• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX modified- Who else got left hanging? Well, here's one....

My only experience with Larry at NSX Modified is that he had installed my H&R Springs. Other than his shop as a meeting point for our monthly meetings and meeting other NSX owners.

Tan

?

And Larry's first name has 5 characters too.

;)

-J

one big screwup from a shop pretty much does it for me....i'm not sure why many still fall into the "he has done great work for me before" trick.

from a logical perspective, only one false is needed to prove false as a whole.....

Incredible how this saga ended up like this.

Just to think that I even contemplated making the drive down to SoCal to investigate his turbo kit...

OK- my turn to chime in. I was one of those loyal main NSX Modified customers and supporters. I have one of Larry's "Flagship" cars, which has made an appearance in Turbo Mag., and has almost every major modification and dress up done to it- including from him a totally built engine that SHOULD easily withstand the 150shot it's running.

I've had the car almost a year and have had some overheating problems which have come at the worst times, once at Willow Springs, and the other at the local autox. The problems were recurring and Larry kept changing out hoses saying they were leaking and causing the problem, when I should of know it was a most likely only a thermostat, the car was pegged to the red which most likely caused a blown head gasket(hopefully this is all) which the car is in the shop for right now. I feel he should of known this long before I made the countless trips to his shop, most of the time ended up hanging out since he didnt get to my car till late, and I did not want to hang around. Most of these times I saw Danny there for the course of his turbo saga.

I lost a deal selling a Dali coolant bottle that he was going to repolish, but I never got back, also lost some $$ on two coolant hoses and some cat bypass pipes that he had waiting for me.

I am also in a bad situation with a bad #4 cylinder which was the first dianosis, I AM WISHING that nothing else is wrong. ONce they pull the motor :(

I am not in the situation that Danny is which I wish him the best of luck with getting this resolved. All I want now is a good running car that's it. For those wondering , it's at Autowave in Socal. and so far they have great and professional.

If this shop reopens it has by far lost most likely too much respect in our community to even try and make it. At least thats the way I see it. So I'm hoping for a good turn out aswell.

NSXGeek! said:
Sorry to hear this :( There is an excellent alternative (NSX shop, dyno, excellent techs, etc.) right down the road, check it out:

http://www.autowaveinc.com/index2.htm

I used Autowave back in september when i picked up my nsx before driving it back to St. Louis. Very helpful and friendly bunch. I actually used them as a second choice when Larry didnt show, and i had to have my car ready for the road that day.

Randy

If I had one of Larry's turbos I would seriously consider taking that thing off my car. From the looks of it you would be MUCH better off over the long run without it IMO.

Also - as I think about all the problems Doug's racing NSX reported through the years on www.pulpracing.com it makes you wonder how many of the problems where sloppy service and not bad luck. No way to ever know. I was taught pretty early on when I started programming to always make your workplace and your code as neat and well documented as possible. That way if there is a problem with a customer they will think it was an honest mistake and not an overall problem with a sloppy worker.

YMMV.

12 12

Fact: Turbo gone, $850 deposit for motor rebuilt gone, not even a phone call to come pick up my car (never), rob Peter to pay Paul (my right door speaker gone after leaving car for initial turbo install).

As a far as the comment checking reference who knows **** happen, hard lesson. Turbo install out my league hence Nsx M. As far as other service on any automobile I can do it in my sleep.

Matteni, 5inchflap does not have turbo, He has 150 shot nos only.

Danny

It's horrible to hear all of this has happened to so many club members. Since I sold my NSX last year, I have not been in touch with the shop as there hasn't been a need. I was completely out of the loop until a fellow member told me what had happened during a recent meet. Fortunately for me, I had never had anything but first class service from him and was not put in such horrible situations. In fact, he had helped me out so many times I was even putting together a small site for him (which never materialized as he never provided content).

Although I am not affiliated with them in any way, I feel a small level of responsibility having recommended the shop to many in the past. I want to apologize to anyone who may have used NSXM per any of my recommendations and been used or taken losses in the process. I realize I am just one of many who may have recommended the shop due to the service they received, but the least I can do is take responsibility for my misjudge of character and apologize to the community.

It's strange how a shop so important to the community (recall that monthly chapter meetings were held there) could turn out to damage so many members. I'm still in disbelief, but I was always more of the gullible type. :eek:

Hey 5inchfatlip,

Now, I know that I'm new to the board, but I've been shopping for an NSX, so I thought I'd research online. This site came highly recommend'd by the guys @ www.S2Ki.com. I work around the corner from AutoWave & I just stopped by this morning on my way in to work, so I could ask some questions & I saw them working on your car, which, BTW, is gorgeous. Now, I have no point-of-reference when it comes to the whole NSX Modified situ. as I have had no experience w/ them, however, I did hear the techs at the shop talking about some of the shoddy work that had been done to your engine. From what I could gather, it appears he was using a silicon sealant to try & stop some leaks you may have had & I believe there were some other pieces that were siliconed in place instead of fixing them properly (just what I heard, by no means is that meant to be any sort of diagnosis).
As a prospective NSX'er, I am concerned about these kinds of deceptive business practices, and am, consequently, thrilled by this community's honest, straight-forward, & unbiased nature in dealing w/ them. My initial reasoning behind choosing the NSX as my next car was what I believe was most people's -- I drove one. But, now that I've found this community, I know I've truly made the right decision. I wish nothing but the best for all of you having difficulties due to this situation & hope things will work themselves out. If there's ever anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask, because you guys have already given me more education & help than I could ever put into words.

Thanks for letting me rant for a few mins........

Adam