• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice/Thoughts: Looking for work in the US

hello all,

Long time no post, hope everyone is well.

I graduated with a degree in Science from university early last year, and I've been working for Environment Canada for about a year now, give or take. I have experience, and I have skills both in the field of chemisty and biology.

However, work isn't stable here, and I cannot work here permanently. My work contract ends here early October, and I strongly doubt it will be entended due to lack of funds.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I've decided to pursue one of my goals/dreams which was to work in the US, preferably San Francisco (I have NO contacts in the US, however I am more familiar with SF than any other US city). I've always wanted to work in the US, ever since high school, and now I think I have a good amount of skills, a good degree from a reputable university (yea, B. Sc's are not worth much nowadays, but better than nothing), a good volunteer background, and a good amount of relevant work experience.

I want to find work in the field of science, preferably in the lab. There are a lot of online places that would recruit me, like monster.com or kellyscientific.com but I am not a US citizen. So now is the first step, which is always the most difficult one: Finding work in a foreign country without connections.

Does anyone here know of individuals who are from other countries and have found work, and work in the US?

Any other website links, connections, etc?

Green card clarification? I don't think I need one, from what I have read online, all I need is the US company to sponsor me.

Any bits of relevant advice, or thoughts?

I'll post more as I gather my thoughts, but thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

If you're going to enter the US under an H1-B VISA, you will have to wait another year as I think the quota has already been met. That means you can only enter via a TN (to work) but I'm not sure what types of jobs your degree could land you. Read up on the North American Free Trade Agreement as it pertains to TN VISA's and you'll figure out what types of jobs you qualify for.

The Green Card process is a long journey. If you are fortunate enough to land a job in the US, I would advise you to start the Green Card process immediately. But first things first, do a web search and read up on TN VISA's. It's the easiest/quickest way to get a work VISA.

Back