• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 future at COTA in jeopordy?

I just heard while watching the Brazilian F1 practice on NBCSN that Texas pulled $5.5M (from $25M to $19.5M) in funding for the latest (and future) F1 race at Austin and this could jeopardize future F1 races there.

It is true that the funds were pulled. They may still release funds to help pay for F1 to come, but it is unknown if it will happen or not at this moment. The track needs to be run better than it currently is for a number of reasons. The COTA experience at F1 isn't drawing the attendees they did the first year. There are many things that make the track funds not likely to come back from the state.

This is a damned shame. I attended the inaugural race at COTA, and the facility is spectacular. It is really unfortunate F1 siphons so much $$ from promoters. It is difficult for promoters to make a profit when F1 has their hands so far in their pockets.

This year was a disaster with the weather keeping people away and severely affecting the concession sales. To say nothing of the spectacle of the F1 product. It's been said over and over, but a good part of the allure of watching an F1 race in person was the noise. These V6 hybrids, while technologically incredible, just don't do it for me. My god, the sound of the V10s and V8s were simply incredible. NOTHING is louder, except Top Fuel dragsters: not NASCAR, not sports cars, not Indy cars and as far as I'm concerned, The V10/V8 era will always remain the pinnacle for me. (I didn't see the small-displacement turbo era in person, so I can't relate.)

Back