• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cool, I can ask you local guys a question:

I need to swap out my shocks. Should I get Tein (or some other brand coil overs) or just get the bilsteins?? (I have dali springs on John's old shocks right now)

What's everyone's thought on this? I want my car to handle better...don't drive it much except for the weekends, so I don't mind if it's a little harsh...I think I'm ready for an adjustable suspension.

I really like the Tein mono flex that Jackson had.
It felt softer than Tein RA at full soft.
The only downside is mono flex is heavier than RA.

I think Dean has a set of Tein RA sitting in his garage.

Is the Tein RA too firm or something? How much weight are we talking about here, over the stock set up?

springrate.jpg

The weight of the shock itself, The RA might save 10 to 15lbs each compare to the monoflex.
The RA is made with alum body. But I guess they discontinued with that lineup.

The newer monoflex probably have better damping setting, so despite the higher spring rate, it actually felt softer than the RA.

Last edited:
I bought my NSX with Tien and the EFDC option.

Great for street driving where the firm setting is still not that harsh.

Koni has been my favorite in other car applications, but the firm will chip ur teeth. Soft is not that bad. Bottom line is that it seems to have a wider range than the Tiens that I have.

I have the Tein RA's....

There are pretty stiff, but they handle pretty crazy.

hmmm, this seems to be a question waiting for me to answer...

I had Tein RA for quite a while and have most of my track events done with it. For a Street/Track vehicle, I really had no compliant with them. It's definately good enough to handle the stickier R tyres too. Compared to Polar's car, I would say it's not as confidence inspiring as R suspension but performance wise, it's not that far off either.

I wished my car can still drives normal so I could just take you out for a spin and let you decide yourself.

I would say though, is there anything better out there? sure! Tein will have a new Super Racing for nsx application, I got the email from Tein but then I decided to go with Comptech Pro based on Andrie's recommendation... In fact we turn it up a knob to make it better....
BUT, if you are going for less weight and for performane/$$, the Tein RA is a good choice.

Especially, you could:
1. Get the set from Dean that's half price off the original price. OR,

2. If you could wait, you could have mine for even cheaper and have Tein rebuilt it and revalved for little change. I called Tein when I need my front one serviced, it's around $200 including shipping to and from Japan and take about a month. I had heard good things about revalved RA.

Teins. The second hand hand-me-down RA's are always a good option, and you can get them serviced as Ferrand mentioned would be cheapest option.

Another alternative is that I can get Eddie to get you a deal for a full mono-flex package plus corner weight and alignment means one stop shopping and all new gear.

Either way, I would really lean towards the Single way Teins for budget over the Eibach+ Bilsteins as you can then set the ride height, spring pre-load, etc... = more all around adjustability. They also come with nice upper mounts and the micro speed valve IMO they take the cake for all around value.

If you need a review, I can also put you in contact with another NSX member, whom we just secured a set of the mono's for last month. He was very happy. Just drop me a PM.

Thanks for all the pointers...I get confused easily when it comes to suspension...makes my head spin.

Best places to buy these?? (Besides the RA's from Dean)

I was thinking the RA...seems lighter. I guess there are other coil overs out there as well...I need to talk to Dean I imagine and see if he wants to part ways.

Hola

Thought I'd chime in. John referred me to Eddie at adrenalineracing.com to get my Monoflexs :biggrin: Eddie is a nice guy and is a great resource, he really took the time to explain my setup. I just had them installed on my car yesterday, drove it about 30 miles last night, still need an alignment....my first impressions :eek: much better than I had hoped for. I'm dropped pretty low, haven't measured but I'm guessing a finger in the front and a finger and half in the rear and I'm set at the stiffest ride and it was amazingly pleasant driving it home. I love the flexibility of being able to adjust height and adjust the ride characteristics. John - thanks for the hookup!

My first impressions, you can NOT go wrong with the monoflex setup.

Good luck
Danny

Teins. The second hand hand-me-down RA's are always a good option, and you can get them serviced as Ferrand mentioned would be cheapest option.

Another alternative is that I can get Eddie to get you a deal for a full mono-flex package plus corner weight and alignment means one stop shopping and all new gear.

Either way, I would really lean towards the Single way Teins for budget over the Eibach+ Bilsteins as you can then set the ride height, spring pre-load, etc... = more all around adjustability. They also come with nice upper mounts and the micro speed valve IMO they take the cake for all around value.

If you need a review, I can also put you in contact with another NSX member, whom we just secured a set of the mono's for last month. He was very happy. Just drop me a PM.

I was thinking the RA...seems lighter. I guess there are other coil overs out there as well...I need to talk to Dean I imagine and see if he wants to part ways.

I believed he wanted to sell them as he no longer have the nsx, it's more like a question of if it's still available... like I said, you could get mine and send them to Tein to rebuild it.

I believed he wanted to sell them as he no longer have the nsx, it's more like a question of if it's still available... like I said, you could get mine and send them to Tein to rebuild it.

Ok..missed that part. Not exactly all that excited about shipping them off to Tein for a rebuild, but perhaps we can talk about that.

<---- the Aforementioned Eddie.
Just give me a call at the shop and I can walk you through all of the options in the most non confusing way.

Heck..if I dont carry what you need I can always refer you to the right person!

Back