• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pickup Road Trip Dallas to LA - need ideas

I thought about posting in the regionals, but this would span several regions.

I'm pulling the trigger on an NSX in Dallas and I plan to drive it back to Los Angeles. Having recently done the 10 through San Antonio / El Paso / Phoenix, I'm going to go a little North this time around.

Some of it will be along the mother road as I'll be going through Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff (as the song goes).

For those familiar with this route, please post suggestions for sites to stop, places to stay and eat. I know there's yelp and trip advisor, but the insight of some like-minded NSX owners must be better.

Also, I hear the road conditions on Route 66 are a bit rough...I'd appreciate recommendations on parts to take / avoid.

Thank you in advance!

Sounds like that will be one hell of a fun drive. Takes me back to the college days when a few friends of mine loaded up a jeep cherokee for a 3 week trip heading west from Cincinnati OH to Flagstaff, then north to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon UT back through Colorado home to Cincy.

We spent quite a bit of time on I-40 and the only thing i remember is the cops were sneaky on the stretch from AZ/NM border heading west to Flagstaff (Pulled over 3 times) FYI, that was 15 years ago and those troopers are probably retired by now.

If you stay the night in Flagstaff, don't stay at the cheap hotel at the corner of Santa Fe and Humphrey's. The trains will keep you up all night and the showers are fitted for midgets.

Wish I could be of more help...Thanks for the nastalgia and have a fun safe trip in your new whip!!!!

Day 1: Dallas to Amarillo - picked up from original owner. His 3rd NSX. Drives around the neighborhood like an accord. Reminds me of being in an accord and legend in some ways...honda aesthetics. Feels fantastic once you get it up to speed and rpm > 4K. All I can think...this is gonna make one heck of a daily driver! Cup holders! I didn't realize there were cup holders. No Aux input? Only one outlet? Lame. At each stop, 2 different people came to ask me about it. One guy even came from another parking lot saying "I drove over just to get a look at it." Ahhh, vanity!

DSC_3911b.jpg

Keep in mind you will be at high elevation on your route and may hit bad weather/snow etc.
I drove back from Raleigh NC through to Salt Lake City via New Mexico in October and was worried about hitting snow even then.

congrats on the purchase...safe travels!

Day 2: Amarillo to Albuquerque to Gallup
As pointed out - West Texas gets cold! Didn't hit snow, but there was plenty of it in the fields off the highway. At one point, serious sheets of ice were flying off an 18 wheeler ahead of us. I've learned to keep my distance from those bastards. BBQ in Texas, Enchiladas in NM - and decent beer, too. A lot of route 66 is poorly maintained, but we made an effort to check out a few of the historic stops and even a ghost town.

DSC_3940b.jpg

Keep in mind you will be at high elevation on your route and may hit bad weather/snow etc.
I drove back from Raleigh NC through to Salt Lake City via New Mexico in October and was worried about hitting snow even then.

- - - Updated - - -

1 owner, 47K miles, no accidents, clean title/autocheck, mechanically sound and consistent with stated history per Goodson PPI - they also sold him the car and did all the maintenance. The seller was gracious enough to cover the recommended fixes in the PPI report before I arrived. Seems to be a solid, investment-grade vehicle that will also function as my daily driver.

You got one! Congrats! More details on the car please!

I saw you thread and was going to ask your where abouts, how cool would it have been to meet up and drive home together. Mine is 01/02 (I'll explain this later) hot red just asking for trouble lol. If you are still on the road safe travels.

Day 3: Gallup to Vegas
Damn straight I'm stopping in Vegas...but not before a stop at the Petrified Forest National Park and Tacos in Flagstaff. Car holding up great.
DSC_3971b.jpg

Glad you made it over the Divide without serious weather.
Once in Las Vegas you are home free.
Nothing like an NSX at 75-80 mph feeling like it will go forever.

Congrats -- believe I saw that car on Prime and looked very nice. I was thinking of selling my pristine /94 Formula Red w/45,000 easy miles on the clock and moving into a NA2 but timing didn't work out. Enjoy your new ride. FWIW, I think the silver/black is great color combination.

Best,
Jeff

I gotta tell you guys, driving across country is phenomenal. I've done it several times in the past - though it may seem like the price of shipping is outweighed by the opportunity cost of your time and the mileage hit...there's something very comforting about a few days of the road. For us city folks, it's really nice to see these bits of America from the snowy fields of West Texas to the Joshua trees of CA's high desert. To top it off, I grabbed a room at The Hotel @ Mandalay Bay for $60 and gained a Michelin Star before heading home - the Western end of route 66.

Here's another pic from the painted desert area of AZ. Ridiculous stuff.
photo (5).jpg

Back