• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Installing Pistons in OEM Calipers with Air

After unsuccessfully trying to install pistons into the new dust cover boots in rebuilt calipers per the manual, and destroying one new rubber dust boot in the process I decided to do some searching on the internet. I did find several methods of getting the boot over the piston, but the one that I found works best is using air. There was no specific video for the NSX caliper on this forum or on you tube that I could find so here is one I made for the rear caliper. The process is the same for the front calipers except that you'll need to keep one piston pressed against the boot with a piston compression clamp or tool so an air tight seal is formed while you work on the other piston. Once you get the piston installed move the clamp to that piston so it's held in place while you work on the other one. I would also recommend that you use some approximately 1/4" thick material to take up some of the space between the piston you are working on and the caliper. This will save your fingers and puts the piston in good position for the boot to pop over the bottom of the piston. Also, avoid putting any grease on the inner lip of the boot or the groove in the caliper that the boot rests since the grease may a allow the boot to pop out of it's groove when you apply air pressure. However, make sure to apply silicone grease to the piston, boot, caliper seal and inside the caliper piston bore.

Install the bleeder fitting.
Use only light air pressure. If you have a regulator turn it down, and if not use a inline valve to reduce the flow of air.
Place the caliper in a clamp.
With your fingers place pressure against the boot with the piston so a air tight seal is placed.
Apply air via the brake line port.
The piston will rise and press against the spacer as the boot inflates.
It may take a little moving the piston to to get the boot to rise up and over the piston.
After you set the boot over the piston make sure that the inner portion of the boot is still set in the caliper and did not pop out.

Last edited:
Do you think you can put the seal on the piston first, then insert and tap the seal into the caliper?

I have done this in the past, never tried the air, but I did not recall having a hard time with it.

Just a thought:)

Regards,
LarryB

Do you think you can put the seal on the piston first, then insert and tap the seal into the caliper?

I have done this in the past, never tried the air, but I did not recall having a hard time with it.

Just a thought:)

Regards,
LarryB

Hi Larry, I was considering that method, but I already lost one boot to a tear and I was afraid that trying to push another seal in using that method would result in loosing another seal. Using air worked great, but you do need a source of air.

Joe

Back