• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attn BBSC Novi 2000 Owners! Have you noticed oil in your Supercharger inlet?

EAC

Legendary Member
I've talked with a few people and it seems this is pretty common.

I pulled the filter off my Paxton Novi 2000 this weekend and noticed a little oil inside the inlet. First thing most would say, is NEEDS REBUILD.

But But But But... what if there is something else causing this?

Oil Return issues? High Crank Case Pressure? PCV? Catch Can?

My Setup:
  • Stock PCV
  • 8an Return Hose
  • Vented Catch can (Both Valve Covers Run To The Catch Can)
Anyone else having these issues?

Any Recommendations?

Last edited:
I've been wondering this same thing ever since I installed mine in the spring too. Same thing, every time I pull off the intake and look in, there is a bit of oil sitting at the bottom of the supercharger intake. I was going to send it into Paxton over the winter for a rebuild, but if its normal...its normal.

I know Charles had that problem for a long time and was the reason he got rid of it.

After three times of taking the Novi off and getting the impeller seals replaced under warranty ....Paxton was great about everything....No complaints...I got tired of doing it. The last time it leaked it sent oil all through my intercooler out my bypass valve and on my motor everywhere...I was done.
They said this was normal. All the Mustangs I know with the Paxton said they just deal with it

After three times of taking the Novi off and getting the impeller seals replaced under warranty ....Paxton was great about everything....No complaints...I got tired of doing it. The last time it leaked it sent oil all through my intercooler out my bypass valve and on my motor everywhere...I was done.
They said this was normal. All the Mustangs I know with the Paxton said they just deal with it

What the hell, what's the reason behind this?

I've never been impressed with Paxton or centrifugal blowers sealing design except www.wynjammer.com .

I knew a bunch of Mustang V8 guys that have nothing but oil leaks everywhere. They just lived with it.

A couple had some issue where in one of the centrifugal blowers where the oil line leaked so bad why the guy was racing that he lost engine oil pressure.

Cost him an engine.

For me, bringing a BBSC in my life is like reliving the RX7 days. No thanks.

The positive displacement blowers just are a better design for long and reliable life. Sure they make more heat, but it's build tolerances and separate oil system makes for headache-free issues related to the blower.

Last edited:

The positive displacement blowers just are a better design for long and reliable life. Sure they make more heat, but it's build tolerances and separate oil system makes for headache-free issues related to the blower.
Another former rotary nut.:wink:
I used to love my RX7.
Just got sick of it blowing turbo's and apex seals.

Relive your old RX7 days? What the hell are you talking about? You just blew your NSX motor up with the whipple!

Please, only first hand knowledge.

Relive your old RX7 days? What the hell are you talking about? You just blew your NSX motor up with the whipple!

Please, only first hand knowledge.
Actually it's Kenne Bell/Autorotor but I think folks got your point.

Can I ask an honest question? What's the magic with 400hp? I rather REALLY like the 340-370 range and leaves you a much bigger margin of safety (unless you're really egging for a rebuild).

Can I ask an honest question? What's the magic with 400hp? I rather REALLY like the 340-370 range and leaves you a much bigger margin of safety (unless you're really egging for a rebuild).

IMHO I think it's boost. 8psi being the max i would run on a stock block.

I'll be pulling the engine out soon and once it's opened my engine builder and I will see if my engine died as a result of:

1. bad tuning (detonation)
2. FIC hit it's limit at 10psi~ (detonation)
3. Or the OEM piston rings simply couldn't handle the extra dynamic pressures even with the correct tune and supporting mods.

Different strokes for different folks?

400whp is what it takes these days just to keep up with stock cars.

IMHO I think it's boost. 8psi being the max i would run on a stock block.

I'll be pulling the engine out soon and once it's opened my engine builder and I will see if my engine died as a result of:

1. bad tuning (detonation)
2. FIC hit it's limit at 10psi~ (detonation)
3. Or the OEM piston rings simply couldn't handle the extra dynamic pressures even with the correct tune and supporting mods.
Boost is just one parameter. I also would like to pull back on the timing even if it means I lose 20hp.

Didn't Shad tune your setup? Did you ask him to ring out as much HP as you could or did you ask for a conservative/safe tune?
Different strokes for different folks?

400whp is what it takes these days just to keep up with stock cars.
Agreed!

At these power levels... I like to think the driver makes for an increasingly larger component of the equation.

Boost is just one parameter. I also would like to pull back on the timing even if it means I lose 20hp.

Didn't Shad tune your setup? Did you ask him to ring out as much HP as you could or did you ask for a conservative/safe tune?......

I hear you on timing.

With regards to Shad I just simply handed him the NSX and told him it's for street usage and 91 pump gas with no meth injection or trick fuel.

I trusted him to do the tuning.

The injectors that he placed in my setup are 550 RC Engineering. For the boost was that suffice?

What the hell, what's the reason behind this?

You know I never got an answer for that. They just said send it back in and we'll take care of it. Everytime the thing came back looking brand new. Kinda like Batman said maybe just poor design. I will say I never had an issue when I had the Novi1000.. Only when I switched to the 2000 did it keep leaking

Not to discourage you on your kit but just info to pass. Like I said after going with the TEC3 and correcting some things from the original BBSC kit. I was happy except for the leaking impellar seals

Another good site to discuss your SC

http://www.superchargersonline.com/forum/
Charles

Last edited:
I never thought to search google. :rolleyes:

Did u know about this potential issue prior to buying it?

if you did then I understand.

Us ex-rotor-heads have gone through enough engines to have this hope and pray "it's not me" that has to deal with any performance related ailments.

EAC - perhaps a new blower design took care of this? It sounds like the Centrifugal SC can be a great setup. I don't know.. maybe there's a Novi3000 that doesn't have this issue. Not sure about fitment though but i'd be surprised if they weren't somewhat generic.

Did u know about this potential issue prior to buying it?
Nope, but I'm still not convinced it's a across the board phenomenon. I have two close friends with Paxtons and neither have these problems.

Us ex-rotor-heads have gone through enough engines to have this hope and pray "it's not me" that has to deal with any performance related ailments.

I'm numb to it all. I know and understand that anything can happen with modifying a car.

ive seen, with my own eyes, 10 motors blown as a result of a whipple based SC. I can't conjecture how many others are out there, because i've only been privy to the ones i see as i happen to pick up or drop off my car.

Your ass is speaking. Use your head and your mouth. i'm just sayin'.

I've never been impressed with Paxton or centrifugal blowers sealing design except www.wynjammer.com .

I knew a bunch of Mustang V8 guys that have nothing but oil leaks everywhere. They just lived with it.

A couple had some issue where in one of the centrifugal blowers where the oil line leaked so bad why the guy was racing that he lost engine oil pressure.

Cost him an engine.

Back