• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

License Plate Spacing in Cali

Go to CA DMV for information on special interest and personalized license plates.

RyRy210 said:
Can you leave 2 spaces in between words on a California License Plate? For example, TYPE_ _ R? Thanks!

RyRy,
Yes you can, however, the DMV lets you also use half spaces on plates. They have setup 8 spaces on the configuration when entering plate numbers/letters. So, if you had 6 letters/numbers and had 2 half spaces, it would all fit on the plate. Sound confusing? Here's how it works. If you want TYPE_ _R, you need to determine where you also want a half space, because that is only 7 caracters on a 8 caracter entry screen on the computer. I'll give you an example of the delima I had when ordering plates for my trailer. I wanted FUN BOX(got it) and said to evenly space it. I was asked where do want the half space. What? No half space, just a full space in the center. Sounds easy, huh? Well, they set up 8 spaces for a 7 spaced plate. This is because if I had 2 half spaces and 6l etters/numbers, it would all fit and equal a total of 7 caracters. So, they had a big pow wow(2 managers and 3 workers) and decided to put the half space at the beginning like this [half space FUN space BOX]. It came 6weeks later spaced wrong. So, we reorderd the plates with the space at the end like this [FUN space BOX half space] and they were correct. I would guess that you could have yours like this [TYPE space space half space R] and it would look fine. Or you could also do it like this [TYPE space space R half space] and would probably look better. Good luck!
John

Doh! I ordered the wrong spacing. Anytime, how did you cancel your order? I know I can't get a refund, so how can I reorder? Do I have to fill out that form again and resubmit to the DMV? Such a pain!

RyRy210 said:
Doh! I ordered the wrong spacing. Anytime, how did you cancel your order? I know I can't get a refund, so how can I reorder? Do I have to fill out that form again and resubmit to the DMV? Such a pain!

You could have them call Sacramento and check to see if it went thru. Then, you can apply the amount towards the correct one. If you ordered the plate and then changed your mind, they won't give you a refund. If you can believe it, prisoners still make the plates. :eek:

Ted, you cant get 8 characters - only 7, but you can also get a half space by clicking the small box below
For example - if you use my plate # as an example, you fill in the 7 letters in the top row pull-down menu & you will see it doesn't look exactly right; then you can click the box in the second row to create the half space between the D & E & it will change before your eyes.
This leaves room for my hand-drawn ' between the D & E
pain.gif

D'Ecosse said:

This leaves room for my hand-drawn ' between the D & E
pain.gif

Can we do that? (Write and put stuff on the plates?)

I went to the DMV and waited 2 hours for my custom plates just to see it off-centered.

I had them re-order it. If it happens again, I'm willing to live with it and put a NSX sticker on it or something. Is that allowed? It sure beats spending an extra 2 hours in line.

Perfect centering

I had my personalized plate F16 JR centered prefectly. On the form given by the DMV it wasn't possible to write down the configuration for a perfect alignment. The form had only seven spaces. On the DMV's computer, they have eight spaces presumably for half spaces. To get my place centered (six characters including a space), I used HALFSPACE F 1 6 SPACE J R HALFSPACE. This consists of eight actual entries. The DMV rep told me it was exactly for these situation.

The TYPE R (six characters including a space) can be centered perfectly by ordering HALFSPACE T Y P E SPACE R HALFSAPCE.

I ordered my plate in person at the DMV. The website only gives you seven spaces. If you had six characters and wanted to half spaces to center it perfectly, you can't do it on the DMV website. Just order the plate in person and have the DMV rep verify it.

Last edited:
Okay, okay.

So...

If I were to order a plate with 6 figures on it, it will be perfectly-centered if it goes like this?

[halfspace] A B C D E F [halfspace]

Don't trust the DMV website. That's how I got jacked.

Joel, that's what the lady at DMV said. And that what she re-ordered for me. (Even though I ordered via the website that way!) She did the half space, my 6 characters, then another halfspace. Then on the paper application, she circled the whole thing and wrote "CENTERED" in the middle.

It might be worth it to you to wait in the DMV line for 2000 hours just to make sure they do it right. It beats waiting 1-2 months, seeing that it's wrong, then go through the hassle of waiting in line and fixing it anyway. (Like what I am going through right now.) Now I have to wait another 1-2 months. Errr... then wait in line again!!! Errrrrrrrrr :mad: