• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil pressure guage inop. Any suggestions who can fix the gauge? Not BrianK.

Gauge never worked since I got the car, previous owner didnt care to fix it. Its not important to me but Id just rather have it operate than not. I contacted BrianK and he seemed uninterested in taking a look at it. Not saying he didnt care but his suggestion was to replace it. I cant think of any way of replacing it other than junkyards. I went on partmyride.com and asked for just the part and they said they'll only sell as a unit.....for $800!!!! So im looking for someone local.....or not...thats really good with electronics and take a peek/repair it. Any suggestions??

Cmon Northwest, dont fail me now!! :) Thanks.

How do you know that it's the gauge that's the problem? Maybe the oil pressure sender needs replacement .. and it's considerably cheaper and easier to replace. Note that there are actually two oil pressure senders .. one drives the idiot light and is located near the oil filter .. and the other drives the gauge and is located on the driver's end of the rear cylinder head.

Got overzealous and bought the SoS oil pressure sensor kit and it did nothing. Tested the sender at the oil filter as per the manual and so Ive ruled out those possibilities.

Well, I guess it could still be the factory wiring between the SOS unit and the gauge but I'm not sure how best to rule that out. I was just trying to point out that although many people complain of low oil pressure readings .. it's pretty rare to have no readings at all .. is that what you really meant? ie. not even at startup when the engine is cold and tends to show the highest reading on the gauge? If it really is a dead gauge, I don't think you're going to find a lot of people that have had that problem and can offer suggestions. You might try Shaun .. he seems to buy up wrecks occasionally.

Correct, gauge is absolutely dead. No needle movement WHATSOEVER. Yeah, funn you should mention Shaun. I PM'ed him last night. We'll see what happens. I found this site - PartMyRide.com - and theres a few wrecked NSXs in Cali but they will only sell me the entire cluster for $800! No thanks.

Correct, gauge is absolutely dead. No needle movement WHATSOEVER. Yeah, funn you should mention Shaun. I PM'ed him last night. We'll see what happens. I found this site - PartMyRide.com - and theres a few wrecked NSXs in Cali but they will only sell me the entire cluster for $800! No thanks.

You can just get the gauge from the dealer it will just be with bluish face color but will have to swap the temp gauge as only NA2 gauges are available at dealer and that one would need new temp sensor or just swap the internals from a new gauge. I still don't know the right way of removing the gauge needles on nsx gauge cluster so sending it to professional for swap would cost much less.

Interesting. Thanks for the response, winreboot!

For anyone who cares, Shawn suggested I look on ebay for clusters but they're like $800-1000. We'll see what I can come up with. Maybe just wait til I go SC and get a small gauge setup. Its not that pertinent to me since I dont track it but Id just like it if everything worked.

Did you get this resolved? When I had no oil pressure, I was able to get just the gauge from the dealer and I had to take apart my gauge cluster to replace it, but I was installing the SOS cluster rings anyway so it wasn't a big deal. You don't however test this gauge sending unit by the oil filter, that sending unit is for the oil pressure light. The gauge sending unit is on the front head under the coolant tank and is a PITA to get to, I also replaced that twice then decided to install the SOS remote oil pressure gauge sending unit. To test the oil pressure gauge you disconnect the wire to the sending unit, which is actually by the front VTEC switch and you touch it to ground while watching the oil pressure gauge needle, the needle should move all the way to the top when you ground out the sending unit wire. If the gauge moves all the way to the top then the gauge is fine and you need a new sending unit. My car had no oil pressure at the sending unit.

eNuf, I have NOT gotten this resolved. Sorta gave up on it. Not really a DIRE need since I dont go to the track or anything. It does bug the hell out of me though. I have since replaced it with the SOS one also but no results which was very discouraging. I will have to test the sending unit as you suggest. I thought this was a lost cause, I really appreciate the suggestion. I followed the shop manual troubleshooting and IIRC, it said if I unplug it and turn the car on, the needle should spike but it didnt do anything when I did that.

As for the gauge, the part isnt offered anymore. They DO offer it for the 02 and ups but its blue so again, it comes back to how bad I need it and how much I care that the gauge matches the color scheme.

I'll keep you up with the results.

SarcasticaLy, if you are at the PDX drive on the 28th we can look at this in more detail check the gauge if you want. My 1991 Service Manual said to unplug the gauge sending unit and touch the wire coming from the gauge to ground and the gauge should go to 8, my old gauge only went to about 5 so I replaced it and the new one worked correctly. I should still have my old gauge and the face should not be difficult to swap over to a new gauge with a blue face. I can help you with this if you want.

Sounds like a plan! Its not lookin good for the drive though cuz Im in the process of lowering my car and my dumbass got overzealous and didnt research enough before taking it on and so I popped out the lower control arm ball joints, which is apparently a HUGE no-no!! So I gotta try to work on it bit by bit before/after work and stuff. I just ordered all the coolant hoses too. And new brakes since one of my rotors is cracked somehow. I'll keep you posted. Def gon try to make it to the drive though.

Back