• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wilwood reviews?

KGP

Legendary Member
To those who have purchased a Wilwood big brake kit, what are your thoughts?

I have not had the opportunity to thoroughly test mine yet, but in the limited time that I have had with my car one thing is for certain: The e-brake is a complete joke, at least on my set. Not only is it worthless in holding the car at a parked stop, even on the slightest incline or decline, they squeal like a group of kids running their finger nails over a chalk board. I simply couldn't take the noise and removed them. Inspection of the e-brake pads showed them wearing at an angle that has to be close to 15-20 degrees. Anyone else with similar issues?

Then they were installed wrong. Mine have been installed wrong twice now. I have not driven my car enough to give you a good impression on the setup. I've had to replace damn near every component of the kit due to an installer who deserves to have his testes removed with a spoon.

i have not had the wilwood brake kit on my nsx, but their kit for a civic si is just pure crap. It was about 25% cheaper than brembo's but it Squeals, rattles, and provided me with a softer pedal feel....and I would like to consider myself as an experienced DYI guy.

Juice said:
Then they were installed wrong. Mine have been installed wrong twice now.
I know another person who suffers from the same situation. If in fact they were installed wrong, then I still tend to look towards the kit as somewhat of a problem with so many creating multiple problems of the same issue. BTW, my install was not a DIY. It was done by FX. That said, it was only the second Wilwood kit that they had installed. I can say that they spent quite a bit of time adjusting and trying to "get it right," but in the end I was left with something that was not worth having on the car (e-brake I'm speaking of). While not "put to the test" yet, the pedal feel has been excellent in the limited time Iv'e had with them. I can't wait to see how they perform on the track.

If anyone is having any issues what-so-ever with any of our products, including our Wilwood BBK, they can contact us 24/7 for support either by phone, fax, or e-mail. We take feedback seriously, and we have begun to see some initial feedback trickle in for our version 1.0 Wilwood BBK, including:

- Installation: It has been reported to us by casual users that better instructions would be appreciated. For those whom are regular DIY installation shouldn't be so much of an issue. However, I have seen one instance already whereas a bracket was mounted to the hub so that the caliper was facing all together the wrong way which wasn't encouraging.

Ideally, we would like to see even a track product like our BBK be almost as easy to install as a CD player for even a novice with little to no experience.
Usability is always a challenge, and in response, we have been working directly with several parties to create re-vamped instructions for our Wilwood kit. ETA is ASAP.

The bigger picture is that we are also working to create a design format, and central repository for installation instructions and other support articles for all of our products at SWR as you can see here:

http://www.speedwithinreach.com/kb/

This online KB tool is still in beta mode at this time. Several issues- including content protection, copyright/legal, and resources have inhibited us from getting it up sooner.

However, as things get ironed out, instructions should be a pinch to download on the respective products; and we hope to set a new bar for support quality for aftermarket performance products. Our Wilwood instructions will be first up along with a wide range of information on brake systems and components.

- Caliper Flex: All calipers of course flex to some extent - even an expensive Brembo enduro caliper. Less expensive calipers are of course far more prone to it than an expensive race caliper.

Once we have good data in from a viable source we'll be sure to convey it. If we see a pattern of significant problems for our user base, we will of course address it. Notable, our newer caliper in our 1.5 version kit was chosen in part based on flex after several meetings.

eBrake: It is a race caliper, not an emergency brake. It has been reported to us that you will lose 20% of the holding capability by design. It does require some fine tuning to get it to the point whereas it works but does not squeal around town. If it is installed improperly the e-Brake pad can be damaged at the stated 15-20 degree angle and it will not hold.

KGP- We'll be happy to adjust your e-Brake caliper. We can get some new pads for you and do whatever we need to do to get it setup properly. We'll be adjusting Sig's BBK next week before NSXPO. We have many successful installations with no problems on the eBrake but it does take some tuning.

Other/Misc: Squeal plates are available for the front and rear calipers if desired. Hardware is SAE like ST, and other offerings. Pads by default are a poly matrix street pad. For track usage, we have a wide range of pads with higher operating temperatures and more bite tailored for your application. Please contact us.

Finally, note that our Wilwood BBK like all products is constantly under-going refinement and revisions. We have seen literally only a handful of isolated issues with our NSX version 1.0 release, and we are working to address every last one of them.

We are also please to report that we have also had zero issues thus far with our new version 1.0 S2000 BBK which is great news on an initial release.

We have just shipped out our first version 1.5 NSX Wilwood BBK this week which includes updated brackets, and a new Wilwood 6 pot caliper.

Going forward, there will inevitably be more releases, as the product evolves during the course of its lifecycle. I'll be sure to post a product revision history sheet shortly. In the end, we are always looking for ways to improve our products and services, and the NSX BBK is no exception.

Best Regards,

John

Last edited:
KGP said:
To those who have purchased a Wilwood big brake kit, what are your thoughts?

I have not had the opportunity to thoroughly test mine yet, but in the limited time that I have had with my car one thing is for certain: The e-brake is a complete joke, at least on my set. Not only is it worthless in holding the car at a parked stop, even on the slightest incline or decline, they squeal like a group of kids running their finger nails over a chalk board. I simply couldn't take the noise and removed them. Inspection of the e-brake pads showed them wearing at an angle that has to be close to 15-20 degrees. Anyone else with similar issues?

Do not waste your time adgasting e-brake it will not work.
I pull them out and instal Brembo E-brake on one side and
it hold like crazy. I stil have the other Bremo E-brake caliper
if You want I can sell it to You
If interested call me 415 6659810
Thanks
Igor

John,

Is mine the 1.5 kit or the 1.0 kit.

Tim

jorligan said:
John,

Is mine the 1.5 kit or the 1.0 kit.

Tim
Hi Tim,

All retail customers have received our 1.0 kit at this time, which was shipped at the discounted introductory price. In fact, yours was the last 1.0 shipped.

All new orders will be for the 1.5 kit, which will be finally available for retail sale in about another two weeks. The 1.5 kit will not be sold at the discounted price, but will offer some minor changes- including a radial mount caliper design and slightly revised brackets as eluded to earlier.

Like007 said:
Do not waste your time adgasting e-brake it will not work.

I wouldn't say that. My NSX mechanic was able to get this setup to work nicely. NOTE: 2 other individuals had their shot first. The result was $1600 in reordered parts and a lot of headaches.

E-brake is a not a serious problem but I leave my car in gear anyways when parked however, my Wilwood are not tracked and I have had no problems with them.

Tan

Gene,

In regards to the "Professional" installation, SIG also has the Wilwood kit and after Andie Lin's very informative talk about brakes at XPO, they were out there changing rotors on the car since they were put on backwards. The Wilwood rotors are vented directionally so they are side specific (NOTHING IN THE DIRECTIONS). The vents should be pointing back from the car. For the E-Brake, mine works without a problem and don't squeal. I put the E-brake on the car and pulled up the brake handle 1 click. I then tightened down the E-brake on the rotor so it was finger tight and then locked it. It doesn't squeal at all and there is no evidence on the rotor that it rubs. I have to pull up the handbrake around 4 clicks to have it sit right. Jason should be able to post on his experience on the track.

For the most part, the instructions provided with the brakes are worthless at best. If anyone has questions about installation, PM me and I will give what help I can. It took me 3 hours for the right rear alone (Figuring out how it all laid out) and then 1 hour for the rest. Now to check my rotors.....

Tim

Tim:

Thanks for the FYI. Yes, I talked to Jason yesterday, and I will indeed check the vanes. However, like I mentioned, I haven't been able to really put them to the test yet, but from the experience so far they work fine. As to the e-brake, it was adjusted and re-adjusted many times, all resulting in a poor outcome. Jason mentioned yesterday that he also took his off as well. As to the poor instructions; If a vendor can't find the time, or doesn't have the capability to provide decent instructions, then they should expect some poor reviews as a result. Once again, I withhold judgement on the performance of the BBK itself, and am only giving a fail grade to the e-brake, which may, or may not, be a result of poor instructions.

-Gene

It should be noted that the instructions referred to is Wilwood's, which is included with all of their BBK's- in this case the set actually being for the RSX - and not ours.

In our experience, 90% of all performance products come with inadequate, dismal, or otherwise un-translated instructions. Even for big ticket items like body kits and engine components whereas expectations run high, generally the documentation provided by manufacturers has proven over the years to be really poor.

SWR is the only vendor that we are aware of that is working hard to completely re-translate and/or re-write the included manufacturers instructions for every product that we offer, NSX application included, and make them available to our customers. An on-going effort, we are working to reset the bar. Obviously, this has been an enormous task.

Ideally, even for the smallest detail on an obscure Japanese part we would like to provide additional technical documentation, FAQ's, and other relevant content supplemental to the manufacturers instructions in order to provide for:

1) A thorough, safe, installation of all performance products: Our experience is that many users and/or installers have varying degrees of technical competency. It is our hope that our elected format eventually caters to the widest possible user base. In order to facilitate Q/A testing is necessary, which takes time.

2) A better end-to-end out of box experience for users:: We want all of our users to have only the very best out-of-box experience from us. That isn't limited to just instructions either from our point of view.

If the manufacturer includes poor documentation, misplaces even something as small as a washer, or otherwise errors- inevitably that reflects on the distributor and/or retailer of the product.

As a distributor/retailer- while the correct course of action may be to push back to the manufacturer of the product, the vast majority of the time we instead devote our own internal resources to solving the issue for the customer without any regard what-so-ever to cost.

Regards,

John

Juice said:
Jason, can you post some pics of your setup now? I was not aware that you had them worked on during NSXPO.

They worked on in the sense that we reversed all the rotors and removed the ebrake. Unfortunately, if the ebrake is not installed properly from the beginning, it will be almost impossible to ever getting it to work properly unless you get new pads for the ebrake.

Their performance during the Driver's Education School was quite good and exceeded my expectations seeing that the street pads were being used. the only pics I have are from when the rotors were reversed. I'll try to post one up later tonight.

jorligan said:
Gene,

In regards to the "Professional" installation, SIG also has the Wilwood kit and after Andie Lin's very informative talk about brakes at XPO, they were out there changing rotors on the car since they were put on backwards. The Wilwood rotors are vented directionally so they are side specific (NOTHING IN THE DIRECTIONS). The vents should be pointing back from the car. For the E-Brake, mine works without a problem and don't squeal. I put the E-brake on the car and pulled up the brake handle 1 click. I then tightened down the E-brake on the rotor so it was finger tight and then locked it. It doesn't squeal at all and there is no evidence on the rotor that it rubs. I have to pull up the handbrake around 4 clicks to have it sit right. Jason should be able to post on his experience on the track.

For the most part, the instructions provided with the brakes are worthless at best. If anyone has questions about installation, PM me and I will give what help I can. It took me 3 hours for the right rear alone (Figuring out how it all laid out) and then 1 hour for the rest. Now to check my rotors.....

Tim
Gene I think it is very important to check the vains in the rotors, but I think yours should be fine. Sig had a special case due to the fact that he ordered specific rotors that are not usually sent out with the kit. He wanted a slotted only, and every rotor can have their slots in any direction, but the veins are what matters. Gene although you did not buy the kit from SWR, when the new e brake design comes out I will contact you so I can handle your situation. I Also wanted to point out after speaking to Sig a few times, he assured me that the brakes worked very well. The new 1.5 radial mount setup will increase their track performance even more by decreasing any caliper flex. For those who have bought the kit and track their cars please contact me, so I can offer you the proper track compound brake pads for the kit. Brake pad compound is one of the most important factors in breaking. Your brakes are only as good as your pads. At this time, the full four wheel kit will no longer be offered until the new e brake solution is finished. All other kits will continued to be offered.
Best Regards,
Mike

speed within reach said:
Gene I think it is very important to check the vains in the rotors, but I think yours should be fine. Sig had a special case due to the fact that he ordered specific rotors that are not usually sent out with the kit. He wanted a slotted only, and every rotor can have their slots in any direction, but the veins are what matters. Gene although you did not buy the kit from SWR, when the new e brake design comes out I will contact you so I can handle your situation. I Also wanted to point out after speaking to Sig a few times, he assured me that the brakes worked very well. The new 1.5 radial mount setup will increase their track performance even more by decreasing any caliper flex. For those who have bought the kit and track their cars please contact me, so I can offer you the proper track compound brake pads for the kit. Brake pad compound is one of the most important factors in breaking. Your brakes are only as good as your pads. At this time, the full four wheel kit will no longer be offered until the new e brake solution is finished. All other kits will continued to be offered.
Best Regards,
Mike
Wow, I'm not sure where to start...
As Mike mentioned, I didn't purchase my BBK from SWR. A quick search will show that Craig was the guinny pig (so to speak) for the Wilwood kit. He and I exchanged many PM's, where I then contacted the Wilwood developer, long before SWR arranged an exclusive deal with SWR. Therefore, my deal was more or less direct, being that I had FX purchase the BBK from Brake Zone while my car was being turbo prepped. I want to make a few points clear: I did not initiate this thread in an effort for SWR to respond. As far as I'm concerened SWR need not defend anything from the origination of this thread. I simply wanted to know if I was in the minority with the e-brake issue, as well as wanting to know how they have performed under track-like conditions. However, their response is more than welcome, and I hope it's appreciated, as I certainly appreciate it. They owe me zilch.

Secondly, I did talk to Sig about the performace of the kit on the track. In short, excelent reviews. The only negative was outside the track, and is the same concern I hold- the e-brake.

As to the vanes, I am certainly having them checked, but they are taking a back-seat to another issue right now. :D

As far as pads, I should be covered there. I have two sets; Street and track. Additionally, Sherwin owes me a favor for an additional set whe time comes.

Mike, I'm honestly blown away that you would offer your assistance with the e-brake issue. Quite frankly, it's going above and beyond. :cool:

There is a full page article in the newest issue of Super Street about the custom Wilwood kits made by Brakezone, The article mentions the NSX kit, which we at SWR feel very lucky to be sole distributor of.

It is a very positive article, and talks about what goes in to designing a functional big brake kit. If anybody is on the fence about the kit try to get a copy of the mag and read the article.

Best Regards,

Mike

Last edited:
What problem are you having specifically? The Wilwood bracket mounts in front of the stock mounting "ears." The bolts mount from the inside, through the "ears" and then into the Wilwood bracket. I used locktite to make sure that they don't come loose. The brake caliper then mounts parallel to the "ears" with the bolts going through the caliper and then into the bracket. Again, I used loctite on the bolt. The new rotor goes on before the caliper and the pads go on after the caliper is in place and tightened down. I hope this helps.

Tim

Nsx Service Girl said:
We are all on there, but when you mount caliper on the bracket it hits the outside of the rotor, hence "not centered".

Hi,

We have opened an SR and are working up to a resolution this morning, and will be in contact shortly as we may need more information.

Regards,

John

Nsx Service Girl said:
We are all on there, but when you mount caliper on the bracket it hits the outside of the rotor, hence "not centered".

I think it sounds like the problem might be as described below - Tim (edit) says "in front of" & I think he means by that towards the outside of the car i.e. closest to you if you are facing the hub.
I suspect your technician might have the bracket located towards the inside (or behind if using Tim's(edit) vernacular) with the bolts going through the other way, with heads of bolts closest to you.

jorligan said:
The Wilwood bracket mounts in front of the stock mounting "ears." The bolts mount from the inside, through the "ears" and then into the Wilwood bracket. ....

Last edited:
Back