. In the beginning I was going to use mylar dots, but I wanted the seal to be better so I tried the tape.

I started this business as a customer myself and my passion is with the NSX. Most business people know that you can't make a good living off just the NSX alone. So far to date I have nearly lost all of my life savings on this business. I have been operating on a net loss of $15k a month from the beginning and the past few 6 months has been even worse at $50k loss a month. I only earn around $20k a month on this business in gross sales and my cost ranges from $35k to $50k. I hired Ben and Ray to do a better job then me because it is hard for me to do any R&D and customer service.

I'm not in the business to take advantage of you. I will offer you 110% money back right now. I'm sorry you are disappointed and hope you can get something else to better replace this product. My cost for making this cover is very high. My employees are all highly experienced prototype workers and the lowest wage I pay to my worker is $13.65. On average I pay out around $24/hr and I have 9 employees.

We had some problems with the new setup because Ben and Ray are not familar with the NSX so they got some shipments wrong and shipped items that are missing something. Any error has been made are all corrected. For those that know me, they know I'm about to go broke doing this business and so I am forced to tap into the other markets.

I could've made the mounting simple by using black silicone, but I wanted this product to be interchangable and servicable. If you want a permanent bond then silicone is the way to go. I can't control the quality of the clearcoating, as soon as the move is complete we will be doing our own clearing inhouse which will cut production time by 1/2.

The information we provided was based on what I was told by others. I had to go through 3 dealers to get the hinges because they would say they made the order but it was never done. I have no reason to lie about time or what part is missing. I hope I can soon find a reliable source for OEM parts so this won't happen again.

ALL OTHER CUSTOMERS
Please bare with me on this matter. We are still in the middle of a move, and our production is 5 miles away from our office side so communications is difficult. I just had my 2nd baby few days ago and I was out of work for 3 weeks. I have a lot of catching up to do. If you want your money back let me know. We will be sending out the OEM parts so do not worry. I will be sending out the new tapes and dots.

All new engine cover orders will come untaped so you can do it yourself. I will give enough tape to do 20 covers so it doesn't matter if you mess up.

Ben is away for the week on some personal issues, I hope he will be coming back next Monday.

Vega$ NSX said:
Personally, I'd like to thank you and Downforce for putting this all together. It's easy to forget just how hard it is to organize a group buy, especially when the ones that usually benefit the most are the buyers. I think if nobody has paid anything then really nobody can really be upset about anything. Really the worst it has cost anyone is having their name on a list for a few weeks. Anyhow, I'm glad to see this is moving forward. Even though I haven't seen any mesh pictures yet, I'd still like to change my order to a mesh insert. Thanks!

I posted this months back in this thread and I still stand by it. Someone argued the bold part with me when I posted it, but until you have actually do a group buy, it's hard to truly understand what it takes. I did one once, and it cost me hundreds of dollars and I never ended up selling a single product.

That is why I'm still patiently waiting on the list. All I ask for is communication and they have done that ten-fold.

Just out of curiousity, since I'm the only one that ordered mesh... Do I need to bother with the tape sticky thingy or is mine attached in a different way? In fact, just how is mine attached anyway?

Peter has never failed me on any of my purchase, and I love his product. You can't find a more honest, hard working guy in this business on this side of the planet.

NSXRoc, he will take care of you. Don't worry!!! Remember, the waiting time is nothing!!! Took Hitoshi of GT-ROM 4 months to get my exhaust ready, and he quoted me 3 weeks. Remember, you are getting a top notch stuff for next to nothing.:smile:

In case you don't know this, Honda will not stock NSX parts that will sit on the shelf for long time without buyers. Judging by the parts related to this cover, they are not some they sale often, if ever! All those odd parts are made to order from Japan; all orders has to be submit to Honda USA, than to Honda Japan. Just the manufacturing and international shipping will take some time.

One more thought. Us targa owners *may* have no use for the stays. On my car the stay is mounted to the strut bar and it pivots up to keep the engine cover open from below. It occured to me recently when I lifted up the cover of an older car that the stays on the older cars are mounted to the cover itself.

Ben - if you can confirm that the stays which you plan to send are mounted to the cover itself, you can keep the one you were planning on sending me. I dont need it. Im not sure how Im going to keep the cover up if that is the case tho. Ill figure it out. But I do need the hinges when you're able to send them.

I totally agree with you on that...it's my favorite mod after lowering/rims mod.

This is one of the next best mod that I can say "WOW...that's beautiful".

I can understand those who are still on the waiting list. Due to the back-order hinges, the engine cover is not operational. It's worth the waiting for this cover in my opinion. I haven't been able to use mine at all, but I just pretend that the cover is not ready yet. No biggie...I'll continue to wait for the last part.

BioBanker said:
I love my engine cover.

It is one of my favorite mods so far. It looks awesome.

Okay, I'm going to scratch the black foam tape. The solution is to keep the current adhesive because it has a higher operating temperature and in the event you want to remove it in the future it will be easier.

The fix is to have a precise vinyl (black) border applied on the top side of the lexan. We are awaiting for the first set to be done so we can try it out.

Thanks,
Peter

Got my hinges and other parts. To save some of you a few minutes the hinge part of the hinge should be closest to the front of the car.
I wasnt using my engine cover so of course I mounted it the other way first and couldnt close the glass.
Heres some pics
Enjoy

Attachments

• PC150179.JPG
    PC150179.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 159
  • PC150180.JPG
    PC150180.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 116
  • PC150182.JPG
    PC150182.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 125
  • PC150192.JPG
    PC150192.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 129
PAUL M said:
Got my hinges and other parts. To save some of you a few minutes the hinge part of the hinge should be closest to the front of the car.
I wasnt using my engine cover so of course I mounted it the other way first and couldnt close the glass.
Heres some pics
Enjoy
paul , could you take some pics with the rear window closed?

I have received my hinges as well.

Again, more thumbs up while driving...I think it's the cover :)

Here are my pictures.... It was cloudy all day today so I couldn't get any sun hitting the cover. Since the cover was so light, I was able to install it myself.

Thanks Peter and the rest of Downforce crew!

Beautiful.

Still waiting for another group buy. Let us know when you're ready!

swbatte said:
Beautiful.

Still waiting for another group buy. Let us know when you're ready!

i think someone from DF mentioned there would be no more GB's on DF items... just their regular pricing... you might want to ask them...

Ben told me by email he would honor the GB price on this for those on the waiting list.

Just a quick update as I have been getting alot of questions via PM.

We are almost done with the spray booth. About 1-2 weeks, and we will be able to fill all orders.

The current painter we are using while we are waiting on the spray booth is backed up because of the holidays. I am not counting on them right now, and have stopped sending parts over there to be cleared.

Thanks for your patience.

If you are on the LIST, and have not had your order completed yet, or have talked to me yet, please PM me now.

I have a handful that will be ready this week.

Back