• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine light after clutch change. ???

Hello All, Question for the masses.
I just had a New clutch installed in my car.
Now my check engine light is on , I have checked the O2 sensors they all have the correct wires on the none of them are clipped. I am just wondering if there is
anything else that could have happened when
he replaced the clutch?
Perplexed but learning more and more each day.
Regards
Len

If for some reason they removed the o2 sensor, it could of been damaged if they got WD-40 on the sensor tip. You should have them pull the trouble code or you can do it yourself to see what is wrong: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm

Originally posted by len3.8:
Hello All, Question for the masses.
I just had a New clutch installed in my car.
Now my check engine light is on , I have checked the O2 sensors they all have the correct wires on the none of them are clipped. I am just wondering if there is
anything else that could have happened when
he replaced the clutch?
Perplexed but learning more and more each day.
Regards
Len

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
If for some reason they removed the o2 sensor, it could of been damaged if they got WD-40 on the sensor tip. You should have them pull the trouble code or you can do it yourself to see what is wrong: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm

I did as the instructions on this page has suggested, When I turned the key on there was a brief pause then the check
engine light flashed once/ There was what seemed to be a loud click at the same time. (It sounded like a switch opening and closing) Is that what happens when it flashes? The check engine light was the only one to go off and come back on.It did this and did not flash anymore.
Did I do it right? I made sur the jumper (paper clip) was making contact.

Thanks

Leonard

Okay, It has been determined that my Front
O2 sensor is bad, My car failed emmisions due
to the car running rich, Which the front O2 sensor my be the culprit, just being dorment wouldn't that cause the fuel management to dump more than normal amounts of fuel, which would give me a failed due to too much fuel/richness? Now my car has the CTSC so if
I understand things correctly, It should run rich anyway, correct? Also the dealer is telling me that when they fix this that there
could be something else that is causing the car to run lean. Now isn't there a way to adjust the mixture to fix this when I get the
emmisions check? I mean the trouble code said
bad O2 sensor (the front one) So if I am clear on things wouldn't this be the cause of
my problems with the fuel?
Also the dealer wants $365 to change the O2
sensor,Which they say may fix my problem.
I am not sure thay didn't cause the problem
when the RNR'd my clutch. I did not get the
check engine light until shortly after they
finished with my clutch. I drove about 80 miles and then I got the check engine light.
I know that it is possible for it to be a
coincedence, I am just frustrated.
Should I just order a O2 sensor and do it myself? Should I use the Acura sensor or a generic in my application? (Bosch)
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Len

Okay, It has been determined that my Front
O2 sensor is bad, My car failed emmisions due
to the car running rich, Which the front O2 sensor my be the culprit, just being dorment wouldn't that cause the fuel management to dump more than normal amounts of fuel, which would give me a failed due to too much fuel/richness? Now my car has the CTSC so if
I understand things correctly, It should run rich anyway, correct? Also the dealer is telling me that when they fix this that there
could be something else that is causing the car to run lean. Now isn't there a way to adjust the mixture to fix this when I get the
emmisions check? I mean the trouble code said
bad O2 sensor (the front one) So if I am clear on things wouldn't this be the cause of
my problems with the fuel?
Also the dealer wants $365 to change the O2
sensor,Which they say may fix my problem.
I am not sure thay didn't cause the problem
when the RNR'd my clutch. I did not get the
check engine light until shortly after they
finished with my clutch. I drove about 80 miles and then I got the check engine light.
I know that it is possible for it to be a
coincedence, I am just frustrated.
Should I just order a O2 sensor and do it myself? Should I use the Acura sensor or a generic in my application? (Bosch)
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Len

------------------

Hi Len!

So sorry to hear about your o2 sensor. I have dont this 2wice with hand tools and a floor jack and it is a real bitch. I can do it now in about 4 hours but if you don't have an impact wrench, all the tools, etc - it can be a real nightmare. IMO it is worth what they are quoting you as they quoted me 600 in labor 4 years ago to do front and rear headers (front is much harder).

What sucks is it will take Steve M. about an hour (including his smoke brake) but that's the deal.

I think it would be hard to prove they broke it - allthough it does seem that yours went quick. I wonder if the boost puts a lot of stress on everything including the O2 sensor but that is my opinion. I would stick with the Honda one IMO. Mine are 11 years old and still work great.

I would bet (90% sure) that will clear it up. If it is not that - you may have a bad FMU on the super or need some serious CompTech super help as I doubt it is the stock ECU sending bad signals. Could be anywhere in the fuel delivery too (fuel filter, injectors, regulator, etc.) They can also check the plugs and ignition coils too.

Good luck - let's hope it's the sensor and that is it...

Originally posted by matteni:
Hi Len!

So sorry to hear about your o2 sensor. I have dont this 2wice with hand tools and a floor jack and it is a real bitch. I can do it now in about 4 hours but if you don't have an impact wrench, all the tools, etc - it can be a real nightmare. IMO it is worth what they are quoting you as they quoted me 600 in labor 4 years ago to do front and rear headers (front is much harder).

What sucks is it will take Steve M. about an hour (including his smoke brake) but that's the deal.

I think it would be hard to prove they broke it - allthough it does seem that yours went quick. I wonder if the boost puts a lot of stress on everything including the O2 sensor but that is my opinion. I would stick with the Honda one IMO. Mine are 11 years old and still work great.

I would bet (90% sure) that will clear it up. If it is not that - you may have a bad FMU on the super or need some serious CompTech super help as I doubt it is the stock ECU sending bad signals. Could be anywhere in the fuel delivery too (fuel filter, injectors, regulator, etc.) They can also check the plugs and ignition coils too.

Good luck - let's hope it's the sensor and that is it...

I checked prices on the O2 sensor. Anywhere
from $150-$210 so I guess they are getting about 1 3/4hr labor or so.
You are right proof is hard to do, especially when it's in their hands. I have
no time to do it so I will have to let them do it. I ordered the Acura/Honda sensor instead of the Generic. I have the emmissions test from the previous owner and
it passed with flying colors then. I am hoping that it is the O2 sensor.
Clutch in 4k miles, O2 sensor ???? , Hell I
hope that's it for awhile.
If I have to rely on the 2 places in Cali that we both know I am talking about, I am screwed. One will not answer the damn phone, the other will not answer any questions, guarding the
sacred secrets. Well we will see in a couple of more days or so. Hell they have had my car more than I have. I am starting to wonder, the Law of Diminished Marginal Utilities is hard at work here.
I will suck it up.
Thanks Nick
Looking forward to next weekend, We have a sitter for the second time in 4 years.

I bet it's the Super - let's do a test. We will put it on my car for a year and see if I have any problems - OK? <VBG>

Just "growing pains" and I am sure your car will provide MANY happy returns once you get the gremlins out.

BTW - your car is one of my favorates. I will come over for free, day or night, just to wax that thing! Looking forward to seeing it next weekend and don't care if you have to push it or tow it - just bring it for the rest of us to drool on!

Remember - this too shall pass!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by sjs:
Hey Len, was that you I saw about ten days ago east bound on Olive just west of 170 around noon?

Could have been, I picked my car up from St. Louis Acura on Friday, I have a buddy in Clayton that I dropped in on so I was definately in the area. On Friday. Saturday I was hanging out with Tony and his nice and clean white car. He made me stay for the Bikini contest. Did you get a good look at the car?
If it had Georgia plates it was me, seeing that I can't get the damn thing to pass emissions, sorry flashback.:^)
If the car was a stock car as far as looks it
was not me.
Are you going to be there next weekend?

I was returning from lunch in the back of a minivan and just caught a glimpse of it after it passed going the other way. Someone saw it and suggested mine had just been stolen, so they got my attention. We got back and mine was still there.

I do plan to attend next weekend. See you then.

I was returning from lunch in the back of a minivan and just caught a glimpse of it after it passed going the other way. Someone saw it and suggested mine had just been stolen, so they got my attention. We got back and mine was still there.

I do plan to attend next weekend. See you then.

HMMM, Where do you work? I do need a O2 sensor and a Tow hook cover.

Nick wrote:
I bet it's the Super - let's do a test. We will put it on my car for a year and see if I have any problems - OK?

Sorry my brother you gots to get your own.:^)
I would be happy to help you BREAK it in though. Hell I bought the SC just to keep up with you. If you get one then I am screwed again.

I can't wait to pick you guys brains about the NSX that I get free storage for at St. Louis Acura, I said free I meant premium.
I wont start.
Len

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 18 August 2002).]

Won't find one on my car.
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 19 August 2002).]

Did you just get rid of yours?
Did you change your whole front bumper cap?
Send some pics of your car.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 19 August 2002).]

If you drove your car for 80 miles after the clutch repair BEFORE the O2 sensor failed then I doubt it had anything to do with the clutch job.

Back