• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Spare Tire Removal

Does anyone out there know if you can remove the spare tire from the OEM spare tire rim? Some of the Acura literature I've seen says that you can't remove the tire from the rim, but I'm not sure why.

I want to send the OEM spare rim out for painting, but if I can't remover the tire from the rim, then I'm going to have to look at another option.

I'll Bite....

First of all MOST tire shops have a really hard time removing and installing low profile tires (35 & 30 aspect ratio wall heights). the expandable spare is at best a 40 profile when expanded!, that said it maybe somewhere around 20 when collapsed. Nobody is going to invest in a machine for the purpose of r&r of a piece of rubber that is beyond hugging its wheel.

BTW...what year is your car? Mine is a 2003 and I would not even attempt to use my 10 year old spare, I it wouldn't be safe. Tires to expire, even under the best conditions. I know. When I sold a car that had 10 year old tires one it, the test drive felt like I was driving on a car with SOLID rubber tires. After the new owner put new tires on it...it felt like glass.

but this is my .02 you should do a search on tire expiry.

Good Luck
Rich Wong

The answers are; yes you [a tyre shop] can remove a collapsable spare, yes they can also replace with another.
However, in the UK at least new collapsable tyres are not available for purchase, so you will have to rob from another wheel and tyre combo.
Porsche 964s had similar wheel and tyre combinations, searching ebay will sometimes find a hoard of tyres for sale, mainly as the wheels are sought after by VW fans, unfortunately the tyres are equally aged.
The other option is to source the same from an SLK Mercedes, cheap, easily available; you can either de-mount and remount the tyre, or modify the wheel to fit.
See my link previously posted on Prime,
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...er-Saver-Wheel-and-Tyre?p=1404438#post1404438

Back