• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transmission Cooler?

Anyone fit a transmission cooler to their NSX to help keep the oil temps in check while tracking?

If you have, pictures and details of your setup would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Anyone fit a transmission cooler to their NSX to help keep the oil temps in check while tracking?

If you have, pictures and details of your setup would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

For a manual or auto trans?
Another good question would be has anyone measured transmission oil temperatures while tracking?

For a manual or auto trans?
Another good question would be has anyone measured transmission oil temperatures while tracking?
Manual transmission (auto's already have a cooler in the radiator).

Brian

I have been tracking 3 different manual trans NSX's for a long time, NA, CTSC, and Twin Turbo. If you are doing HPDE or Time Trials and you are running 15-25 min run groups I really see no reason to add any additional cooling for the trans other than maybe adding some more airflow around the trans and CV joints closest to the trans. If you start doing longer endurance type track events you may need to do something more involved. The thing you need to do is to rebuild the half shafts with HiTemp grease not the stuff Honda puts in the OEM rebuild kits but something like RedLine CV-2 or similar grease. The most common failure to the halfshafts is bearing failure from hi heat thinning the crappy grease in the OEM halfshafts. Rebuild them now before they fail and save yourself a but load of money. You can rebuild damaged shafts but the best joints and bearings are still the OEM ones and Honda is stupid proud of the joints.

The heat in the half shafts increases as speeds increase, so if you run a lot of high speed tracks do it sooner than later.

Dave

+1 on Dave's info.

FYI, KSP in Japan makes transmission coolers
p1.jpg

Attachments

• 0100020000012.jpg
    0100020000012.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I have been tracking 3 different manual trans NSX's for a long time, NA, CTSC, and Twin Turbo. If you are doing HPDE or Time Trials and you are running 15-25 min run groups I really see no reason to add any additional cooling for the trans other than maybe adding some more airflow around the trans and CV joints closest to the trans. If you start doing longer endurance type track events you may need to do something more involved. The thing you need to do is to rebuild the half shafts with HiTemp grease not the stuff Honda puts in the OEM rebuild kits but something like RedLine CV-2 or similar grease. The most common failure to the halfshafts is bearing failure from hi heat thinning the crappy grease in the OEM halfshafts. Rebuild them now before they fail and save yourself a but load of money. You can rebuild damaged shafts but the best joints and bearings are still the OEM ones and Honda is stupid proud of the joints.

The heat in the half shafts increases as speeds increase, so if you run a lot of high speed tracks do it sooner than later.

Dave

Dave can you elaborate on how to "rebuild them now" and what to use for grease?

Dave can you elaborate on how to "rebuild them now" and what to use for grease?

Re-read my post for the grease type, anyshop that can do CV repair can rebuild them or if you like to get your hands dirty order the grease and the OEM CV boot kits from Acura and do them yourself. They are easy but messy. I find it easier with another set of hands and you will need a specialty tool to hold the metal strap before you lock it in place. The step by step instructions are in the service manual. It is the same for all years.

Dave

What exactly is a "rebuild"? My car is a 05 with 20K miles. Can I just get the redline grease and new boots? Is that what we call a rebuild? Or are we actually changing parts?

You would essentially be changing out the low temp grease for the hi temp grease. The boots could be reused but the bands securing the boots will have to be replaced.

Also just a side note. An 05 is still going to be 9 to 10 years old depending on its in service date. I have an 04 and in the NSX world it sounds new but its not. You are in the heart of all the time required services.

Dave

Back