• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Koni shock installation - parts needed?

Hi All. I recently picked up my NSX and have been enjoying it up to now. I'm looking for some help with a problem I am having with installing some shocks and springs.

I recently bought some used Koni shocks from a Prime member. At the time we were discussing the sale I asked a couple of times if all the parts were included for mounting them on the car. He indicated that they came off his car and that I would just have to reuse my old top mounts. I went to get them installed the other day and the shop asked if everything was there and I said yes. So they started to mount them and sure enough, I'm missing parts - specifically what looks like a top washer and short tube that goes over the pin. Our best guess is that those parts are still on the sellers car... so I paid them for the removal and reinstallation of the oem parts and here's where I am stuck. I called and emailed the seller for help but haven't heard back from him (...I hope he is just on vacation...)

Anybody know if those parts are available for sale separately or where else I can look to get them? I contacted Koni and they said they don't stock those parts. I asked around some other shops and they also didn't think I would be able to get them.

The way it is looking right now is I have just paid for a rather expensive lesson on suspension parts and knowing what to look for when buying used parts...or some really nice table legs as a buddy of mine put it.

Any other advice or suggestions are welcome (other than I am an idiot for buying them...as I am fully aware of that fact).

Thanks.

Well, I'd question your mechanic or the previous owner of your car before the seller of the shocks in this case at least.

The stock shocks should have those sleeves and washers on them. I had to re-use the same pieces when I was installing some coil-overs. Unfortunately, in my case the sleeves were corroded to the stock shock rod, so I had to replace them.

Both the sleeves and washers are available separately if yours are the same way.

Washer:
Front: 51621-SR0-003 WASHER, SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING (S&Z.ATLANTIC)
Rear: 51621-SD4-004 WASHER, SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING (SHOWA)

Sleeves: F&R: 51728-SR0-003 COLLAR, SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING (DUFFY STEEL PARTS)

[edit] diagram from acuraautomotiveparts #s 1 & 8 are what I think you're talking about. The sleeves slide down in the rubber bushings on either side of the upper mount. the washer would sit on top of the upper one.[/edit]
13sl001_b30.png

Last edited:
well, i'd question your mechanic or the previous owner of your car before the seller of the shocks in this case at least.

The stock shocks should have those sleeves and washers on them. I had to re-use the same pieces when i was installing some coil-overs. Unfortunately, in my case the sleeves were corroded to the stock shock rod, so i had to replace them.

Both the sleeves and washers are available separately if yours are the same way.

Washer:
Front: 51621-sr0-003 washer, shock absorber mounting (s&z.atlantic)
rear: 51621-sd4-004 washer, shock absorber mounting (showa)

sleeves: F&r: 51728-sr0-003 collar, shock absorber mounting (duffy steel parts)

+1..

Thanks for the info. Looks like Part 8 and Part 1 are what I am missing for the Konis. The stock ones do have those parts. When we took those parts off the OEM top mount they didn't fit over the threaded part of the Konis. Were those parts different sizes for different production years maybe?

I saw an install diagram (I think it was from Comptech) that showed that those two parts need to be replaced (hopefully it is attached). Full link is here: http://www.sportcompactonly.com/manuals/Brand/Comptech/ins046.pdf It looks to be an older document, but it seems to match the oem diagram that was provided.

Well, I'd question your mechanic or the previous owner of your car before the seller of the shocks in this case at least.

The stock shocks should have those sleeves and washers on them. I had to re-use the same pieces when I was installing some coil-overs. Unfortunately, in my case the sleeves were corroded to the stock shock rod, so I had to replace them.

Washer:
Front: 51621-SR0-003 WASHER, SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING (S&Z.ATLANTIC)
Rear: 51621-SD4-004 WASHER, SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING (SHOWA)

Sleeves: F&R: 51728-SR0-003 COLLAR, SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING (DUFFY STEEL PARTS)

[edit] diagram from acuraautomotiveparts #s 1 & 8 are what I think you're talking about. The sleeves slide down in the rubber bushings on either side of the upper mount. the washer would sit on top of the upper one.[/edit]
13sl001_b30.png

Attachments

• shock_parts.jpg
    shock_parts.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 178
Thank you for the site. I will have to add that to my growing list of NSX related bookmarks.

I measured the visible threaded portion of the 4 OEM shock pins - they measure approx. 9.7mm. I measured the threaded portion of the Koni shock pin and they measure approx. 12.5mm. Does that seem like the right measurement for the OEM shock pin?

I also verified that the Koni part numbers are the shocks for the NSX that everybody lists here on Prime.

Thanks

Since you are from Canada, here is a link from a Canadian company that sells a shock mounting kit:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList...s_and_Struts/Shock_Mounting_Kit/pagenum1/tabS

These are replacement parts for the OEM bushings and washers. Nice to have new rubber when installing shocks. I'm puzzled why the parts from your car didn't fit. Do you have stock suspension?

Back