• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Repainting wiper arms

The paint on my wiper arms is fading / wearing off with the result that the metal is starting to show through. I was planning on touching them up with a spray bomb. Most of the trim paints that I have seen tend to have more of a satin finish and the wiper arms appear to be a flat black (at least it is flat black now). Has anybody done this and have any suggestions for a suitable paint? I was thinking about the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (which has a really flat finish) or the Eastwood flat chassis black.

good thread,i need to do this,too.i'm also wondering how hard it was to take the arms off for those that have done it,if they're sometimes stuck on.

good thread,i need to do this,too.i'm also wondering how hard it was to take the arms off for those that have done it,if they're sometimes stuck on.

I used SEM Trim Black, took them down to bare metal as much as possible. I used a small 2 jaw gear puller to gently pop them off, since you can't pry without risk of damaging the plastic surround. the previous owner sprayed them in place... and just like everything else he did to the car, it made things worse.

It's a common issue on Hondas from early 90's. Most successful repairs involve using brake caliper paint (high temperature) as these can get burning hot if they stay in the sun and that's what is causing the paint to peel off.

I used flat black $1.59 spray paint on about 30 NSX customers not one complaint.

Most successful repairs involve using brake caliper paint (high temperature) as these can get burning hot if they stay in the sun and that's what is causing the paint to peel off.

What brand of caliper paint? All the caliper paints that I am familiar with are either gloss or semi gloss.

- - - Updated - - -

I've refinished wiper arms in my other cars with ceramic coated matte black. It's the toughest finish against the elements and UV rays.

What brand of paint?

On a lot of the older hondas I had, I just used krylon flat black or gloss black (depending on the look you want, but I prefer matte). Never prepped or anything. Just remove, spray and wait to dry.

On a lot of the older hondas I had, I just used krylon flat black or gloss black (depending on the look you want, but I prefer matte). Never prepped or anything. Just remove, spray and wait to dry.

+1 and never had an issue with them after.

I have done the same as Dennis. It works well. Just use a flat black spray paint. Prep, prime, then spray several coats.
Looks Oem when finished.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to add,
If your cowl trim or any other rubber/ plastic bits are in need of replacement, buy some Mothers brand "back to black" it saved me hundreds! It really works and lasts. Wipe on ,buff, then wipe dry.

my wife use to have a Grand Cherokee 4x4 and we used that back to black stuff it works really good never used it on the NSX though

Close your eyes now if you are sensitive to SACRILEGE.

Black Kiwi Leather Dye (available in most groceries) will do the job. No removal necessary. Apply a thin layer and you're done. Two layers a day apart if necessary.

It also works exceptionally well on the rear window trim and the front bumper spoiler, as well as, of course, any worn areas on the seats.

Flame away!

no flame,interesting idea.have you actually used it on wiper arms?

my wife use to have a Grand Cherokee 4x4 and we used that back to black stuff it works really good never used it on the NSX though
I was skeptical at first, but it truely does work. The best part is, if your not carful applying it and it touches paint or windows, it easily comes off without damage. I was amazed how it restored my rear hatch trim which looked really ugly.
Dozens of high pressure washes later, it still looks brand new.

Lots of interesting comments.

I was intrigued with the leather dye trick, in part because I had some on hand. Rather than do the 'full meal deal', I decided to just experiment on the blade holder. If things went badly, it would be easier to remediate.

The leather dye fix did not work out so well for me. It may have been poor application on my part; however, I found it exceedingly difficult to get a smooth finish with the dauber. The dye appears to be alcohol based and the daytime high temps here have been hitting the low 90s. As a result the dye was drying very quickly which made maintaining any kind of wet edge difficult. The up-side is that it wasn't very hard to remove with the use of a little acetone mixed with water. I sprayed the blade holder with the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator which gave a nice even matte finish. We will see how durable it is. The wing on the drivers side blade is plastic and has a slight satin finish on it so I sprayed it with some adhesion promoter and Dupli Color bumper finish.

On closer inspection, the wiper arms still had their paint intact (it was the blade holders that were looking scabby) so I just treated them with the Back to Black. The only down side is that the Back to Black seems to leave a glossy finish.

wiper blades?? what are those:tongue:

don't really need them in So Cal so I just took them off, looks so much cleaner without them....

although I did re-spray them with normal flat black spray paint without any sanding and they came out great... took all of 2 minutes, then put them away in the garage:biggrin:

Last edited:
I was intrigued with the leather dye trick, ... The leather dye fix did not work out so well for me... the daytime high temps here have been hitting the low 90s. As a result the dye was drying very quickly
Low 90's in Saskatchewan! And people think climate change is a hoax. (I grew up in Saskatoon, and the highest temp I ever felt was mid 80's; but then maybe you live south of Maple Creek)
Yes, the leather dye will dry out very quickly and work poorly in high temperatures. When I used it, it was in the morning in the garage, perhaps 72 degrees.

Low 90's in Saskatchewan! And people think climate change is a hoax. (I grew up in Saskatoon, and the highest temp I ever felt was mid 80's; but then maybe you live south of Maple Creek)
Yes, the leather dye will dry out very quickly and work poorly in high temperatures. When I used it, it was in the morning in the garage, perhaps 72 degrees.

Not in the south west, in the QC. We were on the cool end of the nineties, I think it hit 96 or 97 F last Friday in Saskatoon. I did the experiment in the shade of my garage; however, if I wanted 72 deg, I would have to do it at 2:00 in the morning or perhaps wait until September.

Back