• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with pricing this NSX

I'm looking at a 92 red NSX. It has 142k on it. The car has been in an accident where the quarter panel was replaced. Also the car has 2 odometer discrepancy.

Seller is asking 16k OBO. I think thats kinda high no? My friend brought a clean title 91 with 129k on it for 13.5k

Any input would be nice. This would be my 1st NSX, and I don't want to rush into anything and regret anything late down the road.

Thanks

Last edited:
Your friend got a screaming good deal, depending upon the car's condition and maintenance. $16K does not sound high to me, it sounds low, but I have not seen the car, nor do I have any details about the odometer "discrepancy".

My car has had a panel replaced and has 152K miles. I shudder to think that it may only be worth $16K. :eek:

Last edited:
Really? edmunds.com priced this car at 10k for a private party and 12k for a dealer.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1992/acura/nsx/18185/options.html?tmvaction=vdpresult

History Report

30,360 01/20/1997
16,958 01/29/1997 Possible Odometer Rollback/Rollover
30,520 02/07/1997
30,520 02/08/1997
45,561 07/15/1998
45,710 07/21/1998
47,012 08/25/1998
76,827 01/02/2003
80,610 08/22/2003
80,918 09/23/2003
81,121 09/30/2003
83,331 08/09/2004
89,340 08/21/2004
83,500 10/13/2004 Possible Odometer Rollback/Rollover
91,102 11/29/2004
129,987 10/07/2008

you're friend got a screaming deal. If he really paid $13k then he stole that car.

I don't think you could find a salvage title NSX for $16k.

As long as there aren't any MAJOR mechanical problems, I would jump all over that. Hell, I would gut it and make it into a track car. :biggrin:

And those Odometer problems look a lot more like clerical errors than a rollback.

Last edited:
Yes he got it for $13.5k

I'm looking for a weekend car, something to take to meets and what not.

Seller says everything works fine.

Something that I have seen is that the older NSX (91-93) aren't going for that much these days. A guy from Houston sold a 93 white one for $15k. There was one with like 265k that sold for $12k. I also saw a running 92 that was missing a door and hood go for $8k.

Last edited:
you're friend got a screaming deal. If he really paid $13k then he stole that car.

I don't think you could find a salvage title NSX for $16k.

As long as there aren't any MAJOR mechanical problems, I would jump all over that. Hell, I would gut it and make it into a track car. :biggrin:

And those Odometer problems look a lot more like clerical errors than a rollback.

+1

Do not rely on Edmunds for pricing an NSX. It is so rare that the data just isn't there for reliable pricing. Based on the market here on Prime and Autotrader, a rough, high miles 91-92 with no stories but also no maintenence history is between $19k and $22k. Closer to 19 or 20 in this economy and 21 or 22 when times are better. Bottom line, if the car is legit then you got a smokin' good deal!

^^^
I don't know, they seem to be going for alot cheaper than that (91-93).

I guess a better question would be is... Are the prices on the NSXs going up, down or just flat lining :confused:

Something that I have seen is that the older NSX (91-93) aren't going for that much these days.

Funny how the low mile 91's with documentation are still selling in the $30-$32K range :biggrin:

Funny how the low mile 91's with documentation are still selling in the $30-$32K range :biggrin:

Honestly, I think some people just over pay. But some of them take like months to a year sale. Theres always good deals out there. Just wait and don't rush it into.

One of my consumers came in yesterday and asked if I'm selling my Supra. I told him no but maybe my RX7 because I'm looking to buy a NSX. He told me his son bought a clean 91, 5speed, black from carmax last year for 10k.

I hope I'm not making anyone mad; if so, sorry, not my intent at all.

Last edited:
I have been reading your post and you have asked for help and people have been trying to help and then you come back and state that some of us overpay. What I think you don't understand is some of us intend to keep our NSXs and will pay a premium to get the NSX that has been properly cared for. If you want to pay 10-15k for a beat up NSX that has not been maintained for properly or has a salvage record then that is fine but please do not group those NSXs with ones that have been cared for.

I can buy a 93 supra for 10k that is beat to hell but to some people it may be a clean example so it's the eye of the beholder but I would not even try and buy a supra if all I had was a 10-15k due to the headaches that would follow. I hope this comparison helps, expect to pay the same price for a clean Supra as you would a clean NSX. I wouldn't go on Supraforums and talk about them overpaying for properly cared for supras.

I have been reading your post and you have asked for help and people have been trying to help and then you come back and state that some of us overpay. What I think you don't understand is some of us intend to keep our NSXs and will pay a premium to get the NSX that has been properly cared for. If you want to pay 10-15k for a beat up NSX that has not been maintained for properly or has a salvage record then that is fine but please do not group those NSXs with ones that have been cared for.

I can buy a 93 supra for 10k that is beat to hell but to some people it may be a clean example so it's the eye of the beholder but I would not even try and buy a supra if all I had was a 10-15k due to the headaches that would follow. I hope this comparison helps, expect to pay the same price for a clean Supra as you would a clean NSX. I wouldn't go on Supraforums and talk about them overpaying for properly cared for supras.

Did I ever said "members of NSXprime overpay" :rolleyes:

I plan on keeping whatever NSX I end up with. However, like a smart buyer I'm going to wait for a good deal.

The one I'm looking at has a clean title. And all the ones that I used as an example had clean title or so the sellers/buyers said.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I already stated "I hope I'm not making anyone mad; if so, sorry, not my intent at all."

Last edited:

I plan on keeping whatever NSX I end up with. However, like a smart buyer I'm going to wait for a good deal.

The one I'm looking at has a clean title. And all the ones that I used as an example had clean title or so the sellers/buyers said.

"Honestly, I think some people just over pay. But some of them take like months to a year sale. Theres always good deals out there. Just wait and don't rush it into."

Please keep looking for that good deal 15k NSX with odometer issues, original timing belt, bad clutch and replaced body panels and body work. When you could pick up a good condition 91-92 that has been maintained for with records 22-25k. Please just understand that some of us pay a bit more for the sake of not wanting to inherit someone else's problems and do not assume that we over pay because I would love to have purchased my NSX for 15k.

"Honestly, I think some people just over pay. But some of them take like months to a year sale. Theres always good deals out there. Just wait and don't rush it into."

Please keep looking for that good deal 15k NSX with odometer issues, original timing belt, bad clutch and replaced body panels and body work. When you could pick up a good condition 91-92 that has been maintained for with records 22-25k. Please just understand that some of us pay a bit more for the sake of not wanting to inherit someone else's problems and do not assume that we over pay because I would love to have purchased my NSX for 15k.

So "some people" = members of prime :confused:

Just because its a low priced NSX doesn't mean its salvage.

My buddy that brought the 91 for 13.5k has no issues with his.

There have been salvage title NSXs listed in the 20k+ range.

Last edited:
So "some people" = members of prime :confused:

most buyers and sellers are prime members, just look at the perspective NSX forum postings and look at where most of the NSXs on the road are changed hand in or where owners end up at. They end up here on prime, some post and some just browse here on prime.

Also if you really want us to help you with the pricing please include pictures and service records so that we can be of help.

most buyers and sellers are prime members, just look at the perspective NSX forum postings and look at where most of the NSXs on the road are changed hand in or where owners end up at. They end up here on prime, some post and some just browse here on prime.

Also if you really want us to help you with the pricing please include pictures and service records so that we can be of help.

When I said "some people over pay" that was meant for like the rich guys where money is no issue to them. Like they'll buy it no matter what.

I'll see if the seller will get me some.

Honestly, I think some people just over pay. But some of them take like months to a year sale. Theres always good deals out there. Just wait and don't rush it into.

One of my consumers came in yesterday and asked if I'm selling my Supra. I told him no but maybe my RX7 because I'm looking to buy a NSX. He told me his son bought a clean 91, 5speed, black from carmax last year for 10k.

While I think you are somewhat correct and there are sub-$20k legit NSX's out there, I went down the same road as you and ended up spending a bit more for a no-stories car. I thought I could find a clean title 91 with high miles and in need of some freshening for $15k-$20k. Bottom line is that after a year spent looking, the cars I found were in such rough shape that it would take at least $5k-$10k to get them back to good running shape. Consider this- I ended up buying a 91 with 79k miles and full maintenence records for $22,800 and I STILL had to spend about $5000 to address all of the little issues that come with a 20-year old car.

The problem I see with your pricing is that NSX's can be and have been wrecked and rebuilt with "washed" titles. There are several cars here on Prime that have been identified as total wrecks that were rebuilt, issued "clean" titles and sold as if no accident had occurred. These are usually the cars you see listed for $15k-$20k. Often, the cars appear to be totally fine cosmetically, but you never really know what you are buying at that price. There was one recent NSX that was very disturbing example. Prime had a record and photos of this car being a total loss (it looked like a crushed beer can), yet months later the same car appeared for sale online looking normal, with a clean title and a simple mention of a "minor accident" or something like that. It is just one example, but the folks here know how the game is played.

Listen, I know the $15k NSX is such a tempting idea. It was for me. But, these cars are so expensive to repair and do you really want to take that risk? What if it was wrecked and has frame damage? What if it was under water for a day and all the electric stuff is corroded? At that price, either it's a one in a million killer deal or it is much more likely a rebuilt wrecker with a washed title.

We just don't want to see people get ripped off or played thinking they got a deal when in reality they just bought a time bomb waiting to go off. Your prospective NSX has two odometer issues in its life and is $16,000. That's a red flag and if I were you, I'd steer clear.

pricing and buying an nsx has not changed very much since i began following them some 5 years ago.

your NA1 coupes (91-94) will will be priced between 20k and 30k, depending on mileage, condition, accident history, service records, etc.

your NA1 'targa' tops (95-96) will be priced with around a 5k premium above the NA1 coupes.

your NA2 'targa' tops (97-2001) will be priced between 35k and 45k, depending on mileage, condition, accident history, service records, etc.

your NA2 'targa' tops (2002-2005) will be priced between 50k and above, depending on the same conditions.

prices for automatic nsxs any year have been around 3-5k less than their manual counterparts.

prices for the rare cars such as NA2 coupes, 99 Zanardis, etc still fetch very high prices, roughly 5-10k premium over their counterparts. With so few examples, the sellers really can charge whatever they want, and there will almost always be people willing to spend that extra amount to get these rare items.

with the economy the way it is now, prices have begun to slide slightly by at most 2-3k.

for 15K, you will be getting a very high mileage nsx with little to no service history, most likely deferred maintenance, salvage/accident history (whether it is reported in the title or not), and generally needing roughly the price difference between it and a good condition vehicle to bring it back up to par. At that time, the money you put into the car will bring it up to higher standards, but will not really bring up the value of the car.

if your friend got a no-stories, properly maintained, relatively decent miles nsx for 13.5k, then he got a real steal of a deal, since a car like that should go for 10k more.

i think pricing is very much along the lines of the S2000, except twice as much.

cost for AP1s = 1/2 NA1s
cost for AP2s = 1/2 NA2s (pre 2002)

i would say that generally, price for maintenance (larger items) and mods are roughly twice expensive for the NSX as the S2000. (generally)

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I already stated "I hope I'm not making anyone mad; if so, sorry, not my intent at all."

Ummm, yes you did say that you think "some overpay". I know you're not trying to be argumentative - but listen - you are a total newbie about the NSX - you have much to learn and we are all of us more than willing to help. You also have to realize that just because this is a Honda - you will need at a minimum 5k in reserve to take care of maintenance items on any prospective 91 NSX you buy with high miles and I dare say more than that unless you find one that has been well maintained. Good luck.

There is no way I would believe that CARMAX sold a 91 NSX for 10k. In my opinion their prices are always way to high, so 10k...NO WAY. Also, at least in Charlotte, NC they don't put 20yr old cars on their lot...someone is either misinformed or is just lying. I would love to see that sales order.

I have now owned 4 NSX and in my opinion, I've done pretty well on all of them.

If you can get that car for 16k or even a little lower and there's nothing wrong with it...get it, end of story.

I just paid 22,000 for my 91. The Exterior and interior is mint. It also came with a few goodies. Exhaust, Car Cover, Full Audio System and a brand new set of wheels. The car does have 135,000 miles on it. But it is prestine condition. I plan on keeping it and doing a motor swap some day.
I think I paid a fair price for a clean 91.

I'm looking at a 92 red NSX. It has 142k on it. The car has been in an accident where the quarter panel was replaced. Also the car has 2 odometer discrepancy.

Seller is asking 16k OBO. I think thats kinda high no? My friend brought a clean title 91 with 129k on it for 13.5k

Any input would be nice. This would be my 1st NSX, and I don't want to rush into anything and regret anything late down the road.

Thanks

If you somehow pass on the $16k NSX, let me know where it is and I'd take a good look at it. I mean, who wouldn't want a NSX for $16k. As long as it doesn't need a lot of work.

I also find it hard to believe that carmax would sell a '91 for $10K. Call them and tell them that you have '91 (with similar details) you want to sell and see what they will offer you. If they offer you around 10k (or even 8 or 9), then the story is not true. I know of a guy who was trying to sell a '91 that was not in the best of conditions. Carmax offered him $13.5K. You know if they take it in for that, they will have to turn around and sell it for $20K.

Back