• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GOOD lOCKSMITH FOR DOOR TUMBLERS

I have searched the forum and no dice.. Im restoring a 92 BB and some clown painted the lock faceplats some years ago when the car was resprayed... Anyhow I purchased a new set of door locks as you cannot buy either the face plates (black) or the plastic trim ring grommet separate.. Long story short my locksmith said he would have to destroy the faceplates to re key them.. he would put some kind of aftermarket type WTH?? anyone deal with this or know a good LS whom has done NSX Door locks

Yes, any rekeying that I have seen requires that the face plate on the lock cylinder be pried off. In the 'old days' when the face plates were stainless steel (or something similar) the edges could be pried up and the face plate pulled off and if the lock smith was careful in the removal the faceplate could be put back on and carefully tapped around the edges to hold it in place. Fastidious owners would file down any irregularities and then polish so that the rekeying effort was essentially invisible. Most of the new faceplates seem to be plastic or something that is not as durable as SS so I expect they probably crack / deform on removal which is why the go-to solution appears to be to snap on aftermarket replacements. A super careful locksmith might be able to remove the face plate and keep it mostly intact so that it is reusable; but, they may not be prepared to guarantee that, which is why they float the aftermarket face plate solution. I think that is what you are going to have to live with. Perhaps shop around to find a lock smith with an after market face plate that is the best match for the NSX and whether they might be prepared to try and reuse the existing face plate.

If you don't like the answer the lock smith provides, the other option is to see if you can pop the face plate off yourself without damaging it. If you can then you have the option of re keying the cylinders yourself. You can buy kits from lock smiths or internet vendors and there are a number of U Tube videos showing how to re key cylinders. Re keying isn't that hard as long as you are attentive and not all thumbs.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply I kinda thought that may be the answer..most of the LS I spoke with tell me the plate they use is aftermarket and the plastic trim ring that goes on after my not fit right...

I cannot believe with all us NSX people on the forum nobody has done this with success some where or Honda cannot sell the tumblers keyed to a Vin

thanks for the reply I kinda thought that may be the answer..most of the LS I spoke with tell me the plate they use is aftermarket and the plastic trim ring that goes on after my not fit right...

I cannot believe with all us NSX people on the forum nobody has done this with success some where or Honda cannot sell the tumblers keyed to a Vin

Most owners I've seen over the years who change locks buy all of them new- including the ignition switch- because they come with a new key from Honda. Probably to avoid the exact issue you are describing.

Back