• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vendor Idea - A Real Baffled Oil Pan With Trap Doors

It looks like from a few of the other vendor threads here that a few may be pushing the limits a bit higher on the track (with those speedy racks and fancy Penske dampers) that a real baffled oil pan with correctly-designed trap doors would be better than the simple plates offered currently. While these plates do offer some delay in keeping oil from sloshing away from the pickup in a high-g turn, they also hinder the reflood of oil back to the pickup once the corner has cleared and you're back at WOT.

You could probably cut up OEM pans to optimize the bottom geometry and provide a bit more oil volume for that lost due to the doors and keep the cost down. It shouldn't be too hard to do. A quick google search brings up all kinds of examples done to other vehicles' pans.

Dave

I like this idea! I have a baffle with a trap door on my track s2000. I'd love one for the NSX.

Due to the NSX's very small oil pan and transverse engine layout, it really doesn't need or will benefit from an overly complex baffle design. If you increase the capacity (which is another very important thing for high demand uses -tracked cars, turboed cars, turboed track cars), then you do need something more complex than the typical top plate.

Top plate baffle designs (SOS & STMPO/FXMD) are proven and quite effective at preventing oil from sloshing up on the 'shelf' of the left side of the oil pan during long right-hand corners. Unfortunately most of these baffles are not seam-welded and often have a gap where the plate meets this 'shelf' -thus greatly reducing the effectiveness of keeping oil in the deep sump in right hand corners. Ideally, you want the top plate to be flush against and seam-welded to the 'shelf' (like in the STMPO-FXMD baffle). While most baffles aren't ideal in this regard, all of them do a great job at allowing oil to drain back into the sump, so I disagree with your comments of 'restricting reflood'.

Taken from an old thread: (this is an informational post and NOT a for sale post since FXMD and STMPO no longer sells products. It's not too hard to install a SOS or make a pan like this):

STMPO-FXMD Race Series Oil Pan Baffle

STMPO-FXMDBaffle2.jpg

STMPO-FXMDBaffle.jpg

STMPO-FXMDOilBafflediagram.jpg

The STMPO Race Products-FXMD Race Series Oil Pan Baffle is Made in the USA out of lazer-cut steel and reduces oil starvation.

The NSX's oil pan has no baffling from the factory and it is known to have oil starvation in a stock car.

The STMPO baffle is designed with thin slots that allow oil to drain back into the sump without restriction while greatly reducing and slowing down the oil from escaping the pickup and pooling in the upper 'ledge'. The tolerances of this baffle are very tight which ensures a good seal with the pan to keep the oil where it needs to be.

"Since it is possible to have oil starvation in a stock car on street tires, an oil pan baffle is probably the best investment you can make to ensure the safety of your motor for both street or track use. The cost of this $45 baffle (plus needed labor to drop the pan and weld it in) is more than worth the value of your $10-25K stock or built motor. I highly recommend this to anyone who tracks their car and feel its a great investment for any NSX owner" - Billy Johnson

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the above baffle design is more than enough for 95% of the people out there, however to take it to the next level and offer something better, I would be more interested in a pan with an 2-3 quart capacity increase -which would require the more complex baffling that you're talking about.

morroso does a civic oil pan which is basically a stock oil pan with an extension welded (for extra capacity) on and baffles etc maybe they would do an NSX one with enough people.

I did start on a custom design but ended up buying an ARC pan instead.

I have the 3d cad file for the flange but got no further (and that task of itself was quite painstaking as there appears to be no datum in which to measure)

We have special cast aluminum pan's that are made by RFY, they have 1.3L extra oil capacity, internal baffling and cooling fins.
Not only do you have more oil thus more heat capacity the cast aluminum acts as heat sink, the baffle is also height adjustable.

139-racing-oil-pan-1.jpg
139-racing-oil-pan-3.jpg

More details: http://as-motorsport.com/site/en/rf-yamamoto-m-2/racing-oil-pan-p-139

Attachments

• 139-racing-oil-pan-1.jpg
    139-racing-oil-pan-1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Back