• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mishimoto vs. Koyo radiators

30% cooling what? Efficiency, or capacity?

Capacity just means it is holding 30% more coolant/water than the OEM radiator. Which can help a little, since the vehicle has more liquid to heat up.

However, IMO Koyo is a waste of money since they are overpriced with a next to nothing warranty. They only warranty the radiator up until the first heat cycle, after that, you are screwed. Check out there policy listing for the racing radiators here. They have a pretty long list of ways a radiator can fail which voids the warranty as well.

Mishimoto gives you a lifetime warranty with accident protection. /story

I have tried mishimoto and Koyo in the past on a 2.0L turbo Nissan 200sx. Same car, same mods.The mishimoto unit overheat the engine on track, Koyo don't.

most track guys who upgrade don't use iether of these:wink: The stock radiator has never let me down and although the fins are all bent to hell my temp gauge has been rock steady at the track.....

check ebay... they are pretty much same price, and i would go for KOYO!
who care what others say, its only $375 for a full aluminum rad, its worth it!! do it!!
mishimotos are not worth the money if u have them side by side to compare, the koyo welds are much better!

You're more than welcome to take a look at my Ron Davis, Tom. iIRC, there was a Driving Ambition radiator for sale in the Marketplace. Those two would be my choice instead of the ones you're presently evaluating. Of course, the two I mention are at different price points.

You're more than welcome to take a look at my Ron Davis, Tom. iIRC, there was a Driving Ambition radiator for sale in the Marketplace. Those two would be my choice instead of the ones you're presently evaluating. Of course, the two I mention are at different price points.

That they are. :redface:

I bought the Racing Ambition radiatior. Any idea of who actually makes it, or is it an in-house job?

Do you mean driving ambition? if so I thought he used ron davis

The two cheap ones are just low cost replacements, I doubt they have much more cooling ability - and I would love to see them in 20 years...

Don't get me wrong, I have one too - I just don't expect more cooling (which isn't needed anyway).

I have tried mishimoto and Koyo in the past on a 2.0L turbo Nissan 200sx. Same car, same mods.The mishimoto unit overheat the engine on track, Koyo don't.

Interesting.

With the FD I ran the Koyo Dual flow and the car ran cooler with the same thermostat. Anyone noticed that? My FD was making 380HP/liter on pump.

And with the Koyo the temp needle hardly moved.

koyo only made a 38mm radiator for the NSX, which is a "little" better then OEM
but with the S2000, they made a 52mm which improves alot! so yea...the koyo is good enough for me, the reason i changed to the koyo is my OEM one is almost 20 years old and the oem plastic might crack over time...so if u are doing the 23 coolant hoses, just spend another $375 and $100 for the koyo rad and a mugen thermostat, it will be a very good winter project!

and u could always step up to the big boys ron davis, or the driving ambition one when u feel the needs later on (when u SC or Turbo). so far i am very happy!

koyo only made a 38mm radiator for the NSX, which is a "little" better then OEM
but with the S2000, they made a 52mm which improves alot! so yea...the koyo is good enough for me, the reason i changed to the koyo is my OEM one is almost 20 years old and the oem plastic might crack over time...so if u are doing the 23 coolant hoses, just spend another $375 and $100 for the koyo rad and a mugen thermostat, it will be a very good winter project!

and u could always step up to the big boys ron davis, or the driving ambition one when u feel the needs later on (when u SC or Turbo). so far i am very happy!

What kind of a difference does the cooler thermostat make?

What kind of a difference does the cooler thermostat make?

From my experience it makes cars feel more like it was almost as powerful as first thing in the morning when the car just barely warmed up but hasn't heat soaked.

For forced induction cars that could be the difference between detonation and not.

From my experience it makes cars feel more like it was almost as powerful as first thing in the morning when the car just barely warmed up but hasn't heat soaked.

For forced induction cars that could be the difference between detonation and not.
How well does the heater work? I've heard that can be a problem with those.

We have installed both. The Koyo fits properly, and Mishimoto does not. I have seen on other vendors websites advertise that the Mishimoto radiator installs with out modification, however, this is not true. The radiator pin locations and offset of the radiator are wrong as well as the end tanks do not fit properly. We've also seen the cores bent and distorted. The welding and fabrication quality is much better with the Koyo. For the slight extra cost, the Koyo is by far a better product and in my opinion, well worth it. We've installed three in the past month, and each fit perfectly.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Koyo/radiator/

regards,
-- Chris

I installed Mishimoto on my NSX and on friend's nsx , and no problem.
During 1hour on track I don't have a issue with this radiator, I have 600hp, and a oil cooler.

when you say no problem ,do you mean there was no modification needed?

Chris is right. The Mishimoto Radiator requires some cutting and alteration. I actually had one of each since I bought a used one. That is the major difference is the Koyo just drops right in where the Mishimoto needs some alteration. I didn't have digital gauges before where I could read exact temps on my water but now I do so I can tell you my car runs between 175-194 at the highest with AC on in 105 degree weather. If the AC is off it doesn't get beyond 185 usually.

We have installed both. The Koyo fits properly, and Mishimoto does not. I have seen on other vendors websites advertise that the Mishimoto radiator installs with out modification, however, this is not true. The radiator pin locations and offset of the radiator are wrong as well as the end tanks do not fit properly. We've also seen the cores bent and distorted. The welding and fabrication quality is much better with the Koyo. For the slight extra cost, the Koyo is by far a better product and in my opinion, well worth it. We've installed three in the past month, and each fit perfectly.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Koyo/radiator/

regards,
-- Chris

I just bought the Koyorad about to install it .My main question? Is this a 3 row radiator or less it looks pretty slim.

Back