• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Integra Paddle Shifter

Just looking to get a bit of input from a gang whose opinions I value. As I am out of work and looking for something to do between consulting jobs and real job searching, I need something to work on. I was wondering if folks thought that there might be a reasonable amount of interest in a paddle shift retrofit kit. I was planning to do it for the Integra first. The kit would become available in phases. The first phase would be just the shifting; clutch operation still has to be done manually. This kit would do the electro-hydraulic shifting, would sell for about $1500, and would be able to be upgraded to include the clutch option once I got it done. I thought that I would do the Integra because of the large installed base and the fairly easy mod to make it work on the Civic. The cost of getting this off the ground is significant, even with me doing all the engineering. I just wanted another man's opinion. Do you think that I am tossing my money away? I'll need to sell about 25 of these to recoup my initial costs.
Hey, If it is a hit, I'll do an NSX version...but the shifter just feels sooooo good in the NSX, I am not sure if even I would want one.
Any constructive inputs are valued.
Thanks,
Paul

If you can make an F1-type paddle shifter for the C5 Corvette, you'll be set! The market is huge when it comes to C5's and to the best of my knowledge, no one curretly offers a F1-style shifter kit for the C5.

-Awais

One of my big questions is whether anyone would buy this without the clutch actuation. In my mind, it then is no different than a sequential manual shifter. It could even be floor mounted, but I like the steering wheel mount better, even if it is harder to do. I think that once I have the core technology down, this will be able to be fitted to many cars. It is just that I have this donor Integra...

I think it would be popular amoung the show crowd. I don't think many people who build there integras for performance would buy into it, but the people who constantly show would. Its such a unique product that it would win them big points at Hot Import Nights, NOPI Nationals, and other big car shows. The only way I think you could get the performance crowd to buy in would be if it cut times down, but then again, I know alot of people who just like the feeling of rowing through the gears.

I think this product should be marketed and created for Automatic transmissions; not manuals. My M3 is a 6speed manual, and I definitely wouldn't buy an aftermarket system that simply switches the gear for me. Although, I would pay for an F-1/SMG style system for my Automatic trans. C5.

-Awais

If you only need 25 to break even, then no, I don't think you're throwing your cash away.

I'm willing to bet you'd get a significant amount of interest from various import scenes ranging from SoCal to NJ and S.Florida.

The key to this would be marketing it.
Is this going to turn heads at local shows? HIN shows? Will it grab significant dealer/wholesaler attention? Finally, will it work? Do you forsee any problems?
Again - it's all marketing.

Obviously a 1500.00 mod is not on every 16-18yr old civic/integra driver's to do list, but I'm sure some of the diehard loyalists, and oler owners would go for it, as well as those who get frustrated with the detail and work it takes to convert an auto tranny to manual - they may see this as a much more viable solution.

So in conclusion, I'll take one for a 6th gen V6 Accord please. :D

Back