• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Strange sound comming from the console and engine

Tonight I decided to sit inside my car and spend some quality time with the car. As I put the key in and let it click in (position right before you start the car) I noticed a what seemed to be like a sound of a small motor of some sort within the center console, a sound I never heard of before. As I listen closely to it, it is comming exactly from right underneath the hand brake positioning. I tried turning the radio off, the a/c off but it still keeps going until I take the key out. Does anyone have any idea what that sound may be comming from?

Another sound I noticed is from the engine. During accelleration, it has a very distinctive sound which I do not know how to explain but it is quite loud and can drive a person crazy especially since my radio is not working at the moment. I drove my friends 02 a few nights ago and he has the same sound in the car during accelleration only not as loud. I have a 96. It sounds like its comming from the passenger side of engine. I assume its quite normal but I was wondering what are some of the things I can do to dampen the sound. Sorry I wish I could explain it better. Thanks in advance.

Do you have an automatic? For my automatic, there is a sound, quite unnoticeable, coming just underneath the shifting lever that I'm not sure if is the same for manual cars.

For the second sound, are you referring to valve clicking sounds?

I have a manual but we might be talking about the same noise.

As for the engine, it may be the valve. I really don't know. If it is, is there something I can do to lessen the noise level?

unit-x said:
As for the engine, it may be the valve. I really don't know. If it is, is there something I can do to lessen the noise level?

If you think the sound is valves clicking you should be able to hear it from outside the car. And if the sound is repetitive at a pretty constant rate, it's likely to be the valves clicking and maybe need a valve adjust, has it been done in your previous services? The job is about $3xx cdn here.

I've yet to look into the center console sound on mine too, it is so quiet that I had to put my ear right next to the grill to hear.

I have the same sound coming from my dash that is driving me loco :eek: . I have pin pointed it to the intake temp. fan by the handbrake. I'll try blowing some air in it or the dash is coming off.

Fougeee said:
I have the same sound coming from my dash that is driving me loco :eek: . I have pin pointed it to the intake temp. fan by the handbrake. I'll try blowing some air in it or the dash is coming off.
Blowing air WORKED FOR ME!!!

Back