• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering an NSX as a daily driver

Hi guys

I'm considering buying an NSX as a daily driver. I already have my week-end toys and cannot afford a third one as I have no more garage room ;-)
But I could buy it and get rid of my current dd.

Do you guys think the car can cope with staying outside and being driven daily ? Will it run reliably ? I'm looking at a 1991 or 1993 car, if that makes a difference. I'm in Switzerland.

Thanks, I'm hopeful to have one soon.

It's a honda it can and will handle whatever you throw at it, if you don't need a back seat it's a perfect daily driver.

This gets asked 1-2 times a month and most people respond with it is a Honda they will never break. I personally would not want to daily drive a 25 year old car. I am sure if you kept up with the maintenance a Model T would keep running as well but the likelihood of breaking down is greater versus a 5 year old car.

This gets asked 1-2 times a month and most people respond with it is a Honda they will never break. I personally would not want to daily drive a 25 year old car. I am sure if you kept up with the maintenance a Model T would keep running as well but the likelihood of breaking down is greater versus a 5 year old car.

To each their own, but I'm half and half on this topic because of exactly what Aaron just said. It is a reliable car for what it is but it is still old. So ill give you my answer that i tell everyone and you seem to fall in my category. It's totally a DD when you have another vehicle. What im saying by this is that, it wont really break unless u break it, and its easy to fix, but sometimes it just takes a lil longer to fix some of the stuff/get items shipped in, so you may b out a car for a few days. I only consider things a tru sole DD if you can fix almost anything in a day and if your tires can b found at any normal store lol

but hey then again, i remember going with a friend to buy a 2011 m5 and it completely self destructed on the way back from the dealer with 12mi on it...

Last edited:
The NSX is a very reliable car. I have used mine as a daily driver for 11 years. I own a mobile medical company and currently have three cars in my mini-fleet with over 350K miles. If you stay on top of them by doing routine maintenance, they will last decades. The NSX is a well designed and built car. There is no reason it cannot be driven every day. That said, I still use my wife's MDX to pick up lumber at Home Depot. Jerry

Been daily driving mine for 5 years with over 75K miles during that time with a total of 137K, so yes it can be driven daily.

Thanks guys for your reply. Hope to bring one home very soon!! sounds like it's feasible ;-) I can live with the car at the shop for a few days every now and then but not too often. Hopefully the prices for the repairs and maintenace are more honda-like and not like exotic italian cars....have enough of those... ;-)

Besides reliability, which most have covered, do you have a full winter weather climate where you are in Switzerland? That would be the downside IMO. Not a good snow covered road car;).....

Regards,
LarryB

These cars all have their share of issues. By now most have been resolved by previous owners. Some may not have. Some things will need addressing as time/mileage goes by so don't be disappointed in the car for something that is "typical"
to happen that may have not been addressed by previous owners.

Besides reliability, which most have covered, do you have a full winter weather climate where you are in Switzerland? That would be the downside IMO. Not a good snow covered road car;).....
Larry has a good point .. but his conclusion is not. If you want to drive in snow/ice, just get yourself some winter tires. I currently have about 25-30k winter miles on mine since '91 .. snow, ice, slush, salt. I've driven in snow deep enough to be levelling it & haven't been stuck yet. Larry has also looked at mine on a hoist and said that it was no worse than most others he sees .. or something to that effect .. although I don't think he'd ever seen a block heater.

Aaron94T mentioned above "I personally would not want to daily drive a 25 year old car". Mine is a '91 so that's as close to 25 years as you get with an NSX and it has been daily driven since 2001 during which time I put about 100k miles on it. It's currently over 190k. And that not only includes the 25-30k winter miles mentioned above, it also includes track time by the previous owner as well as myself. I can also confirm that it will start at -40C without the block heater being plugged in. In spite of all that abuse, I have only had the usual 'non-wear' things fail .. the Bose amps (twice); an a/c condensing fan; main relay; upgraded the a/c compressor; upgraded the ABS; tie-rods (IIRC); a modded ECU. Parts can be expensive by Honda standards and are getting harder to find .. but I've rarely had anything approaching $1000.

Not a good snow covered road car;).....
Homer Simpson's snow plow? :) Most cars here are driven in dry weather only. So you will face quite a big hit in resale value if you drive it during the winter season.

superpippo, did you buy an NSX recently? There's quite a lot of people putting them for sale now. Don't ask me in what country I reside...

superpippo, I daily drive my NSX and that also included very hot and very cold temperatures including snow, ice, etc. Honestly the only downside is that your daily driver will cost a little more to repair versus a cheaper, more boring car. As mentioned, switching between summer and winter tires will go a long way towards making the car driveable in all conditions but you are probably doing that already anyway.

Mine is a '91 so that's as close to 25 years as you can get with an NSX and it has been daily driven since 2001 during which time I put about 100k miles on it. It's currently over 190k. And that not only includes the 25-30k winter miles mentioned above, it also includes track time by the previous owner as well as myself. I can also confirm that it will start at -40C without the block heater being plugged in.

At the last NSXPO Ian was kind enough to give me a lift in his car. I was amazed at how well it went and what great condition it was in. Just the same as most NSXs I have driven or ridden in. A testament to brilliant design and engineering by Honda initially. Daily Driver? Go for it!

Cheers Scott

i had more reliability in my '02 than my '15 impreza. the nsx was built right. subaru is on the "reliable" end of modern cars but i've now had 3 bs "lights" to deal with and only 5K miles.

Back