• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Contemplating KW Variant 3 Coilovers. your thoughts?

I sported kw variant 2 coilovers on my Vipers and really liked 'em. I've only sported Bilstein Shocks on my NSX's. I like them but looking at getting more adjustability with the coilovers. Those with kw3's, how are u liking them? Are there others - should maybe consider? I don't really do any tracking, mostly street driving, this is my daily ;).

B@t

I have the KW v3 and really like them. Prior to this, I ran RM Racing springs with stock shocks. I wanted to change them out for the longest time, but couldn't find one that I liked. When KW released the v3 for the NSX, I finally found what I was looking for. It's very compliant on the road, but tightens up nicely at the bends. Best of both worlds, IMO. I find these more comfortable, with better handling characteristics than my previous setup.

So far I had:

Bilstein with eibach springs - better than oem but too much body roll still..
Stance - huge mistake, never again.
HKS Hypermax II - I liked them a lot.
KW V3 - I like them more than HKS.

I hope this helps.

So far I had:

Bilstein with eibach springs - better than oem but too much body roll still..
Stance - huge mistake, never again.
HKS Hypermax II - I liked them a lot.
KW V3 - I like them more than HKS.

I hope this helps.
I agree having driven these setups and more. Which is why I have V3s on my NSX and M3.

I've ran Teins, Mugen, Spoon, and the Kw V.3s were by far the best on my S2000 for track/ street duty. So i've ordered a set of V.3s for my nsx.

I went from stock to KWV3 about a year ago, and have not regretted that decision. If you use softer spring rates and adjust them accordingly you can find a very nice balance between compliance on the street and stiffness on the track.

The right answer will depend on your own personal concept of value. There are less expensive sets but they have their drawbacks. There are better sets, but they are more expensive. My personal opinion is that for most people who want to lower their cars, the KW V3 is the best value.

Something I keep seeing over and over again is people not wanting to pay the price for the V3s. Their reasoning is that they don't track the car so they don't need that advanced of a system. What they are missing is the fact that the KWs can be set up to ride almost exactly the same as OEM yet be lowered - very low if they want. To me, it's actually the best possible STREET setup that you can also bring to the track. It's not a track suspension that you can also drive on the street.

J

Guys, I appreciate all ur input :). I paid 3200.00 for my kw2's on my viper, and I loved 'em. I see the prices on kw3's for the nsx upwards of 2700.00. I've got a buddy that can get them for a tad under 2200.00 shipped. Will these coilovers settle a bit in time?

B@t

I think 2700 if it includes the pillow ball mounts. Check with autowave or umbrella auto design if they can get you for cheaper.

I got mine for 2200 but the pillow ball mounts are 500 extra.

Guys, I appreciate all ur input :). I paid 3200.00 for my kw2's on my viper, and I loved 'em. I see the prices on kw3's for the nsx upwards of 2700.00. I've got a buddy that can get them for a tad under 2200.00 shipped. Will these coilovers settle a bit in time?

B@t

on ebay they are also around 2200 as well without pillow mounts. these are teh sale prices that come up pretty much all the time.

I wouldn't want their pillow mounts. To me the fact that they suggest using your oem top hats is part of the reason why i like them so much. I also heard that some guys were complaining on clicking noises when running kw pillow mounts instead of oem.

2 thumbs up for the KWV3's, excellent damping and adjust-ability plus surprisingly good comfort......almost like stock!

Brian

i went from stock to kwv3 about a year ago, and have not regretted that decision. If you use softer spring rates and adjust them accordingly you can find a very nice balance between compliance on the street and stiffness on the track.

+1.

Couple of questions please:
Do they offer this product in alloy? For those of us that don't really need the SST, we would like to drop the 25 lbs or so that some of the other brands net.

What about noises? I notice they are double spring units and it appears at least one of the units doesn't use a buffer between the two springs. TIA

No spring noise. No problem with the pillow balls which I purchased from Umbrella. No settling. Over 5000 miles. No problems.

Couple of questions please:
Do they offer this product in alloy? For those of us that don't really need the SST, we would like to drop the 25 lbs or so that some of the other brands net.

What about noises? I notice they are double spring units and it appears at least one of the units doesn't use a buffer between the two springs. TIA
Only made in the Inox stainless steel bodies. What is SST?

No noises and yes they have the main spring and a helper (aka: tender) spring. I'm not sure about the 'buffer' you're referring to but there is a collar that centers and connects the primary to the helper spring.

Billy

The feel on the street is very similar - it does not have the jounce like the NSX-R in street use. Keep in mind that the Type-S suspension is not ride height adjustable or damp adjustable. While many people like the idea of the "set it and forget it" aspect of a factory suspension, it's fair to say that the same could be applied to the KW suspension as KW has ride height and damp setting recommendations. Once set, you can leave it there, or adjust it if you please.

-- Chris

Can I ask why KW did not incorporate a height adjustable lower bracket? It seems much more difficult (if it's even possible) to adjust the spring preload with the V3 system. Is that what the helper spring is for?

Also, let's say for the folks that actually track their KW V3s, do you ever feel the need for much more spring rate than the 350lbs they ship with? To me, if you're running such a soft spring rate its sort of a no brainer why they ride so well on the street... just trying to understand where the tradeoff is with this suspension. Thanks!

I dont run the kw, but run jrz rs dampers and I have tried 450/350 and 600/500 springs and can tell you the street ride difference is neglible, but on the track the difference is substancial.

sent from my Evo4

Ride / comfort is a bit like exhaust note, it's more a matter of personal taste / opinion. 600/500 springs would be too harsh on the street for many, but fine for others.
Affect on track performance being "substantial" depends on your expectations. If you can lap consistently within 0.3 seconds and stiffening springs gives you another 0.2 sec/lap that would seem substantial / worth it. But if you're a track newbie (or never will be :redface:) then stiffer springs over KW3 will probably go unnoticed in measurable performance, even if it feels better in your head :cool:

Can I ask why KW did not incorporate a height adjustable lower bracket? It seems much more difficult (if it's even possible) to adjust the spring preload with the V3 system. Is that what the helper spring is for?

Also, let's say for the folks that actually track their KW V3s, do you ever feel the need for much more spring rate than the 350lbs they ship with? To me, if you're running such a soft spring rate its sort of a no brainer why they ride so well on the street... just trying to understand where the tradeoff is with this suspension. Thanks!

I hate it when people call the spring perch a "preload adjuster" because its not an accurate name and confuses people about preload. You're referring to the SPRING PERCH. Spring perches dictate ride height. Raise the spring perch collar, raise your ride height, lower it, lower the height. Its that simple. Don't go into misnaming and misunderstanding what preload is. Most people will not ever need to know or haw to change the effects of preload, so just view it as RIDE HEIGHT.

The threaded bodies with a separate collar to adjust ride height that many Asian damper companies use have more moving parts, and create limitations in the damper body length and thus limiting overall travel. There are no racing dampers that utilize this design, they use the simple, traditional design that KW uses.

V3s are more than fine for track use FOR ME. However the stock rates are soft, you can reduce roll further by larger swaybars like from Dali Racing. This is what I will be doing for my own car to keep the ride quality yet have the roll resistance I need on track.

Billy

Back